Treadmill worth the investment?

Options
I am highly considering buying a treadmill off my friend's mom for $200. I really want one and have for a long time and I feel it will help me achieve my wt loss goals. I'm just very hesitant because I bought a gold gym exercise bike from goodwill and I never use it. Butni feel like I don't get that much of a workou in on the bike as iIwould a treadmill and iI'd liketo start running.
Getting a gym membership would be a huge inconvenience and would never be used. It be nice to have the treadmill available whenever.

Is it worth it??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running on a treadmill? I'd go to the gym and try one out before buying one.

I can't run on a treadmill, I run outside.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the room for one, as long as it had good incline options. But I also use my bike while watching TV all the time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think we can answer that for you. We have a treadmill and I use it a lot. Other people let theirs sit and gather dust.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    treadmills are a dime a dozen, most people can't give them away. 200$ seems a lot, when you can get them for 25$ at most thrift stores. Even if its a high end top of the line, most people that wanna get rid of them have to pay someone to take them away.

And if its worth the investment, that's only if you will use it. I have one in my garage, i use it enough to make it worth it for me to keep it. But i use the one at the gym also. Home treadmills need maintenance and repairs and track adjustments and stuff, so keep that in mind also. I like the gym treadmills because their maintenance guys keep them running in peak condition.
  • elenab386
    elenab386 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I was like you, I wanted one so badly so I got a treadmill , used it for a while then got bored of it and sold it for half its price. Therefore, if you really make a fixed schedule and actually commit to using it then of course it will be a great investment of your money towards your body!!
  • cheliebee
    cheliebee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got one for free and used it all the time until it broke and we got rid of it rather than trying to fix it. It was free. Now I use the treadmill at the gym.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Unless you enjoy running more than biking you might as well just use the bike you already have. They will burn pretty close to the same calories assuming you put in an equal overall effort.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Depends on how old and how well used. It might seem like a good deal but maintenance might end up making not so. If you have to replace the belt and the decking it might end up cheaper to buy a new one. Just saying.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I found one on Craigslist for $125 but the timer/mileage is broken which is a definite bummer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    I am highly considering buying a treadmill off my friend's mom for $200. I really want one and have for a long time and I feel it will help me achieve my wt loss goals. I'm just very hesitant because I bought a gold gym exercise bike from goodwill and I never use it. Butni feel like I don't get that much of a workou in on the bike as iIwould a treadmill and iI'd liketo start running.
    Getting a gym membership would be a huge inconvenience and would never be used. It be nice to have the treadmill available whenever.

Is it worth it??

You can't go too wrong for $200. Having said that, buying a treadmill was not worth it for me. I just prefer actually going somewhere. The fresh air and sunshine are an added bonus.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »

Is it worth it??

It may be worth it if you use it on a consistent basis. You said you hardly use the bike - any reason you think the treadmill will be used more? I mean, I know you said you'd "like to start running". Before I'd invest in something like that, I'd make sure I'm committed to a routine of working out on a consistent basis, which in your case, might mean using the machine you currently have . Put the $200 into savings, in the meantime.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You can run outside for free and it's far more interesting! Either way you need running shoes so you'd be $200 ahead by skipping the treadmill.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It would definitely be worth it for me just to avoid running outdoors in the Texas summers.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That would be nice but right now not an option. It's winter here and plus it's not the best neighborhood. One of my old teachers got mugged while running in our hood. Plus I can only go at night due to being a stay at home mom of a 13 month old.

You can run outside for free and it's far more interesting! Either way you need running shoes so you'd be $200 ahead by skipping the treadmill.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    We bought a used treadmill for $200 a few years ago. Best investment!! Cheaper than a gym and much closer commute :). I sometimes will choose to use it for just a few minutes when I have some time to kill (in addition to my regular runs). You can't beat the convenience. We also have a tv in the same room. I can't watch it when I run, but I can definitely enjoy a show and walk. It also helps with bad weather (I'm not running in the snow). And I've used it when my kids were napping at home
  • diane1223
    diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had one and sold it. I would rather walk outside or with a friend. Also, i like the walking away the pounds dvd's too.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i cant even walk on a treadmill without dying of boredom

id buy an elliptical though, if i had room for it
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Download Couch 2 5K app. Get outside, start running.
    Treadmill not required.

Really the only value I had in a treadmill is something that is more complex - something that will push you to do intervals. Other than that, outside is much better in my opinion and experience.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I bought a high-end treadmill and found that I much preferred walking outside. It became a very expensive clothes hanger. If you really think you'll use it - go for it. If not...outside walking/running doesn't cost a thing.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    One of the best purchases of my life! Got mine new for about £130 about two months ago and I've used it every day since (apart from when we were moving house and unpacking). I've got to Week 9 of Couch to 5 K on it which I'd never have done without it because like, ew outdoors and weather and people. It fits into my lazy lifestyle perfectly. I often just walk on it slowly while watching TV or a film rather than sitting on my bum.