How to get used to smaller portions?

Options

Replies

• Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get used to it. The smaller plate will help! I always try to have a bowl as a side of more veggies or salad as well. He the veggies first then eat the entrée. It does help! And honestly stick with it, it will become habit and your stomach will get into habit as well!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Okay.. so first off, I am not crazy. LOL! I recently started doing something because a girl at work lost 50lbs and I asked her what she was doing. I work in a kitchen and find myself eating little bits all the time, as well as keeping up portion wise with the guys I work with. It was getting out of control.

I downloaded an app for my phone... weightloss hypnosis. It sounds crazy. I feel crazy saying it, but after the first session I found myself eating slower, eating less and not eating anything between meals ( even if I am hungry while cooking!!!). I used to go to Bob Evans and get eggs, potatoes, meat, pancakes with topping and I still felt hungry. The last time I went there, I got 2 eggs and an order of toast. I didn't even finish it!

There are quite a few free apps and if you don't have a smartphone, you can find stuff on youtube. I figured it was worth a shot. It has been 2 weeks and I have lost 5lbs. So I am going to keep with it. Sometimes the most unconventional things will help.

^^ I've also done this. I agree. It does work! Also, I cut back to a smaller plate because I'm trying to change my life. I don't want that big huge plate anymore. It isn't needed to fuel my body. I do eat what I want... but I eat it SLOWLY. I count for it, but I drink water before my meals also. Big difference. It takes time... seriously this isn't something you are going to master overnight. BE PATIENT...and of course always eat all your calories MFP allows you to eat. Don't cut back just because your plate is smaller. :flowerforyou:
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Portion size is my major problem too. It takes some getting used to. I tried the smaller plate routine but I just ended up staking it taller.:laugh: I finally told myself to get into it gradually. I put the proper potion size on the plate and tell myself that if I am still actually hungry after that portion I can come back for seconds. I have learned to chew my food longer and to put down my fork between mouthfuls. I now enjoy my food more. It still took some getting used to.

this is what works for me, too--putting one portion in a bowl or on a plate and telling myself if i'm still hungry after i eat that (and i have to eat it slowly, not shovel it--when i get super hungry i want to eat as fast as possible!) then i can have another half-serving. i try to make sure i'm drinking enough water and keeping my carbs/ sugar under control... as another poster mentioned, if i have too much sugar early in the day i'm done for--ravenous all day long. same if i'm not well-hydrated. it really can be difficult when you are used to large portions, but truly your stomach & brain will adapt. do it in baby steps--nobody says you have to make a huge change at once. any progress is progress :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You just have to train yourself. Once upon a time, it was very difficult for me...now, it's second nature and I actually wonder how in the hell I ate all that food. Make sure you're balancing you diet....it helps to balance verything out on our plate. Make sure you're getting your protein, fat, and vitamins and minerals from veg...ultimately, I think you'll find a well balanced and portioned plate to very good.
  • FireStar0139
    FireStar0139 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about portion size is that when you eat more vegetables, you can eat more than if you eat pasta, and it's better for you. I can understand the feeling of not feeling full though. For a long time I had the same problem. So I started adding nuts to my diet. A handful of almonds will fill me up and adding Pine nuts to any salad makes it way more filling. You could also try using garden delight pasts, made from vegetables. I love eating, and my original solution to getting to eat as much as I wanted was to work out more... Tae bo is really great for loosing calories fast, if your looking for a good exercise.
    I hope this helps. ^.^
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Drink a large glass of water before you eat.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have had large portions all my life, from my parents' cooking (they weren't 'over' feeding me, since I was never overweight when I was a child), to my own culinary expeditions.

I just can't get used to smaller portions! Even filling up on veg doesn't seem to work when what I want is more pasta and meat.

I bought myself a smaller plate to try and make my dinners seem bigger...

It doesn't seem to be working. Help? :(
    Girl, this is my numero uno problem!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pet? Try making your normal meal but leaving some on your plate and feeding it too your dog...Assuming its ok for them to eat. Or throwing it out. I used to give my dog leftover chicken or steak or spagettie. It helps you look at the excess you don't need and eventually you will start cooking smaller meals and not even thinking about what you are missing because your looking at it as excess. Eat till you aren't hungry, stop, throw the rest away. Rinse and repeat until your mind is comfortable and then make smaller meals.

