Home gym suggestions

Options
So I am graduating University within a year and have been using my school's gym for the last 2 years. It has everything a lifter would need, though sometimes the wait can be long for certain pieces of equipment. When I graduate I do not really want to have to pay money for a commercial gym membership, since the ones that I have been to are overpriced and do not provide everything I am looking for. There are some more independent gyms in my area that are awesome, but the prices are all about $100+ per month.

So I have been toying with the idea of slowly building a home gym in the backyard garage by the time I graduate. What I have so far on my list of what to purchase is:

- 45 lb barbell
- 300 lbs of plates
- Squat rack/Cage with pull up handles
- Bench (can be used for flat, incline, and decline)
- 5-55 lb dumbbells (preferably going to try to get to 75lbs, but budget is tight ATM)
- "Home gym" machine which comes with a lat pull down bar, hammer strength, and leg curl/extensions.

So all of this equipment would end up costing around $1500 if I purchased in store (which I would prefer, shipping costs are outrageous). Is there anyone who has built their own home gym that has any recommendations on this setup? Anything you think I would be missing out on that I should include? Any type of insight would be great, thanks!

Pics of your own set-up would be awesome, if possible!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    you have a pretty good list. I was space limited so I went with ironmaster quicklock dumbbells, they are way better than power blocks or bowflex adjustables since they are completely solid and you can drop them without harming anything but your floor. You'll need a lot more than 55lbs, You'll be benching 75s in no time, if not already, so this is the most economic option, but if you can afford a full set up to 120+ lb dumbbells then go for that

Here's what I have and use regularly:

Rouge RML-290F 3x3 Power rack with spotter straps
    Rogue ohio bar
    spud inc. cable system, it just attaches to the rack with straps and uses your oly plates for resistance
    Legend fitness 0-90 bench in Mars Red :-)
    Dip Bar
    Dip belt
    Ironmaster quicklock dumbbells (with 120lb addon kit -- adjustable up to 120lb per dumbbell)
    ab roller

Next on my list is a rackable curl bar - I'm eyeballing the Ivanko OBZ-40, just pretty pricey.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

you have a pretty good list. I was space limited so I went with ironmaster quicklock dumbbells, they are way better than power blocks or bowflex adjustables since they are completely solid and you can drop them without harming anything but your floor. You'll need a lot more than 55lbs, You'll be benching 75s in no time, if not already, so this is the most economic option, but if you can afford a full set up to 120+ lb dumbbells then go for that

Rogue ohio bar
    spud inc. cable system, it just attaches to the rack with straps and uses your oly plates for resistance
    Dip Bar
    Dip belt
    Ironmaster quicklock dumbbells (with 120lb addon kit -- adjustable up to 120lb per dumbbell)
    ab roller

Next on my list is a rackable curl bar - I'm eyeballing the Ivanko OBZ-40, just pretty pricey.

Dumbbells seem to be the hardest thing to add in because of how expensive they are. I just saw the price of that ironmaster dumbbell and immediately added it to my cart. That's an amazing deal! It is about 250 bucks less than what I would have been paying for my 5-55 lb set up, ridiculous!

Also, can't believe I left out a dip bar... especially since I hit dips twice a week haha.
    Thanks for the suggestions man, definitely going to tweek my list a bit!

• galgenstrick
    Options

Rogue ohio bar
    Dip Bar
    Dip belt
    ab roller

Dumbbells seem to be the hardest thing to add in because of how expensive they are. I just saw the price of that ironmaster dumbbell and immediately added it to my cart. That's an amazing deal! It is about 250 bucks less than what I would have been paying for my 5-55 lb set up, ridiculous!

Also, can't believe I left out a dip bar... especially since I hit dips twice a week haha.

