Cravings? Again? Something's off here...

Options
So, I'm 345 calories over goal. Not too far over maintenance luckily. Idk what's with the cravings. I was craving a whole box of cookies (1000 calories worth about) , but I settled for coffee with a rusk and 1 slice of bread (which I stole from my dad's fridge Lol) with fruit spread and cheese.

Then distracted myself with a movie, I wish the movie finished downloading before I ate those things though - lol

I feel like maybe my diet isn't satisfying enough, or my deficit is too large? Maybe I should up my calories... idk. I thought with 30lb to lose I might be able to do 1lb a week, but I guess not. I don't know the true cause, but usually people on MFP tell you it's because you eat too little, so I guess that's a possibility.

What do you all think? Should I reduce my goal to half a lb a week?

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe provide more info. Height? Current calories? Length of time you've been tracking? Etc...
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking for 2 weeks about. I've lost weight with MFP before, so I do have lots of experience with logging and stuff, so I am pretty certain I log as accurately as possible.

I'm 22, 5'2, female, 134lb (I lost 2 so far), my goal is 1370 a day, but I also eat exercise calories which puts it at 1500ish. I don't always hit that though. I try to save some for a treat sometimes. And then I end up eating 100-150 less. My net calories are usually 1290.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Check your macros. Are you getting the right balance of carbs, fats, proteins, etc, for your body type?
    I'm at 1200 a day + half my exercise cals (not many this week, cuz I have a cold and going to the pool isn't really an option), and when I find I'm seriously craving, it's usually because either my protein or my carbs are too low. (Or I'm about to start my period, in which case all bets are off. Give that dang chicken chimichanga or stand back cuz it's about to get ugly!)
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Check your macros. Are you getting the right balance of carbs, fats, proteins, etc, for your body type?
    I'm at 1200 a day + half my exercise cals (not many this week, cuz I have a cold and going to the pool isn't really an option), and when I find I'm seriously craving, it's usually because either my protein or my carbs are too low. (Or I'm about to start my period, in which case all bets are off. Give that dang chicken chimichanga or stand back cuz it's about to get ugly!)

I check everyday that I meet my macros, so nothing wrong there. Not TOM time either.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I gave in to the cravings tonight - but I had them yesterday too, and the day before. I'm scared that if I end up giving in to them, I'll wipe out my deficit all together.

This makes me think about someone that told me cravings last only for 15 minutes...I can legit call BS on that now, because mine lasted 3 days. Haha :neutral:
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh I see. Does this happen often, or is it around a certain time of the month (whether it's a week before your cycle or the week OF your cycle). I find myself craving more and being hungrier the week before. Also, do you allow yourself to have little treats here and there? I mean, instead of eating the entire box of cookies, do you trust yourself with just 1 or 2? I find I can control cravings much better if I don't deprive myself of it to begin with. Or maybe, JUST maybe, your body is trying to readjust for some reason. I know you're in maintenance, but if you can think of anything else that has changed in your diet besides the additional calories.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Oh I see. Does this happen often, or is it around a certain time of the month (whether it's a week before your cycle or the week OF your cycle). I find myself craving more and being hungrier the week before. Also, do you allow yourself to have little treats here and there? I mean, instead of eating the entire box of cookies, do you trust yourself with just 1 or 2? I find I can control cravings much better if I don't deprive myself of it to begin with. Or maybe, JUST maybe, your body is trying to readjust for some reason. I know you're in maintenance, but if you can think of anything else that has changed in your diet besides the additional calories.

It's been happening for the past 2 weeks since I started reducing calories. But it's been a lot stronger these past few days. I don't have that much self control with sweets, so I really prefer to buy single serve treats for myself, but I do have them when I can.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I check everyday that I meet my macros, so nothing wrong there. Not TOM time either.

What are your macros set to, though? Just because you hit them doesn't mean they're right for what you need to feel satiated. When I don't get enough protein and fat in my diet I'm constantly craving junk. MFP had both of these set WAY too low for me, as an individual.

Have you got it set to more than 1 lb a week? That may be too aggressive for you. Do you know your body fat percentage? Your goal itself may be too aggressive. You're at the high end of a normal BMI right now. 104 lbs would put you borderline underweight. I'm a little taller than you and 5 lbs heavier, but happy at 21% body fat. Any lower and I start seeing my ribs and looking and feeling sick. Have you googled body recomposition? That may be a better option for you than straight up weight loss.

It took me a few months of tweaking to get my macros and calorie goal within a range that was healthy, sustainable AND satisfying.

Best of luck!

• QueenofHearts023
    Options

What are your macros set to, though? Just because you hit them doesn't mean they're right for what you need to feel satiated. When I don't get enough protein and fat in my diet I'm constantly craving junk.

Still set to MFP's default as far as I know.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I mean, aren't cravings normal? I'm craving a whole cheesecake right now. With a whole plate of hot wings. Those cravings never really go away. Honestly, I have cravings like this even when I'm not at a deficit. I could eat A LOT of food. And I want to eat a lot of food all day. Everyday. I think cravings are a usually mental thing, not a result of dieting alone.

However, I'm not hungry or deprived. I work in treats with my 1400 cals per day. I think you just need to get over the mental roadblock. Food is tasty and many people crave it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I crave all the time food I enjoy
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    I mean, aren't cravings normal? I'm craving a whole cheesecake right now. With a whole plate of hot wings. Those cravings never really go away. Honestly, I have cravings like this even when I'm not at a deficit. I could eat A LOT of food. And I want to eat a lot of food all day. Everyday. I think cravings are a usually mental thing, not a result of dieting alone.

However, I'm not hungry or deprived. I work in treats with my 1400 cals per day. I think you just need to get over the mental roadblock. Food is tasty and many people crave it.

What you say is true - but I don't have them when I'm eating at maintenance. At all. (Well except when TOM visits of course, but even then they are vague) They seem a lot more frequent and stronger when I'm in a deficit.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options

What you say is true - but I don't have them when I'm eating at maintenance. At all. (Well except when TOM visits of course, but even then they are vague) They seem a lot more frequent and stronger when I'm in a deficit.

Hmm. Then I don't know. I have really strong cravings even when I'm not eating at deficit. Perhaps you should up your calories in order to fit a bit more treats in if that will prevent cravings and overeating.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

When you say you're eating at maintenance, do you mean at maintenance and logging? I'm asking because I crave a lot more at the beginning of starting to log. The first month or so. I think it's because I'm paying attention to what I'm eating and trying to stay within a certain limit - whether that limit is a deficit or at maintenance. I don't have, or maybe I do and I just give in so they don't register, these intense cravings when I'm not logging and being mindful.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Hmm. Then I don't know. I have really strong cravings even when I'm not eating at deficit. Perhaps you should up your calories in order to fit a bit more treats in if that will prevent cravings and overeating.

I just noticed my calories are already set to 0.5lb p/week loss... :/ and the confusion continues.

I did already lose 2lb, might be water though. It's only been 2 weeks.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    msudaisy28 wrote: »

When you say you're eating at maintenance, do you mean at maintenance and logging? I'm asking because I crave a lot more at the beginning of starting to log. The first month or so. I think it's because I'm paying attention to what I'm eating and trying to stay within a certain limit - whether that limit is a deficit or at maintenance. I don't have, or maybe I do and I just give in so they don't register, these intense cravings when I'm not logging and being mindful.

This is interesting - I don't actually log in maintenance. And it's true that I pay a lot more attention to food when I log. I think about it much more than when I maintain.

Maintenance is so natural for me, I don't need to think about food much because I know how much I can eat.