Omron body composition monitor

Options
Has anyone here used Omron's full body composition monitor that you stand on and hold the handle? is it pretty accurate? It seems to me that it would be much better than the regular scale type ones.

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I had it and found it to be somewhat accurate. Test in the am after going to the bathroom & before eating/drinking anything. I'm not too concerned about my bf so I gave it away...
  • girlonfire10
    girlonfire10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Where are you standing in your photo? The background in incredible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used the Omron BF511 while I was losing weight and found it very good - although subject to the usual BIA daily / intraday fluctuations it gave a very believable trend over time.
    I had 6 monthly BodPod assessments at the time and the numbers were very close.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    it won't be terribly accurate, none of the devices, whether it be scale or hand-held, that rely on shooting electrical currents through you to measure BF are super reliable. It may be accurate enough for what you want, but a lot of factors can influence the readings (how hydrated you are being the most prominent I can think of atm) so if you're looking for anything more than a rough idea of your BF% you're better off finding a hydrostatic dunk facility, getting a DEXA scan, fining a BodPod location, etc.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For a regular weekly check on progress, they are ideal and the accuracy will be within acceptable ranges if used exactly according to the instructions. I had a dexa scan once and they put me on on the 214f first and the readings were near identical
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've got that kind and it seems to measure about 3% higher than the handheld type, but varies wildly. I dunno, I've stopped using it in favor of just measuring myself and using the US Navy calculation method.
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I did end up buying it. It will probably be good for what I'm looking for right now. Just rough estimates and hopefully trends over time.
  • ValerieJean
    ValerieJean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So how did you like it? I just ordered mine and I get it Saturday.
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It seems ok so far. Using it mostly for weight. I think the body fat trends will take longer to show up.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I've seen conflicting reports on how they work, but regardless it seems to me they would be more accurate than the ones where you only have a measure from the feet. I'm not sure if the ones with four contact points measure through the entire body, or measure upper and lower individually.

But having one with just the foot pads, it seems to me it would easily be skewed for someone with as example, strong and more muscle in the legs, and a more fatty upper body.