Snacks

Options
Hello

Work is a nightmare for people bringing in homemade cakes and other snacks always someone's birthday.... any ideas how I can resist the temptation its hard...

also any ideas on low calorie snacks I can take into work to help me

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Practice saying "No Thank You" until it comes naturally.

Or have some, and fit it into your daily calorie allowance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Find low-carb replacements that you enjoy instead.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    if it's a sugar fix you're after, things like low calorie cereal bars can help. I have a sweet tooth, so I keep snacks that are less than 200cals on hand; kitkat bars for example, or 2 packs of oreos are 110ish cals. Small pots of sugar free jelly can come in at 10 cals or less. You could always work them into your goals, or have one small slice of cake once a week and work it into your goals.

If you're trying to avoid the snacks and cakes, try to identify why you 'give in' and take them. Is it because you're hungry? If so make sure you eat a filling meal before you go to work/while you're there.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I keep a supply of "approved" snacks at my desk. Try to avoid the areas where the food is kept and if you know it's a birthday or other celebration have a small portion and work it into your daily calories if possible.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to say no. It's kinda cool and empowering actually :) That said - I can never say no to birthdays. The other day ended up blowing 770 calories on birthday cake *sigh*

I have found that it helps for me to pre-log. I had estimated the cake to be about 300-500 calories. Blew my mind to find out there were so many calories *sigh*. If I had seen that hard number on MFP, I would have eaten only half of it.

I do that at home too - I pre-log before eating dinner or snacks. That way I know how many calories I am considering eating. I can (and do) cut portions when calories are too high :)
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The ladies I work with in my office bring a lot of cakes and cookies in through out the week. I've just started actively avoiding our break room because that's where everything is. I keep stuff I know fits into my calorie goal at my desk or in my little lunch bag that I bring with me every where. I even bring my scale to work since it's kind of small and portable. Coworkers made comments a few times, but the weight I'm losing keeps me motivated.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes were brought in for a co-worker's birthday today. I was about to get one and have it as an afternoon treat, but after staring at them for a good 10 seconds, I decided that they didn't look like they were worth it. I'm not sure how many calories are in one, but I'd imagine more than 250. No thanks, I have my own goodies that I'm comfortable indulging in.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I really like cheese sticks. Light ones, specifically. They're 50 calories, which is nothing, and when I'm craving a sugar fix, sometimes fighting fire with water is the way to go. The salt deals with the flavor fix, and the protein makes me feel full.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I really like cheese sticks. Light ones, specifically. They're 50 calories, which is nothing, and when I'm craving a sugar fix, sometimes fighting fire with water is the way to go. The salt deals with the flavor fix, and the protein makes me feel full.

Cheese is always my favorite go to snack. Today I brought, among other things, a babybel cheese.
  • harry3033
    harry3033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I keep a supply of "approved" snacks at my desk. Try to avoid the areas where the food is kept and if you know it's a birthday or other celebration have a small portion and work it into your daily calories if possible.

If you don't mind me asking what do you have on your approved list
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My usual snacks/small meals:

tea or coffee
    almonds...individual packs if you have trouble with counting them out
    light string cheese (need the fridge though)
    Greek yogurt (ditto)
    beef jerky
    small chocolates
    dates
    low cal popcorn
    protein bars, small ones or half them for a snack
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I always stack my work bag with snacks so I feel like I'm not deprived while everyone is eating cakes donuts cookies and crackers.

Good snacks to have on hand:
    - 100 cal pack of nuts
    - Apple
    - Apple w peanut butter
    - Celery with pnut butter
    - Fresh veggies (baby carrots, snap peas, celery, cut up pepper, radishes
    - Popcorn
    - Low fat string cheese
    - Hard boiled egg

Protein really helps to keep me full.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I make sure that when going to places there will be snacks (yes, even work everyday) that I'm not hungry. I pre-pack snacks that fit in my calorie budget and lifestyle and make sure to keep myself from getting hungry enough to be tempted by things other people bring.