good fats...how often????

pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
I checked the search but couldn't really find what I am looking for so here is my question:

I love avacado and walnuts. I know they are high in fat but I also know it is a healthier fat. How often should I be eating them?

Replies

• Umm...everyday? Fats are a vital part of a nutritious diet, so eat them and just make sure they fit into your macros
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    I think the answer will be if it fits in your macros do it.

I eat at least half if not a whole avacado a day, but it always fits into my calories - i love them and i love the benefits to my body - my skin, nails etc. Even if I'm over because of it i dont worry. the nutririon associated with it are worth it to me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Umm...everyday? Fats are a vital part of a nutritious diet, so eat them and just make sure they fit into your macros

^This.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Fat is required, daily typically. The only fat you really need to worry about avoiding is trans.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    You need fat every day. There are a number of vitamins that are fat soluble and cannot be absorbed into the body except in the presence of fat. I try to avoid trans fats and saturated fats as much as possible, but monosaturated and polyunsaturated ate both natural and healthy (both are found in a lot of natural, healthy foods).
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    You only need to avoid trans fat. Others are good for you, even saturated fat as long as you go for natural unprocessed foods. Your own body fat is saturated fat and when burning it off it is just the same as if you ate it.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    You need fat every day. There are a number of vitamins that are fat soluble and cannot be absorbed into the body except in the presence of fat. I try to avoid trans fats and saturated fats as much as possible, but monosaturated and polyunsaturated ate both natural and healthy (both are found in a lot of natural, healthy foods).

This. If you eat your veggies totally fat-free, the fat soluble vitamins will pretty much go right through you and you won't benefit from them.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Personally I diet on a minimum of 5000mg omega 3, 3000mg primrose oil, 3000mg CLA and 5000mg of Acetyl-L-carnitine to help the fat into the cells. Thats daily. I split them across the first three meals typically.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Umm...everyday? Fats are a vital part of a nutritious diet, so eat them and just make sure they fit into your macros

my problem is that if I do both in a day it doesn't really fit into my macros. Just those two will push me over typically. But I figure since it's not tran fat I am not worried about going over with those.

I guess I am wondering if they should be eaten daily or only a few times a week. I do get my number of fats so I am not depriving my body of healthy fats (cottage cheese/yogurt etc) but I have just never heard whether or not to limit nuts and avacado
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Funnily enough many EFAs actually help you burn fat...
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    I eat walnuts everyday and avocado most days
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    You only need to avoid trans fat. Others are good for you, even saturated fat as long as you go for natural unprocessed foods. Your own body fat is saturated fat and when burning it off it is just the same as if you ate it.
    Like all mammals humans have a combination of fats that make up our adipose tissue and like most mammals the predominant one is monounsaturated fat with saturated a close 2nd.