Long-term motivation tips needed

Options
I'm really struggling to lose weight. I can stay motivated for a week, or a month, but long-term motivation alludes me. Tips and tricks that you all have that keep you motivated through the tough times, through the temptations, and through the times you just want one cheat meal would be really appreciated!

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Motivation gets you started, but no one can keep motivation going forever. It's habit and consistency that are key to weight loss. You have to consistently remind yourself why you started, what your goals are. Write them down. Accomplish tiny things every day. The more you do, the more motivated you will be to continue. Also, if you falter, be kind to yourself, and get right back at it. You can do it. You're stronger than you think you are!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My long term tip - forget motivation. I posted this blog a while back:

Motivation is a fickle, changeable thing which can be fleeting, easily misdirected or lost. It means being enthusiastic and positively wanting to do something, which is great while it lasts, but what about when it goes? All you have to do is look around MFP to see how people struggle with a loss of motivation.

I'm past relying on motivation. I'm not motivated, I'm committed... I'm determined... but most of all I'm resigned. I'm not excited and well keen to get heathy, I HAVE to do it. I NEED to do it. It isn't a pass-time I can pick up and drop at will.

I'm not "motivated" to go to work in the morning. I do it because I have bills to pay, things I want to buy, a household to feed, a car to run and a lifestyle to sustain.

I'm not "motivated" to clean my house. I do it because I have a level of comfort to maintain, a desire to not live in dirty surroundings, a level of health I wish to keep up.

I don't clean the poop out of my cats litter tray because I'm "motivated". I do it because it stinks and is gross.

I don't make good choices with my food and haul my *kitten* out to go running because I'm "motivated". I do it because I have physical pain I want to lessen and/or avoid, a lifestyle I wish to attain/maintain, a level of health I want to keep up, and a desire not to live in substandard surroundings - in this case an unhealthy body.

I have been "dieting" for 18 years. I have joined Weight Watchers more than 12 times. I've done shake diets, I've counted calories and I considered a lapband. I have "fallen off the wagon" because I "lost motivation" more times than I can count.

Now this time, it's different. Sure, a lot of the time I'm motivated. But a hell of a lot of the time, I'm not. But I'm committed and resigned to the fact that unless I want my body to be unhealthy, miserable, unattractive and broken, I have to do this. Same way as I have to go to work when I can't be bothered, or have to clean my house when I'd rather sit on the couch in my jimjams.

This isn't optional any more. I've put it in the necessity basket. I'm not doing it because I want to - I'm doing it because I have to.

This has been about making this my new "normal". For so long, there was "normal" and there was "dieting". Now sensible choices have to be normal, and the splurges are the anomalies. So there's no needing to get back on the wagon, it's just going back to normal. I think that's what I never got when people said it was a 'lifestyle change'. It's kind of like when I quit smoking. For the longest time I was a smoker who had quit. Then eventually, slowly, I was a non-smoker. This kind of feels like that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    sign up for a race. a half marathon, a triathlon, something. it'll keep you focused long term.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My long term tip - forget motivation. I posted this blog a while back:

Motivation is a fickle, changeable thing which can be fleeting, easily misdirected or lost. It means being enthusiastic and positively wanting to do something, which is great while it lasts, but what about when it goes? All you have to do is look around MFP to see how people struggle with a loss of motivation.

I'm past relying on motivation. I'm not motivated, I'm committed... I'm determined... but most of all I'm resigned. I'm not excited and well keen to get heathy, I HAVE to do it. I NEED to do it. It isn't a pass-time I can pick up and drop at will.

I'm not "motivated" to go to work in the morning. I do it because I have bills to pay, things I want to buy, a household to feed, a car to run and a lifestyle to sustain.

I'm not "motivated" to clean my house. I do it because I have a level of comfort to maintain, a desire to not live in dirty surroundings, a level of health I wish to keep up.

I don't clean the poop out of my cats litter tray because I'm "motivated". I do it because it stinks and is gross.

I don't make good choices with my food and haul my *kitten* out to go running because I'm "motivated". I do it because I have physical pain I want to lessen and/or avoid, a lifestyle I wish to attain/maintain, a level of health I want to keep up, and a desire not to live in substandard surroundings - in this case an unhealthy body.

I have been "dieting" for 18 years. I have joined Weight Watchers more than 12 times. I've done shake diets, I've counted calories and I considered a lapband. I have "fallen off the wagon" because I "lost motivation" more times than I can count.

Now this time, it's different. Sure, a lot of the time I'm motivated. But a hell of a lot of the time, I'm not. But I'm committed and resigned to the fact that unless I want my body to be unhealthy, miserable, unattractive and broken, I have to do this. Same way as I have to go to work when I can't be bothered, or have to clean my house when I'd rather sit on the couch in my jimjams.

This isn't optional any more. I've put it in the necessity basket. I'm not doing it because I want to - I'm doing it because I have to.

