Ingredients
2 1/4 c. oatmeal
1/4 c. nuts
1/4 c. raisins
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. milk
2/3 c. honey
2 eggs (I used mashed bananas in place of the eggs, and I think I'd decrease the honey next time, since the bananas naturally added some sweetness)
2 T vegetable oil
(I also added a generous sprinkling of cinnamon and chopped dark chocolate)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Mix ingredients and fill baking cups.
3. Bake 13-15 minutes, or until golden. (I baked these in my toaster oven, which doesn't have any temperature controls, so I left it in about 20 minutes)

Talk about a healthy muffin!
1. Oats - good for lowering cholesterol, and high in fiber, which you'd appreciate if you tend to get constipated.
2. Nuts - healthy oils/fats, research has also shown that walnuts help against depression. Of course you could leave it out if you're allergic.
3. Honey - If you're going to ingest sugar, you might as well get some antioxidants out of it, right? :wink: Also, buckwheat honey has been shown to reduce cholesterol.
4. Canola oil - well, the label says it has heart-healthy omega-3s.
5. Dark chocolate addition - flavonoids and antioxidants (remember, 70% or more!)
I'm thinking of trying these with blueberries instead of raisins, and those would also add an antioxidant kick :happy:

Quite good fresh out of the oven, but it seems to kind of get a little more gummy as it sits (probably the oats). Reminds me of a microwave oatmeal cookie I made, but while that one was like eating a cookie in a bowl shape, this one is fluffier and muffiny, probably because of the oil and milk. I halved this recipe, and it made 4 regular-sized muffins.

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH BUMP! I also just learned that you can use flaxseed meal and water mixed together in place of eggs. Food, it's a wonderous mysterious thing!
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for sharing

B
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH BUMP! I also just learned that you can use flaxseed meal and water mixed together in place of eggs. Food, it's a wonderous mysterious thing!

I've heard that's good for you too (although I'm not totally informed). Have you tried any recipes with it? Unfortunately, I'm not the grocery shopper in my household, so I don't have access to a lot of health foods like flaxseed, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, etc., although I see a lot of delicious-looking recipes with them floating around...
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    thanks for sharing this!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

I've heard that's good for you too (although I'm not totally informed). Have you tried any recipes with it? Unfortunately, I'm not the grocery shopper in my household, so I don't have access to a lot of health foods like flaxseed, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, etc., although I see a lot of delicious-looking recipes with them floating around...

Yes it is very good for you, I just bought it and put 1 T in my oats this morning... could see it, but didn't change flavor or texture! I haven't tried it in any recipes yet but think I will with these muffins!
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    Yum!!! :D How many muffins does this make? ALso what's the nutritional value for one muffin because i really want to make them but i like to know that before i eat them? Thanks for sharing. :)
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, I halved the recipe and it made 4 standard sized muffins (and by "standard", I mean not mini, but not thosecommercial-sized monsters either). Sorry, I don't know how many calories per muffin. My doctor wants me to gain body fat, so I've given up calorie-counting. What matters is that it's all good-for-you stuff! :wink:
    If memory serves me right, though, 1 cup of rolled oats is around 300 calories. One option is to just pick all the ingredients from the food database here and enter .125 servings.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Bump BUMP!!!!!!