Ancestral Diet... eating right for your origins

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    stang02 wrote: »
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

Is that even a thing?? Even little ol' me is part slytherin.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    And hilarity

Just consider all the laughing as bonus calories burned.
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified in my OP by stating folks who are genetically homogeneous. :) And since I didn't, it invited a whole slew of other comments and confusion. lol

Nope, no such thing.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Still amounts to about zero on whether this diet is more than bunk. That's why we are all having a good time with it.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »

Nope, no such thing.

Actually there is, in parts of Asia, Africa, far north America, and South America. Homogeneous when it comes to genetics means common/similar, not exact (which I am assuming is what you are thinking). :)
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »

Still amounts to about zero on whether this diet is more than bunk. That's why we are all having a good time with it.

I enjoy the discussion! :D I LOVE that I can come here and inquire, so folks can debunk the junk! (I did like the info and research puffbrat added to the conversation.) There's too much info overload nowadays.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Nope, no such thing.

Actually there is, in parts of Asia, Africa, far north America, and South America. Homogeneous when it comes to genetics means common/similar, not exact (which I am assuming is what you are thinking). :)

Twins are . . .
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Nope, no such thing.

Twins are . . .

Except that they've found more genetic commonalities between people of different "races" than those of the same "race". Which makes the term race kind of pointless.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for the idea that an ideal diet comes from a time when the average life span was 30-ish years old.

Thats got very little to do with diet and more to do with lack of modern medicine e.g antibiotics. Also higher infant mortality alters the stats.

+1
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think it's less to do with ancestry and more to do with the fact that... Carbs, veggies and fruit can be really good for you (+ easy on the body), and the more included in your diet might benefit you.

Veggies and fruits are not easy on my body. They cause major GI distress

Of course that's different. A co-worker of my friend's has Crohn's and I've heard a lot about it, and another friend of mine has bad allergic reactions from almost everything except meat. That kind of conditions require specific diets, don't they..
  • aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options

The severely inbred?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how people can fall for the idea that an ideal diet comes from a time when the average life span was 30-ish years old.

Thats got very little to do with diet and more to do with lack of modern medicine e.g antibiotics. Also higher infant mortality alters the stats.

+1

Long periods of not getting enough food and the food they did get not being terribly nutritious and diverse sure didn't help.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/eat-like-your-grandma-why-you-should-skip-the-kale-salad/

I have found this to be pretty true (in my case). I am a 1st Gen Asian born in America. All the "diet experts" kept touting about how "bad" white rice is, however I can probably for a fact trace back the consumption of rice back many many many generations. My genes (and enzymes) are tailored for it. So despite these experts, I continue to eat with no problem. My body, however, rejects dairy (cows milk), since it was never part of my family ancestry. I do love ice cream though and am willing to suffer for it on occasion. :)

Anyway, thought this was an interesting read. I hope to purchase one of the two books mentioned to get more insight. CHEERS!

There may be some truth to the value of one's ancestry being considered in eating decisions, but habits also are important. Even though you're American, maybe your parents passed on the habit of eating rice in moderation: all the portions in America are two and three times what they should be. I wonder if restaurants in Asia that serve Asian cuisine pile on as much rice as in the average American Asian restaurant. Rice is cheap and fills people up, which is why restaurants like it. The average Asian person in Asia may also be more active than the average American of whatever origins. The more active, the more easily you can burn off those carbs.

Don't forget that many immigrants who come from cultures with relatively healthy and trim people like the Asian countries sometimes become overweight or develop disorders associated with Western diets. There have been studies of what happens when people go from eating mainly fish and meat as a side dish go to eating huge slabs of red meat several times of week.

Finally, increasing numbers of people, especially in America, have mixed ancestry. Therefore, trial-and-error seems to be what's called for.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

+1

Well...since the first two people didn't answer, I might as well go for the trifecta. I'll repeat:

Just so I'm clear...are you suggesting that diet has nothing to do with longer life spans?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I am a polish jew-does that mean I get to eat tons of bagels and cream cheese? (In all seriousness, I hope I don't have to eat like my grandma, I really don't like whitefish salad or pickled herring).

Gefilte fish?

Apparently there's artisanal, gourmet gefilte fish now which is much tastier. I like picked herring, at least the kind we buy at the store, which is preserved with white wine. I draw the line at chicken liver. When I was a kid my (non-Jewish) grandmother made it often and I liked it, but now I don't know what I was thinking.

I have some relatives who live in Minnesota and I like to joke about lutefisk, which apparently is disgusting no matter what you do it. Maybe one day I'll have some, with a side of haggis.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

So you should eat people's souls...
    puffbrat wrote: »
    There are a few isolated occurrences in which regional populations show a propensity for metabolizing certain specific foods differently. For instance a higher proportion of norther Europeans are lactose tolerant, but a study suggested this was related to factors other than historic consumption of dairy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22643754).

Descended from a bunch of northern European farmers. Still ended up with lactose intolerance. Not gonna eat lactose just because my European ancestors did, or because my grandparents had nor problem tolerating it.

If I ate as much as my Grandma, I'd probably weigh 200 lbs more. Actually she died morbidly obese, maybe because she couldn't cope with the shift from working on a farm as a child to a sedentary adulthood in a much more suburban environment. My farmer relatives worked their a--'s off for long days, day after day. My great-grandfather lost two sisters who were in their 20s to the 1918 flu. There are a lot of bad flus rolling around still and you don't hear about too many people in their 20s dying to it who don't have severe immune system issues. I'll take my modern medicine, preserved food, uncontaminated water so I don't have to drink alcohol all day, refrigeration so not ALL my meat HAS to be covered in salt, and access to a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that otherwise wouldn't make it to me most of the year.

Also please don't make me eat lutefisk.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Nope, no such thing.

Twins are . . .

Except that they've found more genetic commonalities between people of different "races" than those of the same "race". Which makes the term race kind of pointless.

The real question is whether it's cultural appropriation to eat food that doesn't come from your ancestral background . . .
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/eat-like-your-grandma-why-you-should-skip-the-kale-salad/

I have found this to be pretty true (in my case). I am a 1st Gen Asian born in America. All the "diet experts" kept touting about how "bad" white rice is, however I can probably for a fact trace back the consumption of rice back many many many generations. My genes (and enzymes) are tailored for it. So despite these experts, I continue to eat with no problem. My body, however, rejects dairy (cows milk), since it was never part of my family ancestry. I do love ice cream though and am willing to suffer for it on occasion. :)

Anyway, thought this was an interesting read. I hope to purchase one of the two books mentioned to get more insight. CHEERS!

Being Asian means you have a lower chance of having lactase persistance, and in increased chance of extra copies of amylase for breaking down certain starches. Your body doesn't reject cow's milk, your microvilli just don't produce as much lactase as some and the slack is picked up by intestinal bacteria. You can just take lactaid if you really like milk. It amounts to the same effect. Some Asians - about 10% - do have lactase persistence. Anyone of any ancestry will increase lactase as their diet increases lactose.
    Plenty of caucasian have extra amalyse genes. They're fine with rice. Really, as the milling removes proteins, it is brown rice that would be more likely to cause intolerance.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    So what are you supposed to eat when you're a hybrid of races? :'(