convince me .... or not...to eat more?

Options
T0M_K
T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
So, I've been struggling with what I perceive is the "right" amount to eat which is more than I've been eating.
Male- age 51 *almost*
height - 69"
Current Weight 187 - 2/3/16
Starting Weight 198 - 1/6/16
Data: Actual Begin Date - 12/29/15 - 200lbs
Data Analysis Period - 1/6/16 to 2/3/16.
Avg Calories Consumed per day - 1369.

The first 19 days before a conscious effort to eat more I was consuming avg 1307 and lost 8.8lbs. (started weightloss on 12/29/15)

The most recent 10 days i was consuming an avg of 1486 calories and have lost 1.6lbs although in the past week the scales aren't budging and are even up less than a pound.

I'm ok by the way with a 1.12ish lb weight loss per week "if that's whats really happening"

The real question i have is that some people and my research would tell me to eat 1600 calories per day for moderate 1 to 1.5 lbs per week weight loss for sedentary people (desk job) and possibly even eat back some of my exercise calories.

What is harm in just not eating more. I have good energy, don't feel hungry, am being accurate to the best of my ability on my logging. I'm eating lean proteins, veggie carbs, fresh fruits, almonds, cottage cheese, protein powder, eggs etc. I am not nutrient deficient and take a multi vitamin for a little added insurance and a fish oil supplement each day(hmmm i don't count my fish oil tablet in my calorie intake).

Why should I eat to the goal if don't really want to? what harm am i doing being under if I'm feeling good? Why not take advantage of this now if this is how i'm feeling?

Just curious. and i'm NOT going to binge eat later on..this proper calorie eating is my life mission and yes, when i reach my goal i will increase my intake to establish my proper maintenance level.

Thanks

Replies

• DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You can lose muscle along with fat, your hair could thin, nails become brittle and your skin can suffer. You're more likely to suffer from loose skin.

You don't have much to lose to get into a healthy weight range for your height. I think you should set your weight loss rate to .5 lb/week.

ETA: At the absolute minimum, you should be netting 1500 calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You can lose muscle along with fat, your hair could thin, nails become brittle and your skin can suffer. You're more likely to suffer from loose skin.

You don't have much to lose to get into a healthy weight range for your height. I think you should set your weight loss rate to .5 lb/week.

^^ this
  • T0M_K
    Options
    not to be stupid...but define "netting" MFP and Fitbit seems to be messed up so i want to ensure i understand what your saying. Thanks for clarification.
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You should eat at least 1500 calories AND eat back your exercise calories

ETA: At minimum. Really more like 1700 calories would be better for your stats.
  • T0M_K
    Options

ETA: At the absolute minimum, you should be netting 1500 calories.

Also, I'm running, pushups, pullups and planks and eating alot of protein so i'm attempting to protect my muscle. What really does an extra 150 calories"ish" do for me nutrient wise?
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating this way for a while and still have energy, you are likely eating more than you think you are but still enough for a deficit. Do you weigh your food? If you weigh your food and you are confident that's all you are eating, you do need to raise your calories.

There are other people who can explain the fit bit MFP stuff but netting means, in MFP anyway, that If I eat 1650 calories total for the day and I exercised and earn 150 calories then I am netting 1500. 1650-150=1500
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You have to realize the first 19 days were a lot of water weight. That type of loss is not sustainable (unless you have LOTS of weight to lose, which it doesn't seem like you do). Someone your weight and height should plan on exactly as stated above, about a half pound a week. Its not just about losing weight, its about eating healthy, getting yourself proper nutrition (check your macros) and providing your body with the necessary fuel it needs. You wouldn't short your car on gasoline, just because its running well now. You're going to need fuel later or tomorrow too. If you are eating tons of veggies and lean protein and just can't hit your goal a day or two each week because you're full, that's one thing. If you are purposefully trying to keep it low to speed up weight loss, you will lose muscle mass too and therefore decease your calorie needs and your body starts holding onto fat and everything backfires on you. Also, don't forget to have fun occasionally, have a beer, have a pizza, have a piece of cake every so often. Life is meant to be sweet and fun too. Good luck.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Keep weight loss less than 1% of your bodyweight per week. There is no reason to limit yourself to 0.5lb/week unless you are already have very low BF% (say single digits), or you are not large enough to create a deficit while still getting your micronutrient requirements met. A 1-1.5lb/week goal is a good, healthy, and sustainable rate for a 180lb person with a good amount of fat to lose.

