A body positive article for men

Options
Looks like men can be fit and fat! Lets hear it for these BHM slaying it on the field!

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/04/465569465/if-bmi-is-the-test-of-health-many-pro-athletes-would-flunk

Replies

• HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yeah most men aren't NFL players and just cause we are healthy now doesn't mean the stress doesn't compound later. It's just like if you interview a bunch of obese 20-25 year old they will be ok do it with 40-45 I bet the numbers change. Along with how long they have been over weight and activity level.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I thought NFL players did not have good health outcomes particularly the big ones - linesmen?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »
    Yeah most men aren't NFL players and just cause we are healthy now doesn't mean the stress doesn't compound later. It's just like if you interview a bunch of obese 20-25 year old they will be ok do it with 40-45 I bet the numbers change. Along with how long they have been over weight and activity level.

And considering most NFL players don't play into their thirties...
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I thought NFL players did not have good health outcomes particularly the big ones - linesmen?
    To be fair I think that has to do as much with the collisions as anything else.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Actually was thinking specifically on obesity and health markers

Will try to find
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Save the hate for the right outlet.. This is saying that BMI isn't perfect, and using the Superbowl as an evergreen to hang the article on. My goal weight, 185, has me at a 17% BF, but at a 25.8 BMI, puts me in "overweight". This is not the "healthy at any size" orthodoxy in this article--It's all about "big gummint".
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Where do you see hate?

You do understand the concept of discussion right?
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    And as soon as your average American can do the same amount as physical exercsise that a NFL player can then a comparison can be made.
    It is well known that BMI doesn't really work when looking at professional sports people, but that's because it is designed to be a starting point for Mr/Mrs Average. Mr/Mrs Average aren't professional sports people. In fact the artical clearly demonstrates how as your BMI increases your overall health decreases

70% in normal weight were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 30% in normal weight were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    47% in overweight were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 53% in overweight were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    30% in obese were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 70% in obese were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    16% in obese were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 84% in obese were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures

So yeah, as the higher your BMI goes and you aren't a professional sports person the greater you chance of not being healthy in a range of measures.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    And as soon as your average American can do the same amount as physical exercsise that a NFL player can then a comparison can be made.
    It is well known that BMI doesn't really work when looking at professional sports people, but that's because it is designed to be a starting point for Mr/Mrs Average. Mr/Mrs Average aren't professional sports people. In fact the artical clearly demonstrates how as your BMI increases your overall health decreases

70% in normal weight were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 30% in normal weight were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    47% in overweight were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 53% in overweight were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    30% in obese were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 70% in obese were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures
    16% in obese were in the healthy range for all other measures, this means 84% in obese were in UNHEALTHY range for other measures

So yeah, as the higher your BMI goes and you aren't a professional sports person the greater you chance of not being healthy in a range of measures.

Hatey McHaterson.

(well done btw)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    bmi_comparison.png
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fit just means adapted for a task.

You can be fit to be a lineman and that's probably going to involve carrying a higher bf%. Same deal for a shotputter, for example.

A sprinter would need to have an extremely low bf% to be considered fit for the task.

A heavyweight powerlifter could be extremely fit for the task and be carrying some lbs (think CWS, for example)

It's all about butchering of the word "fit". If you have a set of physical attributes that means you are well suited for a task, then you are fit for that task.

Healthy =/= fit. Although they are often used interchangeably...

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The whole article is a fail right from the very first 7 words of the title...

If BMI Is The Test Of Health

BMI is not "the" (nor even really "a") test of health.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Simple test for a guy. Stand up straight with no clothes on. Look down. If you can't see your pubes without using a mirror you may want to think about if you have a weight issue.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Why doesn't that work for...oh ...boobs *nods* :D
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Horrible. For the vast majority, higher BMI directly translates to higher bodyfat which translates to worse chances of being and staying healthy. The handful of pro athletes who are 200+ pounds at 10-15% bodyfat are a tiny minority.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Horrible. For the vast majority, higher BMI directly translates to higher bodyfat which translates to worse chances of being and staying healthy. The handful of pro athletes who are 200+ pounds at 10-15% bodyfat are a tiny minority.

Yeah even at that most people in those ranges would be very tall and not likly obese. Most humans aren't going to push into the obese range with almost pure muscle without some liquid enhanced lifting, but definitely dip into the "overweight" category if an extreme athlete.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There's always a lot of talk about the failures of bmi, but it can work the other way too
    http://www.deakin.edu.au/news/latest-media-releases/2014/more-young-men-are-obese-than-previously-thought
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It is these talks of BMI inaccuracies and "athletes" being obese but who are really muscular that are giving the whole issue a raw deal. I have lost a lot of weight and I'm looking pretty good, but still averaging just a good bowl movement over a healthy BMI. My wife and a lot of other people, including my doctor, like to point out all the time the little factoid about athletes and BMI not accounting for muscle, so it must be inaccurate and that I shouldn't worry about losing anymore weight.

I call BS! BMI accounts for an average person and an average amount of muscle, everyone is just so used to seeing people who are 10+lbs over weight they don't know what to think when they see a normal weight person. There is a significant weight range for all heights, and fact of the matter is 99% of the population doesn't have the dedication it takes to put on enough LBM to put them into the over weight much less obese range.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @jeepinshawn your post got me a little concerned.

You're not thinking of losing more weight, are you? From one internet stranger to another, you don't need to lose any more. With no sarcasm and fully serious, don't fall into the bmi goalpost trap. You should listen to your doctor.