How do/will u know when you're "there"

Options
Hi all.
Ok so over the last cpl months have lost just over a stone, taking me to 6st 12, ish. Sounds low but im only 5ft 2. Im happy to lose a cpl more lbs as i still have a big bum & flabby arms which I hate!
Just curious, when/how do u know when you're there, at ur ideal weight & size.. Is it when u look in the mirror & do a double take? When u can fit into a certain size jeans? When u like the number on the scales? Just curious as to what's motivating u all, & at what point will u stop trying to lose anymore.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's "there". when I hit a goal I've made, I just make a new goal. This can go indefinitely. In order to change your body composition, you need to include resistance training, this should help with your muscle definition. I don't know how "flabby" your arms are, but resistance training may help, although if it's loose skin, there isn't a whole lot that can be done besides surgery.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Dr. Cox: The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.
    Turk: What?
    Dr. Cox: Do you understand the second you look in the mirror and you’re happy with what you see, baby, you just lost the battle.
    Turk: You should give speeches to teenage girls.

Just kidding. I posted on another thread that i have specific exercise goals, and that when i can achieve all three simultaneously i think i will like what i look like. if not, i will adjust. i doubt i will ever reach a point where i am 100% happy with my body. i like beer and pizza too much for that to happen.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    BMI - normal range goal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a very visible cue (to me, not to the vast majority of other people) that will let me know when I am "there." I carried/carry the vast majority of my excess fat in my abdominal region. Not ooh I have a belly pooch and won't look right in my bikini fat but previously chubby/pregnant/fat stretched out skin with subcutaneous fat kind of fat. Once that has greatly diminished/disappeared, I'll be done with weight loss.

After that I will continue to work on strength and can work more on building muscle. I don't expect to be done done for years, though. I mean, I intend to keep trying to improve/maintain my fitness as long as I am up and moving.
  • thunderthighsandlightning
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs last spring and I was done really after that. I took a break, and now I'm getting back at it because my goals have changed. It really just came for me the day that I decided I was done. I'd been happy with my body and had switched into maintenance, and just stayed there. It's different for everyone; just listen to your body and your thoughts :)
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is 17.6, well into the underweight category and almost to anorexic (17.4). The time to stop losing weight has passed. Try gaining weight and lifting weight to improve body composition, or get some help in seeing your body realistically.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Your BMI is 17.6, well into the underweight category and almost to anorexic (17.4). The time to stop losing weight has passed. Try gaining weight and lifting weight to improve body composition, or get some help in seeing your body realistically.

hmmm. I missed that in her first post. I'll cosign this post. You need to put on some muscle. Eat in a mild surplus and start lifting weights, that's how you will get the body composition you want.
  • MogMog_2
    MogMog_2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have a very visible cue (to me, not to the vast majority of other people) that will let me know when I am "there." I carried/carry the vast majority of my excess fat in my abdominal region. Not ooh I have a belly pooch and won't look right in my bikini fat but previously chubby/pregnant/fat stretched out skin with subcutaneous fat kind of fat. Once that has greatly diminished/disappeared, I'll be done with weight loss.

After that I will continue to work on strength and can work more on building muscle. I don't expect to be done done for years, though. I mean, I intend to keep trying to improve/maintain my fitness as long as I am up and moving.

Good luck, u sound determined, & realistic! Pregnancy can wreak havoc with our bodies (i have 2x, my boobs are now non existent & an *kitten* full of stretch marks) keep going!
  • MogMog_2
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs last spring and I was done really after that. I took a break, and now I'm getting back at it because my goals have changed. It really just came for me the day that I decided I was done. I'd been happy with my body and had switched into maintenance, and just stayed there. It's different for everyone; just listen to your body and your thoughts :)

70 lbs.. wow! ;)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Between this and the alarming profile pic, I tend to agree.

BMI is, for most people who don't have outlying physical ailments, a good guideline to use to for health. No, the numbers don't mean everything, and it is fallible, but when my BMI number gets into the healthy margin, I'll know I'm close and will change my goal from weight loss to body recomp.
  • MogMog_2
    Options
    Anorexic? Im not starving myself. Nor do I need help in seeing my body realistically. I agree with the weight lifting, im working on it.
  • MogMog_2
    Options

hmmm. I missed that in her first post. I'll cosign this post. You need to put on some muscle. Eat in a mild surplus and start lifting weights, that's how you will get the body composition you want.
    Thanks.

• galgenstrick
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MogMog_2 wrote: »

Thanks.

No problem, You'll gain a small amount of fat along with the muscle, that's just how it works. Focus on gaining 10-15lbs at 0.5 to 1lb per week while eating high protein and lifting weights and ~half of your weight gain should be muscle if you haven't done it before. The next step is to lose some of that weight slowly, so you keep the muscle you worked to build. The worst thing you could do is lose weight too fast and burn off a lot of your muscle, that's how you get small and "flabby", it is a mistake many people make.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me personally, my MAIN goal originally was to lose weight and obtain visible abs. Now that I have become 15-20 lbs away from that (85 lbs lost so far), I have changed my main focus to going through Bulk and cut cycling after achieving a low enough body fat (preferably with visible abs and such).
    So I guess I really do not have an endgame in mind at all anymore, just continuing my fitness aspirations as a whole.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You don't need to lose anymore weight at all. You could do with gaining a bit and doing some strength exercise to put on some of that weight with muscle...otherwise those flabby arms will remain flabby howver much you lose. It will also help "tighten" you up all over.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'll be happy to get a BMI of 25, at that weight I am about a size 10-12 Australian. I've always been heavy even when I was a size 10 proper.

I am actually quite happy if I get down to a 12 after wearing 14-16 (and 18 for a bit) for the majority of my adult life. But I think the BMI thing will always play on my mind if I am still in the overweight category. In my family size 8-10 is the norm for girls and I have always been the odd one out.