Is there such a thing as too much Peanut butter if you don't consume any meats?

AngieFit_xoxx
AngieFit_xoxx Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys!
So I was wondering if there is such a thing as too much peanut butter consumption when you do not consume any meats?
My diet is mostly consumed of clean fruits and veggies.
Very low carbs (pasta, potato, bread) and I rarely consume meat.
I usually do not have an overload of anything, but lately I've been letting myself get carried away with the peanut butter (Kraft 90 Cal per TBSP).
I start by measuring 2 TBSP but then... I just go for more, I'm roughly guessing I consumed 3.5 tbsp? maybe 4. There's no way I can say for sure.
Keep in mind I do cardio 5 times a week in the morning, and I recently started doing weights at the gym 2x a week in addition to cardio.
Let me know what you think!

Ps- I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle mass.

Replies

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Where else are you getting protein from? You will need a mix of sources to get all the different amino acids you need. I wonder how many calories you are eating, because it sounds like your diet is mostly fruit and veg!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Fruits and veggies are mostly carbs. Peanut butter is mostly fat. Where are you getting your protein from? You need certain amino acids to stay healthy.
  • galgenstrick
    From what I can tell, you're going to be losing muscle with your current diet and program, not gaining it.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    No
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Fruits and veggies are mostly carbs. Peanut butter is mostly fat. Where are you getting your protein from? You need certain amino acids to stay healthy.

beans, legums, kale, and spinach are all high in protein. Quite a few veggies are 30% or more protein per calorie. Not as efficient as chicken (~80% protein per calorie), but if you like those foods you can easily get your protein in.

2x/week lifting and protein from plants is enough to maintain muscle.
  • galgenstrick

beans, legums, kale, and spinach are all high in protein. Quite a few veggies are 30% or more protein per calorie. Not as efficient as chicken (~80% protein per calorie), but if you like those foods you can easily get your protein in.

Agreed, but you have to be conscientious about it. My point was she said she eats "very low carb" which by most definitions is less than 20%, if she's eating less than 20% carbs and not eating any protein sources besides veggies / beans or whatever then she's definitely not getting enough protein.
  • AngieFit_xoxx
    edited February 2016

Agreed, but you have to be conscientious about it. My point was she said she eats "very low carb" which by most definitions is less than 20%, if she's eating less than 20% carbs and not eating any protein sources besides veggies / beans or whatever then she's definitely not getting enough protein.

Very low carbs as in potato, pasta and bread...
    I do eat high protein content through my nuts consumption and the veggies that are loaded with protein and occasionally meat. As well as protein shakes after gym.
  • galgenstrick
    edited February 2016

I do eat high protein content through my nuts consumption and the veggies that are loaded with protein and occasionally meat. As well as protein shakes after gym.

if that works out to be >0.6g of protein per pound of body weight every day then you probably have your health needs covered. If you're trying to retain muscle while losing weight, which you mentioned you are, you should ideally be eating >0.8g per pound to be on the safe side.
  • AngieFit_xoxx

if that works out to be >0.6g of protein per pound of body weight every day then you probably have your health needs covered. If you're trying to retain muscle while losing weight, which you mentioned you are, you should ideally be eating >0.8g per pound to be on the safe side.

And I agree with what you are saying... However you have still yet to answer my actual question and point of this post...
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    The calorie to protein ratio seems a bit low for peanut butter to be a good source, and I love peanut butter! Heck I could sit and eat peanut butter by the spoonful!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    You should weigh your pb on a scale to see how much you're consuming. If it puts you over your calorie limit, it's too much.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    You should weigh your pb on a scale to see how much you're consuming. If it puts you over your calorie limit, it's too much.

Thats what I do. I place a piece of bread on the scale tariff it, and add 32g or whatever my target is...
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Look into http://www.bellplantation.com which sells PB2 (powdered peanuts) you just mix with water, and you get the protein but without the fat. I love it!!
  • galgenstrick

And I agree with what you are saying... However you have still yet to answer my actual question and point of this post...

I answered your question. If you're not getting enough protein, then you're probably eating too much peanut butter.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    As someone who became an overweight vegetarian with very little effort I can promise you, that is entirely too much peanut butter. Ease off on the nuts and focus more on beans and edamame for your protein. Hemp protein as found in shakes is also a vegetarian option.

However it sounds like you want to be a low-carb vegetarian. That's a difficult one. Good luck with that.

Sometimes you can't have your low-carb, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free cake and eat it too. As it's now cardboard and inedible.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    I know powdered peanuts sounds gross, but when you add warm water (2 T of mix to 1.5 T of water) then it gets creamy and is great to put on waffles, hearty toast, and to dip apple slices in. :-)
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2016
    90 calories x 4 = 360 calories. Your question: Is that too much (if you don't consume any meats)? Too much protein? No. Too much fat? You'll probably peg that macro but I don't think that was the point of your question. Too much caloric intake? You can determine that via your food diary.

I personally like peanut butter a lot! I have to watch myself with peanut butter or I can easily blow my caloric limit for an otherwise well managed day. I don't think that the amount of meat I have eaten really impacts my peanut butter consumption in one way or another.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Definitely! You can overeat on anything, regardless if you don't eat "x". I don't eat heaps of meat (Well, not compared to other people in my life) but it doesn't mean I can eat as much peanut butter as I like, one teaspoon or two of the super-calorie-dense stuff could easily negate the fact i'm not eating as much meat as others are.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    As much as I love peanut butter, I don't consider it a good protein source because there's usually around twice the amount of fat as there is protein, and roughly the same amount of carbs as protein. I eat it because I enjoy it, but if I need protein there are sources which offer much more 'bang for the buck'.
  • Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    As someone who became an overweight vegetarian with very little effort I can promise you, that is entirely too much peanut butter. Ease off on the nuts and focus more on beans and edamame for your protein. Hemp protein as found in shakes is also a vegetarian option.

However it sounds like you want to be a low-carb vegetarian. That's a difficult one. Good luck with that.

Sometimes you can't have your low-carb, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free cake and eat it too. As it's now cardboard and inedible.

The last statement just made me laugh so hard.