Not losing?

Hi everyone, I'm getting really frustrated. I'm really watching what I'm eating, exercising as well but yet the scale ain't moving? Any advice?

Replies

• toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Can you provide more details? How long have you been at it? How many calories are you consuming? What is your net calorie deficit? How accurately are you tracking your intake, are you using a kitchen/food scale?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Not losing over what time frame?

Your ticker says you lost 6 lbs. What was the time frame for that loss?

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    When you say "watching," how are you watching? Are you eyeballing or measuring or weighing? For how long? Not enough details to provide any meaningful advice.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    what are you doing right now is considered maintenance for your current weight. Tighten up your food, log everything and move more. The scale will move when you are in a deficit.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    I've lost 6 lbs in a little over 2 months, I'm consuming 1200 calories a day but most days I'm in deficit. I weigh everything I eat most time, if I can.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is my really generic advice:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    So you are losing. That's good. 6lbs in two months is good progress. You only have 20lbs to lose so 1/2 lb a week is a reasonable weight loss goal.

You weigh when you can, that's good. Can you tighten up your logging more? Are there things you aren't logging?
    For example, I noticed one day you ate two eggos. Nothing else. You didn't put syrup, butter or anything on it?

Are you drinking anything (I can't remember seeing any drinks in your diary except shakes)?
  • sexymom04
    Thanks guys. Oh yeah I only basically drink water and a few alcoholic drinks here and there. No coffee or tea except green occasionally. I don't drink pop (sodas) ginger ale when sick and that's it. I cut that out about 2-3 years ago.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2016
    6 pounds in two months is good.
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Oh yeah I only basically drink water and a few alcoholic drinks here and there. No coffee or tea except green occasionally. I don't drink pop (sodas) ginger ale when sick and that's it. I cut that out about 2-3 years ago.

• sexymom04
    I guess I being impatient lol
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Also, are you eating back exercise calories? Could they be overestimated somewhere? This will lead to the lesser deficit and a slower rate than you would have had.
  • 3dogsrunning
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Also, are you eating back exercise calories? Could they be overestimated somewhere? This will lead to the lesser deficit and a slower rate than you would have had.

Not, it doesn't look like she is from her diary. I don't exactly remember the exercise numbers but one I noticed was really low as well, like less than 200.
  • sexymom04
    No I'm not