Does TV do a disservice to everyone with how they portray "average" in America?

Options
2»

Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    I've still yet to see a sitcom or reality show take place in a trailer

My Name is Earl. I enjoyed it, it was funny.
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    Has anyone watched "The Middle?" I think it does a pretty good job of portraying average American life without exploitation.

The Middle is good. It started around the same time as Modern Family, so I don't think many people have heard of it because it's in Modern Family's shadow. I agree, The Middle is a decent representation of middle class in comparison to Modern Family which is def upper.

could never watch it or any of his Kevin Smith stuff since I found out he was a scientologist though. sucked me out of the reality of the show way too much.

Scientologists are amazing actors. it's really weird

true. Tom Cruise is consistently great. but still, knowing how much they charge people for all the various stuff they have to go through, it ain't cheap. I could never separate Jason Lee from the persona of a low rent kinda dude after that.

I just think of them as Aliens
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Has anyone watched "The Middle?" I think it does a pretty good job of portraying average American life without exploitation.

The Middle is good. It started around the same time as Modern Family, so I don't think many people have heard of it because it's in Modern Family's shadow. I agree, The Middle is a decent representation of middle class in comparison to Modern Family which is def upper.

could never watch it or any of his Kevin Smith stuff since I found out he was a scientologist though. sucked me out of the reality of the show way too much.

true. Tom Cruise is consistently great. but still, knowing how much they charge people for all the various stuff they have to go through, it ain't cheap. I could never separate Jason Lee from the persona of a low rent kinda dude after that.

There ya go :D
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options

latest?cb=20140915005854
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a 1500 sq. ft. 3 bedroom house built in the 1960s and the people I were friends with thought I was rich. It's all about perspective.

Nobody wants to watch a show about poor people.

Do you even Married With Children?!??!
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree the british do middle class families on tv shows much better have you seen eastenders or keeping up appearances
    Also the people look more real compared to the hollywood super pretty people with clean clothes and perfect makeup look
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I grew up in a 1500 sq. ft. 3 bedroom house built in the 1960s and the people I were friends with thought I was rich. It's all about perspective.

Ohhh yeah Married with Children I luhh that show

The whole house is furnished like its the 70s even though the show takes place in the 80s/90s aka what I grew up like as a tot
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Ohhh yeah Married with Children I luhh that show

The whole house is furnished like its the 70s even though the show takes place in the 80s/90s aka what I grew up like as a tot

so was the house I grew up in...
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get a "People of Walmart" reality show going for years but it just hasn't taken off.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think thats called honey boo boo
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There have been numerous shows about poor or lower middle class people

My Name Is Earl
    Raising Hope
    Trailer Park Boys
    Green Acres
    Good Times
    Rosanne
    Big Bang Theory (Penny)
    King of Queens
    Mike and Molly

I'll add All In The Family to this.
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Malcolm in the Middle
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eastenders (and Roseanne) would be deemed by Brits to be Working Class, definitely not Middle. Middle for us would be your bank managers, doctors and other professionals who still have to work for a living. Upper class being those born to money.