Awesome. I ordered my quicklocks directly from ironmaster because I didn't need that table thing that comes with it. They gave me like 50 bucks off or something. Their customer service is really good. Just something to consider.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    Options

Rogue ohio bar
    Dip Bar
    Dip belt
    ab roller

Awesome. I ordered my quicklocks directly from ironmaster because I didn't need that table thing that comes with it. They gave me like 50 bucks off or something. Their customer service is really good. Just something to consider.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You have a good basic list. I started by buying used equipment before dropping my gym membership to make sure I would actually work out at home. You can get some great deals on craigslist, etc., if you're patient. I found a half/rack lat/low row combo, a crappy but sturdy bar, plenty of decent plates, dumbbells, mats, an atlas stone, and 2 great benches (one commercial FID and a Rogue flat) that way. I added a Rogue power cage, better bars, bar storage, full flooring and a trap bar new. I comparison shopped Elite FTS and Rogue along with some others before settling on Rogue. I like their shipping prices and customer service the best. They are very responsive.

I use cap 1" plates and dumbbell handles for dumbbells. I don't see the point in taking up space and spending $1500 plus on a complete run of separate dumbbells.

There are some ideas in this thread too: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10328074/garage-gym-types#latest
  • FabianRodriguez94
    Options
    You have a good basic list. I started by buying used equipment before dropping my gym membership to make sure I would actually work out at home. You can get some great deals on craigslist, etc., if you're patient. I found a half/rack lat/low row combo, a crappy but sturdy bar, plenty of decent plates, dumbbells, mats, an atlas stone, and 2 great benches (one commercial FID and a Rogue flat) that way. I added a Rogue power cage, better bars, bar storage, full flooring and a trap bar new. I comparison shopped Elite FTS and Rogue along with some others before settling on Rogue. I like their shipping prices and customer service the best. They are very responsive.

I use cap 1" plates and dumbbell handles for dumbbells. I don't see the point in taking up space and spending $1500 plus on a complete run of separate dumbbells.

There are some ideas in this thread too: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10328074/garage-gym-types#latest

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    - "Home gym" machine which comes with a lat pull down bar, hammer strength, and leg curl/extensions
    I would just skip this, unless you find a great Craigslist deal. Sometimes ppl will give these away.
    Pics of your own set-up would be awesome, if possible!
    yqop8lchib0m.jpeg
    This is my set-up. Rouge Monster Light mini half rack, Rouge Ohio Power bar, Rouge 12" bench, pull up station, and about 1000 lbs of weights, including 1" plate for Dumbbells.

I built the platform where everything rests on. I can squat, bench and deadlift here.

You can read about this build and some of other stuff I've and other MFP members have built...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10253647/diy-gym-box-equipment-what-have-you-built-what-do-you-want-to-build-show-us-your-hardware/p1#
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I like your platform, I just used an area rug haha

jbukl21qeroi.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The author of this is a pretty well know trainer/fitness writer, Dean Somerset. He talks about how he did his home gym. Probably more $ then you are spending but good ideas on what he included and why.

http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you are the thrifty type, consider looking for used sporting good stores, online used equipment, and the local junk yard. Yup, junk yards...I was dropping off old paint cans once and saw piles of plate weights. I asked the guy and he said people buy it, don't use it, and then can't sell it so they take it to the dump. You may find you can snare a few freebie plates that way...worth a try. Also, take care iwth the used places...sometimes you find deals and sometimes their prices really aren't. Don't forget your floor...you don't want to do it on a bare concrete garage floor. Floor tiles are going to add to your bill. Along those lines, some things you might want to consider are gonna be decent lighting and perhaps a decent fan. Again, depending on your space...my garage takes the brunt of the sun during the after noon and it can get oppressive in August in there (I workout in evenings). I spent about 80 on a nice fan but wish I had gone with the next level up. Last, your gym isn't complete till you have your jam system to blast your tunes. <GRIN>
  • radsbod
    radsbod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Id add a heavy punching bag..... And a couple kettle bells
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

jbukl21qeroi.jpg
    Nice and clean and bit a tad more warmer than my unheated garage!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Suspension trainer, cheap and you can do a ton of stuff on one (including dips show you could skip the dip bar). If you have room outside a tractor tire to flip is usually free. Also if you have room outside a sled. Anything from a Prowler to something homemade. This article shows a homemade example:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/build-your-own-sled

Sandbags are nice too. This article has examples of what you can do:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/build-serious-strength-with-sandbag-training.html

Can be homemade or purchased.