And how do you log this? If you feed some of your food to the dog, you are presumably not weighing your portions, which means that you are not really keeping track of your intake... Not to mention that this isn't great for your *dog's* waistline.

OP, it just takes time. But you aren't going to make any lasting changes without adjusting your thinking and habits. Just measure and weigh your food, set a manageable intake deficit, and keep at it. Also, drink water, and don't drink your calories otherwise--at least for a while.
  • FireStar0139
    FireStar0139 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh, also. I watched this video when I started getting out of shape a while back, and it really helped a lot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R14Gvj1VWc
    Once you get into the habit of doing it it's easy too. ^.^
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself you can have another portion after 15 minutes of walking if you're still hungry. It takes some time after your full for you to actually feel full. Schedule snacks an hour or so after your meal so if you're still hungry and don't want to do the 2nd portion thing, you can tell yourself, I'll be ok, I can have a snack in just a bit.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Put your fork down between each bite. Chew completely before picking it back up again and take a sip of water before taking another bite. Chew at least 10-15 times. It'll help to make it seem like you're eating more. And you'll really get to taste and savor your food.
    this and try to time your meals to last about 20 minutes. Stretching it out really does help, and you will get used to smaller portions,
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes tend to be my issue too. Most of the foods I like to eat are nutritious and have a reasonable caloric content. I just eat until I'm full, even a little uncomfortable. So I'm with you, OP, and it's a drag.
    Has to be habitual. Usually about 21 days of consistent reduced portions is normal. If you pile it on over that time though, you break the consistency and have to start over again. Be determined. It can be done. If someone held a gun to your head and said that's what you had to do to save your life, then you will do it. Unfortunately in reality it really is about your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think this ("If someone held a gun to your head and said that's what you had to do to save your life, then you will do it.") really puts it into perspective for me. Next time I'm feeling like I can't say no to something or if I know that I'm full but I feel like it's too hard to stop eating whatever yummy food I have in front of me, I'll consider this.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A portion of anything is no bigger than the size of the palm of your hand. Got it?
  • LorienAnduin
    Options
    I agree with the many people who said keep at it and don't give up. For me, a good bean salad or other vegetable in very large portion made it difficult for me to eat much else. I did have to find ways of fixing vegetables that I found really palatable so that I satisfied the mental and physical appetite. Also being consistent with your meals is a good idea. If you choose one meal a day to eat the same or similar foods, it can become a habit to eat those food and that portion.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This was super difficult for me too. The hint (from an MFP friend) that helped me was to measure out the proper small portion...eat and enjoy. Then force yourself to wait at least two hours before eating something else. I always felt hungry, but kept telling myself...in just a little while you can eat! Practically would do a countdown. But it really trained me to be satisfied with less.
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Turtlesallthewaydown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not always available but watermelon always helps me. About two cups gives me a nice full feeling. Also chugging water. More water than I could ever want.
  • avrba53
    avrba53 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink a big glass of water before I start to eat and continue trying to drink a gulp or 2 every couple of bites. Its helped a bunch.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you know how you figure out portion control....you reach a point of deciding that your health is more important than eating what you want. when you reach that point, you will figure out how to stop eating when you're physically satisfied.....the difference between needing food and wanting food. if eating continues to be more important to you than getting healthy than keep eating what you want.

sorry to be "to the point"....but, really, that's how you answer your questions.

a related answer...choose foods that fill you up faster like lean protein, healthy fats and carbs with a low glycemic index value.
  • olgitafajita
    olgitafajita Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would say controlling sugar is a huge deal. I used to have a can of Coke every morning for breakfast ( I know I know) and had a heck of a time sticking to my calorie budget. Even switching to diet soda, I have noticed a huge difference. I just really don't want to eat as much, without even thinking about it much. I would've made the change years ago if I had really realized how much or gorging myself was related to blood sugar spikes and crashes.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I feel like this was my main problem too. My mom always overfed me. And she still does if I let her. I'm pissed that she's always had a 22 inch waist from eating like one meal a day meanwhile porking me up! I think she wanted it that way! I've had to take control of my life only now I have disgusting stretch marks and crap.... ugh. So frustrating. Yes, it takes time but eventually you learn portion control...