Anyways, under eating can lead to the issues noted above. If the point is to get healthy, then why risk all those negative side effects? If you were severely overweight and much worse things were imminent, then it would make sense to risk it, but at 190lb there is no rush.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh your food? This is one of the most important components. Weigh and log everything and see if you are truly eating the amount of calories you think you are.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    If you've been eating this way for a while and still have energy, you are likely eating more than you think you are but still enough for a deficit. Do you weigh your food? If you weigh your food and you are confident that's all you are eating, you do need to raise your calories.

There are other people who can explain the fit bit MFP stuff but netting means, in MFP anyway, that If I eat 1650 calories total for the day and I exercised and earn 150 calories then I am netting 1500. 1650-150=1500

I weigh nearly everything...am very very diligent in recording to the point i really don't know what i could do to be more accurate.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    You have to realize the first 19 days were a lot of water weight. That type of loss is not sustainable (unless you have LOTS of weight to lose, which it doesn't seem like you do). Someone your weight and height should plan on exactly as stated above, about a half pound a week. Its not just about losing weight, its about eating healthy, getting yourself proper nutrition (check your macros) and providing your body with the necessary fuel it needs. You wouldn't short your car on gasoline, just because its running well now. You're going to need fuel later or tomorrow too. If you are eating tons of veggies and lean protein and just can't hit your goal a day or two each week because you're full, that's one thing. If you are purposefully trying to keep it low to speed up weight loss, you will lose muscle mass too and therefore decease your calorie needs and your body starts holding onto fat and everything backfires on you. Also, don't forget to have fun occasionally, have a beer, have a pizza, have a piece of cake every so often. Life is meant to be sweet and fun too. Good luck.

Like i said...i'm eating very healthy nutrient dense foods which is why i feel like i'm ok on that front. plus as stated i do exercise.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh your food? This is one of the most important components. Weigh and log everything and see if you are truly eating the amount of calories you think you are.

yes and recently have chosen to weigh in grams for most items. now weight everything...well i don't weigh things like yogurt, single serving cottage cheese, a single serving cheese stick...those type items i take the label's word for the calorie content.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

I weigh nearly everything...am very very diligent in recording to the point i really don't know what i could do to be more accurate.

Then you need to up your calories. Your body may feel okay now, but you are nutritionally doing it a disservice that can lead to major health complications later on. Better to lose slower at a healthy sustainable rate than to lose quickly and risk your health.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

^^ This.

I'm also 51 (but female). Your rate weight loss in the beginning, as you've described it, feels great initially but it will come back to bite you. Your energy and strength WILL drop, as I discovered. Don't be in a hurry to lose weight. Everybody wants to be thin NOW, I get that, but be patient. You didn't gain it fast, I'll bet, so why should you lose it fast?

I recommend that your net calories per day (food calories minus exercise calories) never go below your BMR. I did that for too long, and paid for it in energy/strength/performance. What I'm doing now is eating in a range between my BMR (around 1300) and 80% (1600) of my TDEE (2000). I'm still losing, but slowly, and feeling and performing much better. There are any number of BMR and TDEE calculators out there, just google. I used three different ones, and they all put me in a similar range.

YMMV.
  • T0M_K
    Options
  • T0M_K
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »

^^ This.

I'm also 51 (but female). Your rate weight loss in the beginning, as you've described it, feels great initially but it will come back to bite you. Your energy and strength WILL drop, as I discovered. Don't be in a hurry to lose weight. Everybody wants to be thin NOW, I get that, but be patient. You didn't gain it fast, I'll bet, so why should you lose it fast?

I recommend that your net calories per day (food calories minus exercise calories) never go below your BMR. I did that for too long, and paid for it in energy/strength/performance. What I'm doing now is eating in a range between my BMR (around 1300) and 80% (1600) of my TDEE (2000). I'm still losing, but slowly, and feeling and performing much better. There are any number of BMR and TDEE calculators out there, just google. I used three different ones, and they all put me in a similar range.

YMMV.

Not in anyway desiring to hurry. just don't want to blow it and it feels wrong to eat for the sake. just trying to get my head around it.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Just thought I'd summarize my 29 days.

hwot2qns2ycc.png

Shrugs. :|
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    You need more calories. It can't be stressed enough that even though you feel fine now, long term eating this way will destroy your health.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    You need more calories. It can't be stressed enough that even though you feel fine now, long term eating this way will destroy your health.

destroy is a strong word. if it eat 300 more calories of cookies..like 2 lol. thats better?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

destroy is a strong word. if it eat 300 more calories of cookies..like 2 lol. thats better?

You seem to have your mind quite made up about this, to the point of laughing at those trying to engage in the discussion you asked for. I think I'll skip adding my own experiences with undereating. It looks like I'd just be wasting my time and I've wasted enough just bothering to read this thread.