You can also make your own medicine balls. A regulation sized basketball filled with sand or pea gravel is around 20-25 pounds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNXs8SJIgE
  • FabianRodriguez94
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I'm definitely going to look into everyone's suggestions.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

jbukl21qeroi.jpg
    Nice and clean and bit a tad more warmer than my unheated garage!

Mine's not heated either, but I just bought a Mr. Buddy propane heater and it's working great when also wearing thermal underwear in the mornings.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a Titan HD rack. I got it with spotter arms and dip arms for under $500 shipped. (comes with J-hooks, 4 weight horns, pin and pipe safetys, and skinny & fat pullup bars) It's a great place to start. You can pick up 300# Olympic set from dicks or dunhams for under $200 when they have sales, about $220 regular price. A Rep Fitness adjustable bench on Amazon for $299. With these 3 you can do all the exercises you need for around $1,000. From there you can decide on dumbbells. To save money, you can get standard plates, lots of 10's, and then 4-5's and 4-2.5's and star lock dumb bell handles that will virtually get you any weight dumb bell you need. I would skip the leg extension/curl until you found one on craigslist for cheap. Do squats, lunges, deadlifts and your legs will grow. I also have a roman chair for hyperextensions (front & reverse) which is great for your REAR core (capped because a lot of people only do situps) and legs. Also, a lat machine is nice to have (not necessary, but nice), so keep an eye out on CL. In the mean time, close and wide rows with your oly bar in the corner work great. Get a landmine attachment for your rack if you have the extra $100. After you get the 3 main parts, you can let your OCD run wild. You'll only be limited by your $ and space! :)

pics
    image_zpsadlmtldk.jpeg
    image_zpsuxsg1l1r.jpeg
    image_zpstrfkkbzi.jpeg
  • psalms2515
    psalms2515 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own from wood? I've made almost a whole gym from wood. Its all sturdy and safe. If it sounds interesting to you I'll post some pics. I would right now but I've just gotten up and my gym is out in the garage...and it's COLD.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm adding some pictures. I've fitted mine with a combination of new equipment (mainly my power rack and bars), items off of craigslist (benches, weights (including the training plates), 1/2 rack with lat pulldown, atlas stone, etc.), and some home-built items such as my lifting platform and chalk bowl (just a salad bowl on a 2" dowel rod I painted red and inserted into a plate storage post).

q76h2rcpfonc.jpg

lppoxib0pvdz.jpg

f8g38ckzveh2.jpg

k0ymqmcfxgv2.jpg
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I just pulled the trigger and bought the rogue adjustable monolift j-cups. I've noticed that when going heavier on the bench my back isn't as tight and have been getting minor shoulder / neck pain. I realized this is from not having a proper lift-off since I don't have a spotter. Might be something to add to your list of you plan on lifting alone. I suspect this will help tremendously.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So I am graduating University within a year and have been using my school's gym for the last 2 years.
    So I have been toying with the idea of slowly building a home gym in the backyard garage by the time I graduate.

Just a thought...

Since you are about to graduate, think about how likely your living situation is to change over the next few years.

I moved a few times during the years following graduation and also got married. It would have been a pain if I had a load of gym gear to move around. Moving that stuff isn't easy and then you need space for it at your new place. You don't want to be in a position of needing to unload it before a move.

People often justify buying gear as a long term money-saver. That may be true if you have an otherwise unused area to keep it set up and you plan to stay there. That is less true if you move and require a bigger place so you can dedicate room to the workout gear. Buying or renting one more room can easily be more than the cost of a gym membership.

There is something to be said for keeping your life simple and minimum possessions. One of the biggest advantages of the gym membership is that it is flexible. If you move, it is easy to find a new gym that is close to gym (or even find a place close to a gym you like).

Having said that... I set up a home gym last year, but I'm an old guy who plans to stay put for a while.