Marathon training tips??

Options
Alright all you marathoners, this first timer needs any tips! Race is June 4 and training is under way, but anything specific that helped you during training or the actual race?
Also what about weight training on off days? I have been lifting for the past year so should I continue or cut back?? Help a girl out and thanks in advance!

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Well, lots of stuff.

Set up your long runs as race day training. Get up when you would for the race, test out eating strategies (I usually go with a banana or apple and toast with peanut butter 2 hours before gun - oh and coffee, to get things moving pre race). If you want to use gels or chews during the race, try them out so you know how your stomach reacts. I have ones that I like, so I don't actually use them on training runs up to 22 road miles anymore (I want them to be a boost, not something I depend on).

don't aggressively cut your calories, you need fuel to run. I'm a 5'9, 145-150lb female, and I eat about 2700 cals/day during marathon training. I'll lose 1-2lbs over a 16 week cycle on that.

Trust the training, and respect the distance, but don't freak out if you miss a run or two due to life circumstances. Don't try to make it up, just keep going. Still, i make my runs as non-negotiable as going to work or paying my bills. Its raining? hailing? Frogs and locusts? Me no curr, gotta get that run in.

Nothing new on race day. The clothes you are used to, the food you are used to, the schedule you are used to.

If there is a big expo, go to it two days before the marathon, not the day before (its a lot of time on your feet, and the temptation is there to try a bunch of new food samples).

I usually back off to body weight exercises, or what I call "maintenance weight" - I don't try to progress in lifts during high mileage training. Its just too much stress.

if my knees suddenly begin to ache, I check my shoe mileage. Chances are I'm due for a new pair.

Most importantly, soak up the atmosphere and have fun on race day!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well, lots of stuff.

Set up your long runs as race day training. Get up when you would for the race, test out eating strategies (I usually go with a banana or apple and toast with peanut butter 2 hours before gun - oh and coffee, to get things moving pre race). If you want to use gels or chews during the race, try them out so you know how your stomach reacts. I have ones that I like, so I don't actually use them on training runs up to 22 road miles anymore (I want them to be a boost, not something I depend on).

don't aggressively cut your calories, you need fuel to run. I'm a 5'9, 145-150lb female, and I eat about 2700 cals/day during marathon training. I'll lose 1-2lbs over a 16 week cycle on that.

Trust the training, and respect the distance, but don't freak out if you miss a run or two due to life circumstances. Don't try to make it up, just keep going. Still, i make my runs as non-negotiable as going to work or paying my bills. Its raining? hailing? Frogs and locusts? Me no curr, gotta get that run in.

Nothing new on race day. The clothes you are used to, the food you are used to, the schedule you are used to.

If there is a big expo, go to it two days before the marathon, not the day before (its a lot of time on your feet, and the temptation is there to try a bunch of new food samples).

I usually back off to body weight exercises, or what I call "maintenance weight" - I don't try to progress in lifts during high mileage training. Its just too much stress.

if my knees suddenly begin to ache, I check my shoe mileage. Chances are I'm due for a new pair.

Most importantly, soak up the atmosphere and have fun on race day!
    Awesome thank you so much for all that information!
  • songpoet
    songpoet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first marathon, I did no lifting and regretted it so much. I had severe low back pain. Then I started lifting and it really helped. ThickMcRun gave excellent advice.