This has been about making this my new "normal". For so long, there was "normal" and there was "dieting". Now sensible choices have to be normal, and the splurges are the anomalies. So there's no needing to get back on the wagon, it's just going back to normal. I think that's what I never got when people said it was a 'lifestyle change'. It's kind of like when I quit smoking. For the longest time I was a smoker who had quit. Then eventually, slowly, I was a non-smoker. This kind of feels like that.

Hear, hear!

And, as one of the older ones here, the longer you are on this earth, the more non-optional it becomes. Getting up from the floor becomes more difficult each decade that passes. And they pass fast. Your annual check-up becomes a run of tests and appointments, and they are not optional. Whatever your age, folks, do it now. Not because you have an important date coming up, not because you want to look good at the beach or at the gym, do it for your current and future health. You do not get a 'do over'. Take care of your joints, your diet, your strength, your mental and physical health and the rest gets easier. You, and a life with years of living in it, that is your motivation.
  • jjelly_swag
    jjelly_swag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First off, have a cheat meal!! Eat low fat foods the rest of the day. I always work out and have low fat food during the day, and have a cheat meal for dinner one time a week. It won't set you back if you don't overdo it. Everything in moderation!

Take progress pictures of yourself every 8 weeks. I prefer in underwear, you can see the most difference. Remember when you want an extra cheat meal or you don't want to work out when you know you should...that progress picture is coming! Set a small attainable goal for a couple weeks out...tell a friend so you know you have to stay accountable.

I do fasted cardio (cardio on an empty stomach) about 4-5 times a week when I'm losing weight. I get up early and knock it out...it sucks to get up that early and get out of my comfy bed...but I set a song that gets me pumped up for my alarm. I hit snooze, and instead of going back to sleep, I watch an inspirational YouTube video, then go through some motivational pictures on my phone of women that have abs I want, legs I want, etc. Then I remind myself that it doesn't happen on its own, I have to go get it! I get my butt out of bed and go after it!

Just remind yourself you don't need motivation, it's a lifestyle. Just like breathing and drinking water, you need to keep your body healthy so it can take care of you.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to have mini goals. Last year, starting out, knowing that I had to lose almost 95 lbs seemed overwhelming. Motivation only lasts for so long. I decided to reward myself when I reached mini goals of 10% weight loss. I'm just over a pound away from my 3rd mini goal and have lost almost 65 lbs in just over a year. Consistency is the key.

The other thing that has helped me is remembering one bad choice isn't going to derail my weigh loss. It's how I react to that bad choice. I may have a meal or a day when I go over calories. Oh well, it's life. Before, I'd say "screw it, I'll start again Monday or next month or whenever" and it gave me an excuse to not care. Now I say, "okay next meal will be better or tomorrow I'll not go over". In the 13 months of my weight loss, I've only had 7 weeks that I gained weight and not two weeks in a row. I knew why I gained and what I needed to do to fix it.

Lastly, I'll say don't deprive yourself. Too often we feel that we can't have something, it's "bad" or "tempting" or whatever wording you want to use. Today I had chocolate cake and pizza. I ate it, I enjoyed it, I'm not worried about it. Staying within your calories is key. Some days the chocolate cake isn't worth the calories, some days it is. This isn't about what you can do in the short term to lose weight, it's what you can do forever to enjoy the foods you want to enjoy and lose and/or maintain your weight (depending on your goals at the time.)
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    When I went home for Christmas, I saw my parents side by side with some of their siblings and cousins who are roughly the same age (all in their 60s). Despite shared genetics, some of them look and feel terrible, whereas others, due to different lifestyle choices, look and feel fit and healthy. Something just clicked in my mind, and I realized that the cumulative choices that I make over the next 30 years (and beyond) will determine which camp I fall into. So, like @Alatariel75, I have been treating exercise and calorie-controlled eating like brushing my teeth or going to work--that is, non-optional. I've actually found it to be mentally liberating; it feels a bit like being on autopilot. I don't have to talk myself into making the healthier choice, I just do it. Sure, there are days where I eat junk or don't work out, but I don't feel like I've "fallen off the wagon." It's about the big picture. With a decades-long perspective, something like that is just a blip. I just get back on track at the next meal or the next day.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I feel like motivation is more of an emotion or feeling, but commitment is an action. To commit to a goal is to see it through, to be motivated to start is only the very first step. You don't need motivation, you need commitment and dedication to a specific goal.
  • thatthingyoudoula
    thatthingyoudoula Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated because I love the feeling of the small things I decided to do. My body craves exercise now. I crave the burnIng and aches because they mean I'm active. No more pain from not moving. Track my foods and watch the weight leave slowly, day by day. My body feels great.
  • lisac_71
    lisac_71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's the way it's a lifestyle change I love my training sessions am in the gym everyday before work and I swim every other day to mix it up. You know the saying no pain no gain it's very true indeed
  • lisac_71
    lisac_71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think communitys like this where people share there highs and lows can give inspiration to others we all gotta start somewhere the first step is the hardest and remembering your worth it to be the best you can be, sometimes we are so focused on there's we forget about ourselves. Sometimes you gotta be tough and draw a line in the sand and make a change