I want to start running outdoors

Options
I'm not very fit at the moment but I've been dying to start running for years just never been confident enough to run on the streets through embarrassment of people seeing me. But I don't care anymore. So I'm off to buy my first pair of running shoes this weekend. Any advice? Stretches I should do? How should I start out considering I'm pretty unfit and and up until a month ago I was a smoker and get out of breathe very quickly. Or just general advice will be greatly appreciated ☺️ thanks in advance

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to suggest the C25K program, and that is for a good reason. It's an excellent walk/run plan that will take you from a non-runner to 5K of continuous running, and it works (and it's available free online, and there are also several apps you can download with it too.)

Don't worry much about stretching beforehand, although a few dynamic stretches aren't a bad idea. Save the static stretching for after runs, consider a foam roller if you are experiencing soreness, and don't try to push too far, too fast, as that's the fastest way to injury as a new runner. Take rest days, do cross-training, and run slower if you're having a tough time with it.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do the same... managed .7 kms so far... lol
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    When I started back after taking 6 years off, I told myself I would "workout" for 20 minutes 3-4 days a week. I started out each workout with a 5 minute walk, then I would "jog" for 2 minutes, then I walked for the remainder of my workout. That was my first workout. For each workout, I would increase the amount of time I "jogged" by a minute or so. If it felt too hard, then I just repeated my previous workout.

I really think the key is starting out super slow - it's no fun trying too much and barely being able to walk the next day. Not only is it discouraging it can lead to injury.

Make sure the speed you run is at a conversational pace. As you get fitter/stronger your pace will increase.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My local Running Room runs regular clinics, starting with an eight week Learn to Run program, which is very similar to the C25K. They say you are ready if you can run for one minute. You can check if you are ready on your own in a quiet corner of the gym on a treadmill.

Then the rest is just conditioning and persistence. Run three times a week for about twenty minutes on alternating days (rest days are just as important as run days!) starting with running one minute, walking one minute.

If you feel a sharp pain, stop or switch to a walk. You don't want to ruin your joints and tendons and slow your progress. Regular sore muscles and achy feelings are fine; in a few days you will be stronger.

Always do your stretches afterwards to avoid injury. I can't emphasize this enough. A good part of successful running is injury avoidance.
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Some people get really huffy about whether to call it running or jogging. It helped me as beginner to think of it as jogging, because for me running meant "running flat out". I thought I couldn't run because whenever I tried to run (i.e. run flat out) I quickly got out of breath and my heart was pounding and I couldn't keep it up for even a minute. How people "ran" 5K or a marathon was beyond me.

But when I thought about "jogging" that sounded like a gentler, more sustainable pace. Faster than walking but definitely not sprinting flat out. So I went jogging. At first I still got out of breath and heart pounding but I could keep it up longer than the flat out sprint, and as I kept at it I could eventually "jog" 5K and 10K and a half marathon and now I'm training for a triathlon.

I learned along the way that distance running is about finding a pace you can keep up comfortably for a long time. My advice to you is to go slow. You're not trying to run flat out. You're not trying to escape an axe murderer or win an Olympic medal. You'll get faster, but start real slow.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now that you don't care what people think when they see you, you are ready for some cool and totally unnecessary swag:

http://www.amazon.com/Running-Jogging-Reflective-Aarmband-Flashing/dp/B00M2H6A0S

https://flipbelt.com/

ICE Shoe tag
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get a real fitting and get good shoes, no off the rack shoes and The Shoe Barn. C25K is a really great place to start. If you do the C25K program, remember this, it is better to run at a pace that you can run the entire time you are supposed to. I help with the local running club and we sponsor about 4 C25k programs per year. The most common mistake I see is beginners start running too fast and cant run the time allotted for running. RUN SLOW!!
  • boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Start with a mile or two in a comfortable pace then progress from there. Add .5 miles a week and/or change up your pace. Record your distance and time. Good luck.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Some people get really huffy about whether to call it running or jogging. .

The difference between running and jogging is a race entry! ;)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    When I started running I could only run to my corner (I'm the second house in) -- then I got to be able to run around the corner, then later I could run down the first block and so on and so on until one day I ran a half mile and eventually a mile and just kept working at it from there -- I've now completed a 10 mile run (Broad Street Run in Philly) and a half marathon (Philly Marathon) and am now working on eventually being able to run a marathon -- it does get frustrating working so slowly on building up mileage but it will happen -- couch to 5K is a great program -- I use training programs on Runmeter on my iPhone. Getting fitted for proper shoes is also a great idea and will make you more comfortable while you plug away at the miles. Also, cross training helps a great deal -- I've done Bikram yoga and am currently doing StrongLifts 5x5 and spinning class along with running.