Free weights vs. Machines

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    no_russian wrote: »
    I prefer free weights because they pretty much force you to learn proper technique

This.
    Although if you have only machines available to you, it's better than nothing.

Strange, because most people I see at the gym have horrible technique. Free weights definitely take practice and constant form correcting at first before technique is nailed down.

I have to agree with galgenstrick here. There's a ton of bad form/technique at the gym. I'm not convinced that free weights force you to learn proper technique.

OP, just start light and practice practice practice and you'll do good. People with consistently bad form are generally not people who are trying to have good form. You are not going to be one of those people :wink:
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Free weights always. But the key is having good form. Make sure you have someone double check your form :)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    personally I like machines better....often they are recommended once you get a bit older.

Machines have not limited me in the slightest. Now sure if you want to be a major body builder...but for 99% of the people on this board, machines would be just fine...then again, free weights would be fine too.

Many of the larger guys in the gym are using machines as part of their routines...free weights are for specific targeting.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    personally I like machines better....often they are recommended once you get a bit older.

Machines have not limited me in the slightest. Now sure if you want to be a major body builder...but for 99% of the people on this board, machines would be just fine...then again, free weights would be fine too.

Many of the larger guys in the gym are using machines as part of their routines...free weights are for specific targeting.

Who recommends machines for older people? Machines don't develop balance, stabilizing muscles, monility or core strength. All things that are critical to just getting around as we age.

Nothing against some use of machines in a routine but unless there is a specific condition present should emphasize body weight and free weight movements.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use free weights, machines are in my opinion doing work for you. They balance and position the weight just right so you don't have to. I guess what I'm saying is free weights you get more bang for your buck.
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank ya'll!! Gonna look at some vids and try to lean more toward the free weights. My mini goal is to just be able to lift the barbell thingy, I've been eyeing it. Lol. :|
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    free weights are pretty much superior in every way for the beginner.

I recommend you find a structured program and follow it. Make sure the program focuses on compound lifting and progressive overload.

Here are some good programs:
    Starting Strengh
    Thinner leaner stronger
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

That's not true... Machines and cables can be superior to free weights especially in beginner clients.

I think that both are good, however, for beginners especially there's a few things we have to consider.

Firstly, can they actually perform a full range of motion exercise with good form? Usually the answer to that is NO. They generally lack strength, balance, have a weak core, and have poor neuromuscular efficiency.

In these people who are looking to increase strength, balance, and function having them use a machine can be highly beneficial. It allows them to perform a movement through the full range of motion with proper form they may not be able to perform otherwise. Balance/core training can be applied separately (generally with body weight) to get them ready to transition to lifting weights and training for hypertrophy or strength.

Then there's this aspect of fitness that is also incredibly important... their enjoyment. There's a reason things like the FITTE principle exist, if someone is doing an exercise they don't enjoy and feel embarrassed to do the likelihood they'll continue is very low. For beginners or people who are very overweight doing certain movements (like foam rolling for example) where they are rolling around/feel like they are drawing attention to themselves may keep them from wanting to continue at all. I know this seems like it's silly "just do it! no one's paying attention at all!", but it's the honest truth.

Now, of course i think free weight training is superior for total functionality, however, there's many cases where using a machine may be preferable to lifting a barbell or dumbbell.

For example, people with hypertension (high blood pressure) performing movements in either a supine or prone position where blood can flow towards the head can increase blood pressure and be incredibly dangerous. This population is generally recommended to perform exercises in a standing or seated position (and cables or machine can be perfect for this). The same can be said for pregnant women, people with heart disease, chronic lung diseases, and arthritis/previous injuries.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I recommend you find a structured program and follow it. Make sure the program focuses on compound lifting and progressive overload.

Starting Strengh
    Thinner leaner stronger
    Stronglifts 5x5

That's not true... Machines and cables can be superior to free weights especially in beginner clients.

I think that both are good, however, for beginners especially there's a few things we have to consider.

Firstly, can they actually perform a full range of motion exercise with good form? Usually the answer to that is NO. They generally lack strength, balance, have a weak core, and have poor neuromuscular efficiency.

In these people who are looking to increase strength, balance, and function having them use a machine can be highly beneficial. It allows them to perform a movement through the full range of motion with proper form they may not be able to perform otherwise. Balance/core training can be applied separately (generally with body weight) to get them ready to transition to lifting weights and training for hypertrophy or strength.

Then there's this aspect of fitness that is also incredibly important... their enjoyment. There's a reason things like the FITTE principle exist, if someone is doing an exercise they don't enjoy and feel embarrassed to do the likelihood they'll continue is very low. For beginners or people who are very overweight doing certain movements (like foam rolling for example) where they are rolling around/feel like they are drawing attention to themselves may keep them from wanting to continue at all. I know this seems like it's silly "just do it! no one's paying attention at all!", but it's the honest truth.

Now, of course i think free weight training is superior for total functionality, however, there's many cases where using a machine may be preferable to lifting a barbell or dumbbell.

For example, people with hypertension (high blood pressure) performing movements in either a supine or prone position where blood can flow towards the head can increase blood pressure and be incredibly dangerous. This population is generally recommended to perform exercises in a standing or seated position (and cables or machine can be perfect for this). The same can be said for pregnant women, people with heart disease, chronic lung diseases, and arthritis/previous injuries.

I agree with most of your points about machines for mobility and physical therapy. I was referring to which is better for gaining definition and getting stronger, which was OP's question. There's no doubt about it, free weights are much more effective for that.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Starting Strengh
    Thinner leaner stronger
    Stronglifts 5x5

I would agree with this assuming the person or their trainer works on the mobility issues that are holding them back. So many though just keep piling weight on a machine.

I know a guy, I'm sure many of you have seen this also. Loads 1000 pounds on a leg press machine does a couple partial reps and claims victory. Guy doesn't have the mobility to squat decent with 135 pounds.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I would agree with this assuming the person or their trainer works on the mobility issues that are holding them back. So many though just keep piling weight on a machine.

I know a guy, I'm sure many of you have seen this also. Loads 1000 pounds on a leg press machine does a couple partial reps and claims victory. Guy doesn't have the mobility to squat decent with 135 pounds.[/quote]

Of course, I see just as many if not more people who do a partial rep on a barbell bench press or squat with big weights with all the grunting and groaning....

Again, use what you like and what works for you....For me, doing a squat even with minimal weight would destroy my knees...I'd be out for weeks. But using a seated leg press, I have been able to increase my weight through a 90 degree bend from 255 to 310 for my 3x10s.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Free weights.

Every time, especially if you are just starting out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Machines have their place, but they shouldn't be the foundation of your program. The foundation of any solid program is going to be compound movements using free weights. Machines are great for some assistance work and isolation movements...assistance and isolation movements should not be the foundation of your program.