Lose Fat Gain Weight

Options
blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
WEEK 21 Report of 21:3 IF DIET with Saturday Cheat Day (I lost fat and gained muscle)

Start Weight/Height/Age/Start Date:
252 / 6'1" / 54 / 06 Sept 2015

Weekly Weight Loss:
4, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4, 1, 2, (2), 0, 3, 1, 2, 0

Total Weight Loss:
35-lbs / 21-wks

Current Weight:

Goal Weight:
199, 18 to go

Exercise:

I have changed workout routine to the following:
Mon/Thurs: walk/jog, weights (dead lift, shrugs, leg press, calf press)
Tues/Fri: weights (lat pull, mil press, bench, row, upright row, dip, abs), easy bike cardio
Sat: Long walk( in the mountains if can)
Wed/Sun: Rest

It was too hard doing all the lifts on Tues and Thurs fasted. Doing it this way I'm not bonking while fasted and can do all the workouts still fasted.

I'm at a 10 min continuous jog and adding 1 min each work out. I get in about 22 min of walking and 3x1 fast laps also

Week's Comments:

I didn't lose any weight this week, but there is some good news!

I got weighed on an InBody machine today (2/3/16). Comparing results with an InBody weighing on 1/4/16, I lost 4.8 lbs of weight, BUT that was from a 9.9 lb fat loss and a 5.1 lb muscle GAIN!

I'm losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time! I just started doing weights a week before the January assessment and I'm taking 50g whey protein powder each day in addition to what I eat in the 3-hr eating window.

I'm stoked because I knew I hadn't lost much weight but also knew I lost a belt size and am getting stronger in lifts so I suspected I had gained some muscle.

Went from 26.6% body fat to 24.0%

Replies

• muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    in less than a month you think you put on 5lbs of muscle??? might want to have that machine checked because that did not happen!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Never a cheat DAY. Only a cheat MEAL!
  • blambo61
    Options
    in less than a month you think you put on 5lbs of muscle??? might want to have that machine checked because that did not happen!

I don't know if I did or not. I could see it being off a couple of lbs. Still I do think that I did gain some muscle and still lost fat for the month. More measurements in the future will tell. Also, I haven't lifted for a long time so I might gain quickly at first.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    5lbs of muscle gain in a month is unlikely, esp if you are in a deficit. InBody isn't 100%. I could get three different readings 3 days in a row. I would look for trends, as in seeing the body fat gradually declining.
    A bodybuilder on a surplus can expect 2lbs of muscle gain in one month. Muscle gains are actually hard. Good luck.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    5lbs of muscle gain in a month is unlikely, esp if you are in a deficit. InBody isn't 100%. I could get three different readings 3 days in a row. I would look for trends, as in seeing the body fat gradually declining.
    A bodybuilder on a surplus can expect 2lbs of muscle gain in one month. Muscle gains are actually hard. Good luck.

What everyone else is saying. You are actually probably losing muscle AND fat, sorry. Unless you are a male in your early 20s strength training for 5-6 hours a week and consuming 2.4g of protein per kg of body weight. Then maybe you are gaining SOME muscle.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I had a measurement before I started the diet in Sept. The one i had in January said I had lost 4.5 lbs of muscle and 24.5 lbs of fat. I started lifting about a week before the January measurement. Now it says I've gained about 5lbs of muscle and am back to about where I started from.

I know all measurements have innacuracies so I'm not taking those numbers as a fact. I do have high confidence though that I am gaining some muscle on this 21:3 IF diet though which is the main point. I at least don't want to lose muscle doing this if I can help it and I think this shows that I'm am not losing muscle and might be gaining some or if I'm losing (which I doubt) then it isn't very much.

By the way my skinny 17 year old son put on 25 lbs in 5.5 month hitting the weights hard. Not all muscle I'm sure but he did put on substantial muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go for a dexa scan

Unless you are an intermediate to advanced lifter drop the isolation exercises and go compound ...you'll see more progress
  • blambo61
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go for a dexa scan

Unless you are an intermediate to advanced lifter drop the isolation exercises and go compound ...you'll see more progress

I get the InBody for free and can do a BodPod for free so I will stick to that. I think most all my lifts are compound. About the only one I'm not doing is squats. I was doing them but they hurt my joints so I went to leg press which is still a compound lift.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A leg press is not compound as I would understand it

Although it does incorporate more than one joint I can see the reason for the difference in definition but to me a compound movement also engages the core and that's where a lot of the benefit lies

I thought Inbody was bio impedence not bodpod?
  • blambo61
    Options
    Understand what your saying. I would do squats but feels like an injury waiting to happen.

Inbody is based on impedance measurements. Bidpod is a volumetric measurement. Two separate pieces of equipment.