Can I convince dr?

Options
I saw a new dr a few weeks ago. She ordered labs which I did last week. I received the results by email. My LDL was a little high (by 9 points), but my glucose was high by 25. This is the first time these have ever been high. I do not, do not, want to be on medication or have to monitor daily for diabetes. Can I go in with a strong enough argument to let her give me a chance and not put me on medication at my visit on Wednesday? I have gained about 40 pounds in the last 6 months. Do you think it is realistic to have her give me 30 days, to see if I can lose some weight and then retake the tests I think I will feel very discouraged if she puts me on medication. Is that a strong enough argument?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be on meds, don't be. She can't force you. You get to make the choice. So tell her, "I'm taking 30 days to try to lose some weight." Don't beg for her permission; it's not up to her.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above. Go in, tell her you do not want to be taking medication and ask what her alternative advice is. She can't force you to do anything and if you are clear on what you do and don't want, she will offer alternatives, if she is worth her salt.

You don't need to "beg" or "convince" your doctor. Have her advise you within the parameters which you are comfortable.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    It's your body, your choice. Advocate for yourself. Stand your ground, and get a second opinion if you have to...and a third, if needed. Best of luck to you!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'd give yourself longer than a month, though... just get healthy. Tell her if the numbers aren't under control 6 months from now you'll consider medications.

Set your MFP goal to lose 1 pound a week. Give yourself a fighting chance to adhere to a new plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'd give yourself longer than a month, though... just get healthy. Tell her if the numbers aren't under control 6 months from now you'll consider medications.

Set your MFP goal to lose 1 pound a week. Give yourself a fighting chance to adhere to a new plan.

Bingo...this is pretty much exactly what I did. Everything reversed blood work wise and I'm 35Lbs down to boot.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I saw a new dr a few weeks ago. She ordered labs which I did last week. I received the results by email. My LDL was a little high (by 9 points), but my glucose was high by 25. This is the first time these have ever been high. I do not, do not, want to be on medication or have to monitor daily for diabetes. Can I go in with a strong enough argument to let her give me a chance and not put me on medication at my visit on Wednesday? I have gained about 40 pounds in the last 6 months. Do you think it is realistic to have her give me 30 days, to see if I can lose some weight and then retake the tests I think I will feel very discouraged if she puts me on medication. Is that a strong enough argument?

I was in a similar situation at the end of 2012. My doctor wanted to put me on high blood pressure medication as it had been high for over a year. I decided then I would get serious about getting my health back on track. Five months later I returned to the doctor after regular gym workouts, hiking, and a sustainable healthy calorie controlled diet. He remarked on my weight loss and my blood pressure was nearly back to normal. He encouraged me to continue what I was doing. It was an incredible feeling of achievement and I am continuing to work away at a sustainable lifestyle change for health, fitness, a long life and happiness.

If you are serious about losing weight and reducing the risk of diabetes - then go for it. If instead you are going to use the next 30 or 60 days to continue with an unhealthy lifestyle - then you're just wasting your time. Be honest with yourself. If you feel motivated to do something to change your life and are up for the pain, sweat and tears that will produce in the short term - go for it. But then - you need to actually do it. You need to be able to motivate yourself to start and then to keep going.

I encourage you to go for it and you will find plenty of people here who will be an excellent support for you.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! Just explain to your doctor that you are now watching your diet and exercising and that you would like to manage these levels with diet and exercise - let her know that you would like to have your labs rechecked in a month.... its a reasonable request
    If you don't mind me asking did they do an A1C test?
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In the USA you have the right to refuse medical or surgical treatment. Doctors know this. They may ask you to sign a statement that you are refusing treatment against medical advice if they feel strongly that you should get the treatment. Your lab levels are not high enough to cause alarm but you are wise to want to correct them through a lifestyle change. Your doctor will most likely agree with this and should actually recommend this as the first option. I agree with those that recommend giving yourself 6 months to work on dietary and activity changes.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    100% YES!!!!! A doctor can give you options but that is about it. She can't make you do anything you don't want to do. Also where these test fasting? Because if not they might have been a false high- glucose expensively.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Most doctors would recommend that you work on your weight first. You most likely won't even have to bring it up, the doctor will. She'll tell you to lose weight and watch your carbs, and that she'll want to revisit those numbers next year. Medication will only be brought up if you say that you don't want to make dietary changes, or if there is no change in your numbers next time around. Good luck!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hell, around here it takes me three months to make an apt, 3 more months before the labs come back, and another 2 to get a followup appt. Labs by email? Sounds great to me.
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You know... MOST of our bad health can be cured with a new diet. If you do NOT want to take medication, change your diet now. Obviously, you are under the idea that the level you are at is too high. Ask your doctor which foods are causing this and work on limiting these foods or eliminating them from your diet period.

