Newly diagnosed and CONFUSED diabetic!

Options
2»

Replies

• traceyg3362
    traceyg3362 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

neohdiver: My advice: There is no magic. Only your meter, careful tracking, and elimination of foods that raise your blood sugar above the level you are comfortable. Track everything you eat - specifically tracking the carbs and fiber. Test your blood sugar before the first bite of anything new, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1) again at 3 hours.

Here is the issue, neohdiver, with testing that often. RX! Doc said test twice a day, so I can't run through supplies and then get them filled before the expected date.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Didn't your doctor refer to you a registered dietitian or diabetes education class? I would suggest attending such a class. Here is a locator: http://professional2.diabetes.org/erp_zip_search.aspx?utm_source=Offline&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=program-finder&utm_campaign=PRO

My reaction when I read the inevitable "didn't your doctor": ROFL (where's that smiley when I need it)

That reaction is both to the suggestion that a doctor might suggest it, and at the thought it might actually be useful. My experience with loved ones who went to such classes is that they are useless unless you are have an extremely elementary understanding of what a carb is (e.g., "How many carbs does a slab of steak have?"). It might teach you that (although it failed with my spouse). And, if the class succeeds in teaching you what a carb is, the advice about how many to eat is geared toward achieving (at best) diabetic-normal blood sugar levels. (I also have relatives who are in the nutritional counseling end of the industry, so I have had more exposure than the average beastie.)

I am grateful that my doctor did not recommend a class to me (or require me to go) - as it would have been a complete waste of time.

My advice: There is no magic. Only your meter, careful tracking, and elimination of foods that raise your blood sugar above the level you are comfortable. Track everything you eat - specifically tracking the carbs and fiber. Test your blood sugar before the first bite of anything new, at 1 hour, at 2 hours and (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1) again at 3 hours.

If your blood sugar, at any point - not just 2 hours - is higher than where you are comfortable, test the food again another day. If you confirm the results, either eliminate or consume smaller portions. Early in the testing stage, I tested up to 10 times a day - by now, since I know how my body will react to most foods - I am averaging around 3. Fasting, and a couple of checks if I am eating something that pushes the limit.

My goals are to keep my blood sugar within normal ranges (not diabetic normal). I used the process I outlined above - combined with the basic knowledge I already have about food content to make smart choices in the first place. My blood sugar has been in the normal range (below 140, including spikes after eating) 97% of the time since Oct 5, 3 days after diagnosis. (I didn't test earlier, so I don't know what happened in the first 3 days). I have been above 160 twice, and above 180 once in ~380 tests.

I am very sensitive to carbs. If I eat more than 20 net carbs in a sitting (and sometimes the gross matters), my blood sugar moves out of the range I am comfortable with. So I keep net carbs under 20 in a 3 hour period, and under net 50 in a day.

Most medical personnel helping manage diabetes aim for under 180 by two hours after eating. Since the spike typically occurs between 1 & 2 hours, that means it was even higher before the 2 hour mark.

The most recent research (12/2015) indicates that even moderately elevated blood glucose (prediabetes range) causes kidney damage - largely undiagnosed because it has been presumed that prediabetes is a harmless precursor to diabetes. The research doesn't back that up - and I am not content to aim for ranges that significantly increase the likelihood of diabetic complications.

My suggestion was based on my mother's experience. Clearly not everybody has bad or similar experiences. But good for you for learning what you need to do to stay healthy.
  • traceyg3362
    traceyg3362 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The other issue is that I never felt bad to begin with. Once I felt dizzy when I hadn't eaten all day, but that's it. Otherwise, my only symptom is exhaustion and we have been testing me annually for any problems and never had one until now. A1c was 7.7, and glucose was 208. That's what got the doc to diagnose diabetes. My family history sucks so much that I was tested twice a year for diabetes when I was a kid and once I had my kids, they didn't feel the need to continually test, so it was just annual blood work. This came on really kind of a surprise. Both my doctor and I are leaning towards type 2 but since it is so rampant in my family history, we can't dismiss the possibility of type 1. Diet and exercise may not do anything to help me. I work in a facility where I have access to a nutritionist and she said she can't "tell" me what to eat, only make suggestions based on my numbers from the days meals. She said that there is no set diet for diabetes and my body will make adjustments as needed. So, basically nutritionist is useless.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic for about a decade, a T2 diabetic for another ten years, then from significant weight loss and RNY surgery, my diabetes is in remission. I've had lots of classes and dietitian support. Set aside the "how many carbs" debate for now. I agree the information is confusing and if you are surrounded by books you are likely on information overload. Here's my suggestions to start.

1. Start logging on MFP. This will give you more detailed information on what you are eating.
    2. Customize your meal settings to separate your snacks, as in AM Snack, Aft Snack, and PM snack.
    3. Eat on a schedule, starting with breakfast at the same time every day, throughout the day. Don't skip meals. Eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day.
    4. The ADA Create-your-plate was the most helpful visualization when I was first diagnosed. Imagine every meal as a balance of protein, carb, and veggies. With a thimbleful of fats.
    5. I gave up very little, but sugar drinks were definitely out. My carb consumption was cut in half. For instance, I had to choose between my pasta or my roll at dinner. Dessert is an apple instead of cake. Things like that.

The life of a diabetic is one of balance, allowing every food it's turn to fuel your body, and avoiding spikes. You are essentially taking over a delicate balancing act that your pancreas used to take care of for you. Over time you will become aware of signs that your sugars are too high and too low, and to take care of them as the need arises.

