How to figure optimum weight

Options
I have recently lost 75 pounds by diet and cardio. I want to figure out my optimum weight. I have used many of the calculators that are available on the Internet but they all say that I am very over weight. I have a little bit of fat if I pinch my skin at the belly, but over all am not fat. My wife says I've gotten too skinny.
Could it be muscle mass? Im not extremely muscular but have pretty good muscle tone. I have been weight training for a few weeks.
I am 5'6" 172 pounds and medium frame.
How do I calculate effectively? Or are the calculators right and I'm still over weight?
Thanks. J

Replies

• WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    body fat % is a lot better for determining what you're looking for. different body types and muscle mass makes it hard to determine an "optimum weight". I like concentrating more on fitness goals and the mirror than what the scale says. find a way to measure body fat % online, get a measuring tape, and go by that.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I need to get a mirror for the fitness room. J
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    5'7" male lift 3 times a week since last august currently 155 still losing. You are most likely not too skinny or muscly. You still probably have a fairly high body fat %. If you can pinch various places and still can get a 1/4 to 1/2 of thickness between fingers it's not ecess skin there is still fat there.

A lot of people that have been bigger for a while or are around bigger people just forget what normal looks like.

It's ultimately up to you where you stop but I doubt your looking down at a defined six pack like a muscled lean person.

I recomend taking a picture once a month and staying on the diet a few more months and you'll see the difference.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, I have spent far to long trying to figure out my ideal weight. I'm 5'9" and about 170lbs give or take a lb or two. My wife also says that I am perfect and I shouldn't loose any more weight. I don't trust her opinion though, I tell her she is just remembering me as fat shawn and comparing me to that, I lost 110lbs last year. The only real way to know is to get a dxa scan and get your BF% checked, I might do that sometime...
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I figure the BMI associated with lowest overall mortality (22.5-24.9) is a good place to start, and I'll see from there.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I agree that bf% and just liking what you see in the mirror are the better ways of determining where you want to be. My husband is 6'1' with not a large but a massive frame. The ideal weight charts say the upper weight limit for him is in the 190s but he looks ill under 220 lbs.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Unless you have a job doing heavy manual labor you probably don't have pretty good muscle tone after lifting for a few weeks after years of inactivity.

As others have said keep up the exercise. Look to get weight around the top level of normal bmi and reassess.

Congrats on progress so far.
  • HutchA12
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I agree that bf% and just liking what you see in the mirror are the better ways of determining where you want to be. My husband is 6'1' with not a large but a massive frame. The ideal weight charts say the upper weight limit for him is in the 190s but he looks ill under 220 lbs.

.... sure. I really don't like these "They look ill" "They are a skeleton!!" Are they really? Do they really look so thin they need to seek medical help while still technically overweight. (Granted 6'1" is taller but not that much, there is a different BMI calc that can be better for short/tall link at bottom) Generally I doubt it. What we are most likely seeing is the fact that most everyone around us is overweight +. We are not realizing what normal is. You are having trouble adjusting to your husbands new body.

Demonizing and telling normal people OMG I would/did look sick and disgusting at your weight is really rude to people. This kind of mentality keep people from pushing for real healthy weights.

Also frame side amounts to about nothing. You bones don't weigh that much. You might be a bit wider or have thicker wrists but it's almost negligible the difference it would make to end weight.

https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html
  • kami3006
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »

.... sure. I really don't like these "They look ill" "They are a skeleton!!" Are they really? Do they really look so thin they need to seek medical help while still technically overweight. (Granted 6'1" is taller but not that much, there is a different BMI calc that can be better for short/tall link at bottom) Generally I doubt it. What we are most likely seeing is the fact that most everyone around us is overweight +. We are not realizing what normal is. You are having trouble adjusting to your husbands new body.

Demonizing and telling normal people OMG I would/did look sick and disgusting at your weight is really rude to people. This kind of mentality keep people from pushing for real healthy weights.

Uh, the "looking ill" is his and his doctor's assessment and frankly he does look underweight below 220. It's not his height, it's his frame that makes the difference. I have not and would not ever tell some one they look ill. You sure have read a lot into my post that isn't there. My husband doesn't have a new body. He's always teetered around 220-225 since we've been together starting in our teens. He's fit with a low body fat and I am clear as to what normal is. The whole point is that there are folks that fall outside the general bmi estimates for a variety of reasons.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

Yeah this really bugs me too. It's a whole other kind of body dysmorphia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really go by the scale so much as my BF% and my composition when I look in the mirror. About as low as I can really go is 175 Lbs or so and that puts me at very lean (10ish%) and 1 Lb over the high end of a healthy BMI for me...so I don't really put a whole lot of stock into some arbitrary number on the scale.
  • kami3006
    Options

Uh, the "looking ill" is his and his doctor's assessment and frankly he does look underweight below 220. It's not his height, it's his frame that makes the difference. I have not and would not ever tell some one they look ill. You sure have read a lot into my post that isn't there. My husband doesn't have a new body. He's always teetered around 220-225 since we've been together starting in our teens. He's fit with a low body fat and I am clear as to what normal is. The whole point is that there are folks that fall outside the general bmi estimates for a variety of reasons.

While I agree with the poster above that it is a type of body dysmorphia as most folks losing are told they're getting too skinny even with 50 lbs to go, that doesn't change the fact that some folks do become legitimately underweight for their height/frame.
  • HutchA12
    Options

Ok. But 220 to 225 is borderline obese. You can see why It's hard to believe a slightly wider or thicker skeleton would make him look sick. You say he is low body fat so he must look hulkish with all the muscle.
  • kami3006
    Options
    Not hulk but he does have a lot of muscle and what his doctor and physical therapist called the biggest rib cage they've seen. So it's easy for it to show through even at a high weight.

Sorry to jack the thread OP. You'll know you're there when you see it.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't really go by the scale so much as my BF% and my composition when I look in the mirror. About as low as I can really go is 175 Lbs or so and that puts me at very lean (10ish%) and 1 Lb over the high end of a healthy BMI for me...so I don't really put a whole lot of stock into some arbitrary number on the scale.

You are likely one of those few people who have a much higher then average LBM. The vast majority of the people don't have the dedication to get that way. Or I guess what I am saying is that for the vast majority of people I don't think the scale is an arbitrary number.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is why at some point, once you reach normal BMI range that BF% becomes a more useful measure. I'll bet under 220 with a much higher BF% and he likely wouldn't appear sickly.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI for me, other option is waist circumference is at least half your height..
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would trust the BMI calculators online that say your're still overweight. When your wife says that you're not fat, that's a subjective statement. It's probably relative to where you were before, which is 75lbs heavier, so I can see why she thinks that. That's a great accomplishment of losing 75 lbs, but for you to get to a healthy BMI, you still need to lose some weight. Trust the online calculators. Good luck!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just followed the BMI calculator until I was considered "healthy". That was at about 159 lbs, which was my goal weight when I first started at 230 lbs. I got to this point and realized that I still carried a pretty good amount of fat in my belly and chest area, so now I have been just focusing on body fat rather than a number. I am currently at 144 lbs and can definitely see the definition in my body and the fat slowly disappearing around the stubborn areas. If I had to guess, I would be pretty lean in about 15-20 more lbs or so (which is my goal), but who knows? The mirror is the only real indication, I suppose.