Dear dietician...

Options
QueenofHearts023
QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Dear dietician:

I know I'm supposed to be staying away from sweets because they give me bad indigestion, after staying away for about 7 days (yes a full week), I have realised the following:

I'm never going to be able to eat them without digestive issues, many birthdays will pass without cake, many Christmas days will pass without Christmas puddings, many Holloweens will pass without candy, and so many valentines days will pass without chocolates.

Yes, for the next 77 years of my life, I will never put a piece of chocolate to my mouth again...for fear of stomach cramps and constipation, and drinking a handfull of pills to help that out...

Yes, never again will I ever be able to savour the deliciously sweet taste of confectionary...

Dear dietician, never - is a very long time...

**eats caramel chocolate truffle**

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No one gets digestive issues from sweets in general. If there is something in the foods you have mentioned that affects your health, figure out which ingredient it is and avoid it/replace it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I know what it is. It's mostly gluten and lactose, and then some other funny named ingredients too. But I only like certain types of sweets and those things are present in them.

But I've decided I will try and limit myself to 1-2 servings of them a week. Hopefully that won't be too bad.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Could you try substitutions? Like gluten free flour, almond milk etc? Especially in desserts, lactose free or even completely dairy free is easy. I was a few years total dairy free and sweets was the easiest part. Almond or hazelnut milk instead of cow milk, olive oil (or whatever other oil you like) instead of butter, and you are done. I have also baked cakes a few times with gluten free flour (for a friend, I am not intolerant) and there really was no difference in taste or texture.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Could you try substitutions? Like gluten free flour, almond milk etc? Especially in desserts, lactose free or even completely dairy free is easy. I was a few years total dairy free and sweets was the easiest part. Almond or hazelnut milk instead of cow milk, olive oil (or whatever other oil you like) instead of butter, and you are done. I have also baked cakes a few times with gluten free flour (for a friend, I am not intolerant) and there really was no difference in taste or texture.

The problem is the town where I live doesn't cater for those things. And when they do, it's ridiculously expensive. Literally 4 times the price of the normal stuff.

Gluten free stuff especially, you just don't find it here. Very limited options for lactose free.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    But yeah I'll try and figure something out. I just can't never eat those things again. Even if I have to buy normal ones, and drink medication afterwards, I will! I'd literally take the medicine over never eating sweets again. Lol
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I mean, I actually cried with delight 30 minutes ago when I had that truffle :joy: ...really, my eyes teared up -
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Tell me what you like? I've been dairy free (with a sweet tooth) for almost 15 years now, and can probably help.... :)
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Because I have inexpensive substitutes for all the things you list
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Cakes, cupcakes, cookies, fridge tarts, lemon meringue pie!, ice cream with caramel and chocolate pieces, chocolate, candybars - specifically candybars with a chocolate coating and nougat and caramel centre.... ugh...so many hahahahaha
  • LKArgh
    Options

The problem is the town where I live doesn't cater for those things. And when they do, it's ridiculously expensive. Literally 4 times the price of the normal stuff.

Gluten free stuff especially, you just don't find it here. Very limited options for lactose free.

You could order online.
    But mostly, try cooking/baking your own. It might have some trial and error, but it will help in the long run.
    Lactose free milk, soy milk, rice milk and even some nut milks, they are really not that expensive and for some things, like baking, you can even skip milk and substitutes completely. I usually bake a milk free chocolate cake, simply because I love its taste more than "regular" cake: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16779/vegan-chocolate-cake/ You can also skip completely milk from lemon meringue pie, the recipe I use does not even list it in the ingredients. Pies, cakes etc can be baked with any oil you like, so forget butter completely. I do not like the taste of butter anyway, and do not buy it frequently as it just sits there unused, so almost never have it available at home when I want to bake. I almost exclusively bake with olive oil, but pretty much any oil will do. Sunflower oil is also supposed to be good in baking, and obviously margarine, and both are cheap.
    Googling for vegan recipes will give you lots of ideas for dairy free recipes.

If you cannot find gluten free flour, you will need to experiment a bit, but there are a ton of blogs and recipe sites out there about gluten free. It is the latest fashion now to go gluten free, which means there a ton of recipes people who really need to be gluten free can benefit from.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

You could order online.
    But mostly, try cooking/baking your own. It might have some trial and error, but it will help in the long run.
    Lactose free milk, soy milk, rice milk and even some nut milks, they are really not that expensive and for some things, like baking, you can even skip milk and substitutes completely. I usually bake a milk free chocolate cake, simply because I love its taste more than "regular" cake: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16779/vegan-chocolate-cake/ You can also skip completely milk from lemon meringue pie, the recipe I use does not even list it in the ingredients. Pies, cakes etc can be baked with any oil you like, so forget butter completely. I do not like the taste of butter anyway, and do not buy it frequently as it just sits there unused, so almost never have it available at home when I want to bake. I almost exclusively bake with olive oil, but pretty much any oil will do. Sunflower oil is also supposed to be good in baking, and obviously margarine, and both are cheap.

If you cannot find gluten free flour, you will need to experiment a bit, but there are a ton of blogs and recipe sites out there about gluten free. It is the latest fashion now to go gluten free, which means there a ton of recipes people who really need to be gluten free can benefit from.

Yes, the gluten free fashion. This might just be me, but I find it so insulting that people who are healthy do it "just because". I feel like they're insinuating my illness doesn't exist. Lol

But as you said - more recipes.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

You could order online.

Yes, the gluten free fashion. This might just be me, but I find it so insulting that people who are healthy do it "just because". I feel like they're insinuating my illness doesn't exist. Lol

It's really immature of me. But I just can't help but be angry about it haha.
  • LKArgh
    Options

You could order online.

It's really immature of me. But I just can't help but be angry about it haha.

I agree. I really do not get it either, it is not just you. And it seems kind of insulting to people with real allergies and sensitivities when someone who is perfectly fine goes on and on about the benefits of an elimination, which was completely unnecessary to this person to begin with. I just want to shake the person and start yelling "Hello! There are people who are not doing this because the celebrity of the day said so, they are really sick, you know, with a real diagnosis, and real pain"
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need dr. Phil.