Why do I do this to myself?

Options
Weighed in today and was the same as last week. That's ok, it was better than gaining. So tonight for dinner I decided I needed to go out for dinner and have a burger and deep fried cheese curds. Then come home and eat 3 large slices of cinnamon bread for "desert". Feeling disgusted with myself. It sounded so good and then I'm filled with regret.

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just don't weigh yourself tomorrow. Water weight from carbs will make it look like you've gained. The question is, what made you want to do that? Was your body crying out for nutrients or was it an emotional thing? Figure that out and you've got it made. Use this as a learning experience and do try not to beat yourself up too badly. Berating yourself will solve nothing and only serve to make you feel worse.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on. As LH said, making yourself feel bad about it will only make things worse (and possibly lead to you giving up or doing it again). One small blip in your entire weight loss journey isn't going to make too much difference. I'd suggest drinking lots of water so you don't feel too bloated tomorrow, as that always helps me feel better after eating something I probably shouldn't have.

It's definitely a good idea to try and understand why you binged- as LH said is it an emotional thing? What is your current calorie goal and stats? Often people will binge because they over restrict and cut things out of their diets. If you feel the need to binge, maybe find a way to work smaller treats into your daily goals? :)
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think I binged on the bread because I knew I shouldn't eaten that meal so was almost like "well, I screwed up I might as well keep going." Guess I need to remember how I felt last night the next time I want to make a choice like that for dinner.
    Thanks guys! :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So what is your plan to lose weight, besides consuming less calories than you burn? Are you eliminating any foods from your diet? Your reaction is typical to people who go to the extremes when they're ready to lose weight. Pick an appropriate calorie goal you can adhere to, nothing to aggressive, enjoy foods you like in moderation. Use a food scale to be sure the calorie dense foods are servings that truly fit into your deficit.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You did this because you're human and you're going to make some mistakes along the way. Eat it, log it, and move on. Beating yourself up and negative self-talk aren't going to do a single productive thing for your goals or current mindset.
    That feeling of regret is exactly why I do not restrict myself on ANYTHING. I eat all the foods I love, just in smaller portions now. Yeah there are times I want to lose control and down a whole box or bag of whatever I'm craving at the moment, but I've exercised my willpower enough that it's getting pretty strong these days. Keep your chin up and move on to the next day! :)
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Filled with regret? Burger and fries and cinnamon bread sounds like heaven if you ask me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So what is your plan to lose weight, besides consuming less calories than you burn? Are you eliminating any foods from your diet? Your reaction is typical to people who go to the extremes when they're ready to lose weight. Pick an appropriate calorie goal you can adhere to, nothing to aggressive, enjoy foods you like in moderation. Use a food scale to be sure the calorie dense foods are servings that truly fit into your deficit.
    This. Most people who go on "diets" to lose weight, use one that's pretty restrictive to their previous lifestyle.
    Adjustments should be made to overall consumption first, not doing a 180 on how one likes to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I've done it. Just log it and move on. I agree with the others though, if you didn't deprive yourself of things you love, you wouldn't be as tempted to binge anyway...

But that's why IMO weekly weigh ins suck. You could just be retaining water that day and could have lost 1 pound overnight (and maybe you were 1 pound lighter the day before that too).