Frugal Low Calorie Meals

Options
mrsmoore26062010
mrsmoore26062010 Posts: 10 Member
Please can people suggest some cheap and healthy meal ideas :-) oooo and snacks.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Www.budgetbytes.com
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    A stew is always a good bet - especially while its cold. Pack it full of veg and you have a healthy meal that will keep for a couple of days plus, if you slow cook it, a cheaper cut of meat does the job. I use the recipes from the MFP blog a lot - my store cupboard isn't extensive when it comes to herbs and spices but I just miss out the things I don't have and so far everything's been edible. The spinach frittata was a favourite - just eggs, potato, onion and spinach...so easy and cheap.
    Raw veg and humous are always a good bet for snacking (I weigh the humous though - it sneaks up on me otherwise!). I also keep small pots of yoghurt for when I want a sweet treat (petit filous are my brand of choice).
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Www.budgetbytes.com

+1

I also add beans to things if I'm low on meat and funds. They are really cheap. I use half the meat I normally would and round out the calories with beans either whole or mashed/processed/blended to incorporate them into sauce or soup. Eggs are cheap protein. Veggies in season are cheaper as are frozen veggies.

Snacks you could buy bigger bags and weigh and divide them up yourself into snack ziplocs baggies for a decent savings. Works with crackers, nuts, cookies, dried fruits, even carrots, celery, radishes etc. I do better on snacking on higher calorie items if they are already portioned. Boiled eggs are great filling snack so I boil and peel a dozen at a time and keep them in a covered bowl in the fridge.

I don't know the name of this, but I love mixing raw eggs into very hot, just cooked rice and mix until the egg is fully incorporated and it gets cooked. Add some veggies. It makes a luscious rice full of yummy filling and healthy stuff. Weigh rice before cooking and split into portions that fit your calorie needs. I would do 1 to 2 egg per cooked cup rice.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Definitely I use my crockpot! Veggies and beans for soups! If you eat meat, chicken or beef is so good in the crockpot!
    Then bread or crackers or salad on the side, very good and cheap.
    We also do "breakfast for dinner" once a week.
    Eggs, toast and avacado or bacon if you eat meat
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Red ones are my favorite. $5 for several meals. I make a lentil soup with sweet potato, onions ginger spices. Best the 2nd day.

Chili with 3 different beans.

Fiber is your friend.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Soups. Cold soups, warm soups, chicken soups, lentil soups, bean soups, whatever. They fill you up like crazy. Offal. I'm a HUGE believer in offal. It's cheap, tasty, and nutritious. And I second lentils. Also eggs. And don't forget about salads.
  • jamangie
    jamangie Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2 table spoons olive or rapeseed oil
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1 fennel bulb
    Handful of coriander or flat leaf parsley or spinach
    8 cherry tomatoes
    Glug of cooking Sherry
    15 large prawns
    Salt and Pepper
    I serve with rice or pasta or chunk of bread
    This is under 300 calories and low fat.
    Heat oil add garlic, fennel,choice of green stuff, fry gently 12/15 mins.
    Add toms and cook 20/25 mins.
    Add prawns and cook till pink or add cooked prawns and heat.
    Serve with 1/2 cup rice or pasta or if you have more calories left have more
    Normally serves 3
    If your vegetarians use eggs instead of prawns.
  • amandajpiper
    amandajpiper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love doing a slowcooker chilli. I use chickpeas in it. Also, I nix the tomato sauce and paste and use crushed tomatoes instead! Cuts the sugar and preservatives right out! I load is up with tons of veggies and season with chilli powder, cumin, paprika, pepper, and a dash of cayenne peppers.