The big lesson I got from diarizing my meals is associating certain foods with feeling like crap two hours later. So I suggest you diarize your moments when you feel fuzzy or logy.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mine wants me to scarf down 200 carbs a day, which of course means too many calories if I'm adding pasta and bread, which I do not touch. They raise my numbers too way too high and gluten makes me live in the bathroom anyway. Gluten-free bread and pasta just puts you closer to an early grave if you are diabetic.

I'm sticking with Paleo (lower carb eating) and watch the sweet potato portions, those drive my numbers up. Exercise after every meal (even just a walk) has helped lower my numbers. Carbs are easily obtained in veggies. Low GI fruits, like berries, are also okay for me.

I haven't had soda in a decade and have banned artificial sweeteners from the house on Dec 10. Coffee is now taken with cinnamon and unsweetened coconut milk. We eat minimally processed foods and since banning all of that crap, I've lost ten pounds and my blood sugar readings are 100 points lower than they were a month ago.

The grocery bill is lower too :)
  • aaorgeron
    aaorgeron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack someone else's post but all of you have some great info. I am pre-diabetic and due to supplies test fasting and 2 hours after meals. As long as I'm doing low carb (no bread, rice past...still have small amount of fruit and dairy and minimal simple sugar in coffee or tea) my after meal numbers are fine. Almost always between 110-125. However my fasting number is just a bit higher than I'd like it. Generally ranging between 105 and 115. I'm on metformin and try to take regularly but honestly don't see a difference on days I accidently miss. Any ideas on what to do to lower fasting BS?
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    aaorgeron wrote: »
    Not to hijack someone else's post but all of you have some great info. I am pre-diabetic and due to supplies test fasting and 2 hours after meals. As long as I'm doing low carb (no bread, rice past...still have small amount of fruit and dairy and minimal simple sugar in coffee or tea) my after meal numbers are fine. Almost always between 110-125. However my fasting number is just a bit higher than I'd like it. Generally ranging between 105 and 115. I'm on metformin and try to take regularly but honestly don't see a difference on days I accidently miss. Any ideas on what to do to lower fasting BS?

I'm there too. I've been reading about it, and some people just have naturally higher numbers in the morning. Something called the Dawn Phenomenon...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @aaorgeron, Meformin's effects are cumulative. If you are taking some days and skipping others, you aren't getting the full benefit.

To lower your fasting number I suggest making sure there is a little protein and fat with every meal. Try adding nuts.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I was diagnosed T2 a few months ago I was told aim for 45g of carbs (total, not net) for each of 3 meals and 20g carbs for each of 2 snacks per day. This was supposed to help keep things level and not bouncing high and low. That said, I have lowered my carb intake well beyond that (nowhere near the keto people though) for the most part (I also upped my fat and lowered my protein because for me it works better to lose weight) when possible and rarely see a number over 105-110 unless I just ate. It has also become increasingly difficult to not get too low (i hit 67 once last week and started having trouble just working my meter so I'm guessing it was probably still dropping) when I work out unless I intentionally down 40ish g of carbs on my way to the gym (which also adds calories I don't really want) and eat some more as soon as I finish, and I go workout shortly after eating supper. My ultimate goal is to get off the Metformin, but its proving to be quite a learning experience.

I'm all for exercising to drop weight and help lower sugar, but I suggest having someone you trust around if you start trying to push the limits. Also make sure you give your muscles some time to recover between sessions so you don't do more harm than good (as was previously brought up).

+1 on the logging and eating schedule, it does make a difference.

I'm by no means an expert on any of this and still new myself (but determined to beat this thing, or at least give it a run for its money), just sharing my experience so far.
  • yaninabb
    yaninabb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the food diary would be so she can analyze your diet and teach you. But w the bunch of books it is crazy. you need to eat more protein (zero carbs) good fats if possible(zero carbs) and count the carbs (grains, fruits, veggies, legumes) until you go to the doctor eat less carbs and try complex carbs instead of simple carbs, the complex stay longer in your blood stream, keeping you satisfied longer and leveling the blood sugar longer. google carb counting. check if at least the doctor gave u a set amount of daily calories intake and go from there
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you want another book to look at but...

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is like a low carb high fat bible for those who control diabetes through a LCHF diet. Bernstein is a T1D who controlled his BG through a low carb diet back in the day when most diabetics were in very poor health by middle age. Eating higher fat (low carb and moderate to low moderate protein) reduces glucose spikes and the need for insulin. It can work well for some people. :)

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you have a diabetes center? Have your doctor refer you for education or go to a registered dietician or certified diabetes educator.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a similar situation. I see the diabetes educator on the 16th. I am trying to cut back on carbs, but I don't have any official guidelines yet. It does get confusing. The more I ask, the more different things I hear.

The educator I am seeing didn't ask for anything. I think I just show up.

If you want, you can friend me.
  • jennifermcclanahan50
    Options
    I am testing before and 2 hours after every meal for a while. I found cheap strips and meter on amazon, and just figured out a system that works for me: in the food diary, I use a food named pedometer count, one serving = one step but instead of steps it's actually listing meter readings. So under lunch I would have 2 pedometer reading "foods", the first is the premier meal reading, the second the one after. I am hoping to build up a better picture of which meals are better on my blood sugar that way.