Need some insight

abarnes415
abarnes415 Posts: 4 Member
Hello all,
I apologize in advance for this long post, but I really need some help. I got married in Feb 2015 and I basically starved to lose weight. I would starve, lose 17lbs. eat for a month put back on 7lbs, starve for 10 days lose another 9lbs. This went on for about 4 months or so. I was way more consistent with the eating than the starving. I was eating about 500 calories a day when starving. Then, after my wedding, I of course, gained it all back. This, puts me at around 188lbs which honestly is about a high normal for me. I've hovered between 165-189lbs since puberty. I'll also add i'm 24 years old. Now here is where I need the help. 2 months after my wedding, when I had gained about 16lbs back, I got implanted with Nexplanon which is a birth control stick you put in your arm. Since that, I have gained an additional 30lbs in 3 months. It's not that I can't lose weight, it's that I gain it so quickly. My diet and exercise has stayed the same which is the same it's always been-sometimes good, sometime bad, sometimes terrible. After reading posts and seeing other experiences, the implant has helped with weight gain in alot of people, including a good friend of mine. I'm inclined to think that's the issue. However, I know I put my body through a lot, but that was over a year ago and I never ate 500 calories longer than 10 days consistently and I've had about a year of eating normally to correct that problem. I guess my question is, do you think the additional 30lbs in 3 months and the fact that I gain weight so easily is because of the implant or the damage I did a year ago? Any insight or experiences with an implant or starving would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sbwickes
    sbwickes Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, any birth control will increase weight, however 30lbs in 3 months does seem excessive, I would return to your doctor and discuss with him... good luck ...
  • daninm1214
    daninm1214 Posts: 1 Member
    Medically speaking, the Nexplanon is a weight neutral birth control device. It is a systemic hormone, meaning the hormone circulates throughout your body to work. So with all of that being said, I have patients that complain of weight gain while on it. If you REALLY think it is the hormone, then you could switch to only a locally active hormone like a Mirena, or even try a Paraguard with no hormones.
  • abarnes415
    abarnes415 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much for responding. My doctor told me that any birth control can cause weight gain, but I didn't have this experience with the pill. I'm getting it removed on Tuesday, I'm just worried that this is normal weight gain.