My Dad has high blood pressure and thick blood. Since he's changed his diet though, his blood is running overly thin, so he's decreased the amount he takes.

Like the others said, it's your body. The human species have survived so many years without medication. I also refrain from taking it if I don't need to. Those companies make so much money off us, I swear they encourage us to eat unhealthy just to shove a pill down our throats.
  • shelialou66
    Options
    If this is the route you are going to take, it would be irresponsible not to be checking your blood sugar. How are you going to know if your efforts are working, low numbers on a glucometer. It's up to you, the only thing you have to lose is your vision, kidneys, a limb and your putting yourself t risk for heart disease.

You can gain control with diet, I did, but you have to check your numbers. Glucometers are cheap and so are strips at Wal-Mart. Your doctor probably would write a script for one. Good luck and keep your numbers low.
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    you go in there be strong and tell her you arent going to take any meds yet until you can see if you can loose weight then she can retest you and go from there she can give you a scrip but you dont have to fill it stay strong and good luck on goal you can do this
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I would doubt she would put you on meds for 25 points. Especially if you are actively losing weight and exercising. Go in with plan. I would recommend really focus on portion control especially managing your carbohydrates. Exercise will be key especially getting the LDL down and managing that hyperglycemia. No caloric sugar rich drinks including juice.

On the other hand, to play devil's advocate, you might really benefit from some antihyperglycemic meds like metformin especially with that sudden weight gain. If you are insulin resistant along with being hyperglycemic it makes losing weight and getting the blood sugars controlled more difficult.

I would talk to her about your options and what is best for long term. Ask her to run an A1C and insulin level test.

The good news is though you are right on that threshold you get to make the choice in your life now do you take control and manage this disease? I'm glad you caught it so early before it got out of control. You can do this in a few months that will be back to normal.

Oh and give it 90 days and have her run an A1C that's a better indicator of long term blood sugars
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You don't have to convince your doctor of anything. It was 25 points on one blood panel one time. If it continues to run high then you'll have a more serious issue. Losing weight will likely improve your blood sugar levels. If you're worried about it look into a referral to a dietician.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Are you classified as a diabetic or just prediabetic? How you approach your diet will be different depending on your how bad it is. Doing this without medication means that you have to actively monitor your glucose levels after every meal that contains carbs. If at anytime your glucose spikes above 140, you're doing it wrong. It's best to test at 1 hour postmeal to find your peak spike. The general diet for prediabetics will be low carb, high fat, and high protein. If you're a Type 2 diabetic, you must run a glucose test after everything including protein and vegetables because they do spike your glucose. Not every type 2 is the same. Some can eat lots of meat, some can not. Starchy vegetables can spike a type 2 diabetic's glucose too. Only way to know is to test everything if you're a type 2.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    40lbs in that short of time is a lot. Even if you went on meds you need to change what you're doing diet wise. The only way you can really treat the cause of your issues is by making healthy choices about what you put in your mouth. Yes there as a rare few that even when being healthy can still have diabetes issues or heart decease but for a significant majority it all comes down to food.

You can monitor your blood sugar on your own getting a meter online on amazon for around $25-30. For your cholesterol how was your HDL and Trigs. Studies more recently are finding the strongest indicator of heart decease is the ratio of trigs/HDL. Above 2 is above normal. Over 6 is high risk.

When I was at my biggest my doc said lose weight and come back in 6 months. When I came back 40lbs less and he said keep up the good work and didn't need anything.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If this is the route you are going to take, it would be irresponsible not to be checking your blood sugar. How are you going to know if your efforts are working, low numbers on a glucometer. It's up to you, the only thing you have to lose is your vision, kidneys, a limb and your putting yourself t risk for heart disease.

You can gain control with diet, I did, but you have to check your numbers. Glucometers are cheap and so are strips at Wal-Mart. Your doctor probably would write a script for one. Good luck and keep your numbers low.

this is ON the money! If you don't keep an eye on what you sugars are, then how will you know if you are eating the right things? Just because "we" have diabetes does not mean our bodies respond the same way to the same food. It really is trial and error for everyone. Without testing, you have no data to spot the errors! Good LUCK!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

THIS. If you are checking your numbers you can keep track if your efforts aren't working and reconsider meds. High blood sugar is nothing to dink around with.