Lifting weights?

Options
So, Ive lost 50 pounds but need to TONE. Bad.
I have 4 weeks until my wedding.

I am currently still trying to also lose more weight. But if toning makes my body look slimmer, than I dont care about the number on the scale.

I am doing the 30 day shred, TWICE a day, everyday + an hour at the gym everyday.

Wondering, how heavy of weights I should lift to built muscle? I have literally NEVER lifted weights before. Except my 3lb weights I use during the 30 day shred :O

Im not sure if I should be using the machines at the gym or using free weights?

Help? <3

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, I'd make sure your expectations are reasonable.

But to your question...
    free weights and compound lifts will give you the most bang for your exercise minute. But machines can be very effective too. Heavy is relative. What's heavy for me might not be heavy for someone else. It takes a bit of trial and error, but heavy is generally the amount of weight needed such that you can do 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps before you fail. If you can do more than 5x10, it's not heavy enough. If you can't do 3x5, it's too heavy.
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Machines are not ideal in that they only allow you to move in one plane, but it's easier to have good form on a machine. Progressing from machines, I would suggest dumbbells followed by barbells, but if you can afford it even for a few sessions get a trainer to teach you the proper way to lift. Better to be out a little money on your wedding night than injured! Shameless plug perhaps, but I'm NASM certified and the program is one of the better ones out there. If your gym has any trainers with the NASM cert, I would recommend it. Good luck!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Response on this are likely going to vary widely (and results will vary by individual), so just consider these very general recommendations. I would recommend using whatever weight you can do at 8-12 reps (3-4 sets). Whatever you choose to do, make sure you have a plan, rather than just walking into the gym and randomly lifting weights with no real goal in mind. Also, be sure to REST. You will significantly hinder your progress if you don't rest sufficiently. Generally speaking, it is recommended you wait 48 hours or more before working that muscle directly again and also be sure to take at least a day or two in which you don't engage in any heavy exercise. Go for a walk instead.

This. Make sure that whatever you lift, you choose a weight you can lift safely and with good form. Form is key to preventing injuries, plus you will get a better workout if you use less weight, but perfect form. Jefit.com has a lot of good routines for beginners that you could use as a starting point for figuring out a routine.
  • Angelikajohnston
    Options
    If building muscles is your goal, and you wish to achieve it quickly, then chances are that you are thinking of opting for a Good diet. There are a plenty of foods available in the market that can help you achieve your muscle mass goal quickly.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If building muscles is your goal, and you wish to achieve it quickly, then chances are that you are thinking of opting for a Good diet. There are a plenty of foods available in the market that can help you achieve your muscle mass goal quickly.
    um, no.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    *oops*
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    um, no.

Correct. It's virtually impossible to build muscle mass quickly....I'm guessing you're on a deficit so after your "noob" gains you won't build muscle mass at all. You will just gain strength and maintain muscle mass.