Tips on eating meat again?

Options
2»

Replies

• finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Go to a nice steakhouse where they will prepare the steak perfectly. If that doesn't make you want to eat it all the time, I'm at a lose for you.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements!
    Don't eat meat if you don't want to!
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You do not need to eat meat to get iron. You're also getting a lot of nasties in there with it too, cholesterol and sat fat and also a tonne of cruelty and environmental damage. Supplements maybe but you can get lots and lots of iron in plants, you just need bigger quantities of them than you do red meat (a good thing for portion sizes!) why make yourself eat something that makes you repulsed?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't like meat, but there are several things that you can do to it which can change the way it tastes. I seem to tolerate ground meat much better than chunks because it's easier to manipulate it with spices and other food items.

If you eat eggs, add sausage to your frittatas and scrambles. Experiment with different kind of sausage. Some taste less "meaty" than others. Sautee some ground meat, and once it's cold enough to handle you can rub it between your hands to create finer meat particles, which can be added to casseroles, pilafs, pasta.. etc. They look like little specs of spice and really get lost in the recipe. You won't believe how much meat you can eat this way. Once you are brave enough to take it up a notch, go with things made with ground meat like burger, kebabs, meatloaf, meat pastries...etc.

Now if you are planning to move on to eating chunks of meat I can't help you there. I still feel horrified whenever I get invited to someone's house, dreading the distant possibility that I would be served steak and would have to politely swallow whole pieces without chewing while trying not breathe through my nose.

Edit: Alternatively, you can make a liver pate, form it into pellets small enough to swallow, freeze it, and then swallow it like pills. That's what I did when I had iron issues.