Blisters from walking

Options
I started walking in October. I had some blisters when I first started out but they got better. I kind of figured some of the blisters were from new shoes. But now all of a sudden I'm getting blisters again. I have one on my heel and one on the ball of my foot and a couple on my toes. What are some good ways to prevent blisters? I need to get new shoes already. I noticed that the soles of my shoes are very worn and yesterday I had some small bits of gravel seeping into my shoe. I walk outdoors on a cement walking track that is about a half mile from my house so I also walk in the street some too. I walk at a park and it is pretty hilly so I go up and down inclines while walking. Sometimes I feel like my shoes are too big and sometimes I feel like they are too small. When I go downhill I feel like my toes are crowded, but then I think it could be because my feet are moving around in my shoes. I guess I need advice on some shoes that are good for walking and also any tips to prevent blisters in the first place. Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Synthetic socks instead of cotton should help, plus you could try a sports lubricant like Bodyglide. Also wear shoes with a "zero heel". Most shoes have a raised heel, which adds more friction on the heel and toes when walking. I walk in skateboard shoes, which tend to be very comfy. :+1:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks Cherimoose. I will look into that. I never thought about skateboard shoes, but my son wears those all the time. He is in college and walks a lot on campus.