Do you guys think it's ok to eat.......

Options
Do you guys think it's ok to eat one unhealthy meal a week or every other week if I'm trying to get my cholesterol down and improve my A1C number? I know I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal for the day and still lose weight as that is how I lost weight before, but this time it's different for me. This time, i'm mostly eating to improve my horrible cholesterol and blood sugars (pre diabetic) and also lose weight. So, I've really turned my diet around and eat pretty healthy now. I started almost a month ago with lots of success, but I need to know if eating an unhealthy meal every now and then will keep my cholesterol from getting better. I'm wanting to eat chips and salsa and a taco tomorrow and am going to try to keep under my calorie goal, but I'm worried I will be screwing up my cholesterol and stuff. I mean, can I still be healthy and eat bad fats from time to time? I guess I'm looking for people who have experience with trying to get healthy on the inside?

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Its pretty simple

When you have a medical issue with a certain food group ( like carbs or salt etc) than yes it can harm you.

For me it is salt. So i can eat as healthy as i want but when i eat after months a high salt dinner i still rock my BP and chance of a heart attack.
    I have a medical issue with salt. that wont go away...simple

This is for everybody personal of course.
    My sugar levels were not good either 2 years ago, but they are good now and when i eat lots of sugar or carbs no problem at all.

95069916.png
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    salt does that to you, but u say once your sugar problems were gotten control of, then it was ok if u occasionally ate lots of sugar/carbs? Ok, but I'm wondering how it would work with cholesterol. Do I need to be perfect with my diet until cholesterol is under control or can I slip up every now and then and STILL get my cholesterol under control?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You have to discuss that with your doctor Nobody can give you any advice because it has to be lab tested if it is good and stays good

I had tests done so i know I can sugar normally. When i eat far to much yes i feel bad for a day but it returns back to normal. So i dont eat much added sugar. But sometimes i do. Everything in moderation for me. Exept salt which i can not use.

The sugar i was just lucky is my guess or in time to not get diabetic. But like i said before only your doctor can help you there. No forum member here can see how you are doing/blood work is. Or give you any medical advice because that is what you are looking for.

95069916.png
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    btw when i lost most of my excess weight it got better and better. So in some cases the situation change. For your doctor to check that out for you personally when you visit him.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    salt does that to you, but u say once your sugar problems were gotten control of, then it was ok if u occasionally ate lots of sugar/carbs? Ok, but I'm wondering how it would work with cholesterol. Do I need to be perfect with my diet until cholesterol is under control or can I slip up every now and then and STILL get my cholesterol under control?

The dietary cholesterol has very little effect on blood cholesterol levels.
    However, sugar and carbs in the diet have a strong connection to raised blood sugar levels. Do what you can for lowering the sugar.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Do low-carb, under 100 grams/day.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The 80/20 meal plan (20% unhealthy) doesn't work for some of us. I'm one cookie away from my highest weight.
  • MrRorschach
    MrRorschach Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Rorschach says yes it is
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

The dietary cholesterol has very little effect on blood cholesterol levels.
    However, sugar and carbs in the diet have a strong connection to raised blood sugar levels. Do what you can for lowering the sugar.

...but the A1C levels are not impacted by daily fluctuations due to what you consume in a given day etc...that is why it is used to monitor diabetes treatment adherence (and it Canada an the EU can be used to diagnose diabetes)....
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Consult you doctor
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey don't worry about eating a couple things outside your diet every once in a while, it'll keep you sane! If you're craving something, might as well just have a little bit of that craving every week or two. It's better than craving it, never satisfying the crave, and then binging on it! It's all about balance and what works the best for you in the long-term. In the end, it's just food and it'll get out of your body in a couple days. Just don't make a daily habit of it and you'll be just fine. Treat yourself to something nice every once in a while to keep you sane and to tell yourself you're doing a good job!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is lot of colesteral in chips, salsa and a taco.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and there are many sweets I can't eat. I'll have one serving a week, but it will still cause trouble for me. I know it will. So I'm taking medicine with me.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Hey don't worry about eating a couple things outside your diet every once in a while, it'll keep you sane! If you're craving something, might as well just have a little bit of that craving every week or two. It's better than craving it, never satisfying the crave, and then binging on it! It's all about balance and what works the best for you in the long-term. In the end, it's just food and it'll get out of your body in a couple days. Just don't make a daily habit of it and you'll be just fine. Treat yourself to something nice every once in a while to keep you sane and to tell yourself you're doing a good job!

So you really think i should eat some salty chips? or other salty foods even with a medical issue with salt?

Like the OP have some medical issues with other food groups.

95069916.png
  • OMP33
    Options

So you really think i should eat some salty chips? or other salty foods even with a medical issue with salt?

95069916.png

I'm just trying to help. If they have a medical issue with a food, obviously they shouldn't eat it.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options

95069916.png

I'm just trying to help. If they have a medical issue with a food, obviously they shouldn't eat it.

Than read
    She stated in her comments she has horrible cholesterol levels so as sugar
  • OMP33
    Options

95069916.png

Than read

If she's worried about her chol. levels, than cut out the meat, dairy, and eggs.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options

95069916.png

Than read

If she's worried about her chol. levels, than cut out the meat, dairy, and eggs.

Doctor isn't it?
    Giving medical advice...nice and free

OP for your question you really should look into some lab work and a real life doctor and or a dietitian. It is different for every person. And only your doctor can look into this for you.

And to give an example of @OMP33 great advice...when i should do what he says...his words "Treat yourself a bit" would kill me.

I dont say that this is for you the same, like i said nobody can look into your medical stats. But sure it is a very bad and general advice.

95069916.png
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options

95069916.png

Than read

Doctor isn't it?

OP for your question you really should look into some lab work and a real life doctor and or a dietitian. It is different for every person. And only your doctor can look into this for you.

And to give an example of @OMP33 great advice...when i should do what he says...his words "Treat yourself a bit" would kill me.

I dont say that this is for you the same, like i said nobody can look into your medical stats. But sure it is a very bad and general advice.

95069916.png

No need to be rude when I was trying to help. Obviously if you have a medical condition with a food, you should not eat it. I never said she or you had to eat foods that are medically bad for you when I said "treat yourself". Maybe "treating yourself" meant that she could have that extra bit of rice or good food she was wanting. You don't have to be rude and make fun of my advice when I was trying to help.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options

95069916.png

Than read

Doctor isn't it?

95069916.png

No need to be rude when I was trying to help. Obviously if you have a medical condition with a food, you should not eat it. I never said she or you had to eat foods that are medically bad for you when I said "treat yourself". Maybe "treating yourself" meant that she could have that extra bit of rice or good food she was wanting. You don't have to be rude and make fun of my advice when I was trying to help.

Well you are not helping.
    You dont read into the comment. You didn't say maybe you said Treat yourself sometimes.

( and looking at all your other postings were you make a sport of arguing with pretty successful weight loss losers here at the forum I would say that you should read a bit more here and learn)
    Just a general advice from somebody who done her bit, is a certified coach and nutritionist for more than 30 years.