Building muscle

Options
I've never really been over weight, and I've been going to the gym trying to get in good enough shape to start building up some muscle, mostly focusing on lifting and tightening the glutes, thighs, and stomach.. I been going 5 times a week for 2 months now, and I'm ready. What exercises do you guys recommend? I've been using the smith machine and got enough strength to do 5 sets of 8 using 20 pounds, leg presses 3 sets of 15 on 100 pounds, hip abudction and adduction on 50 pounds, and the glute machine on 60 pounds.. So with all that, what exercise and diet to y'all recommend?? Also, what activity should I put? Am I lightly active or active? I go 5 times a week for 30-45 minutes.

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Find an actually routine if you're new to lifting. Bodybuilding.com has a lot of good ones.

Make sure you eat enough.

And the lightly active/active isn't counting exercises it's referring to your daily life with no exercise. I.e. if you work in an office maybe lightly active vs a job where you move around all day you'd be highly active.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you need to get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner, eat in a consistent surplus, and hit your micro and macro targets.
  • Puchalke
    Puchalke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    After those 2 months it would be good to change your plan. I think the best solution for you would be a FBW training routine based on compound exercises(squats, ohp, deadlift, incline benchpress). Great advantage of this training is that it really helps to save body proportions. Do it for about 4-6 weeks and then change your plan again. Don't forget to write about your results ;)