I am still FAT!

Options
So here's the really screwed up thing.... I have lost 51 lbs. I have 29 to go - or at least I should have that to go... the goal is a Single Digit jeans size more than the # on the scale.

Anyways...I have an amazing amount of supportive friends and family who have all been telling me I am looking great. Here's the problem... I still see a fat person!

I wear smaller clothes and some of the clothes even look good on me. I am not depressed or un-satisfied with my results. But I do that " get out of shower and see myself in the mirror " ... I don't see a thinner person. I see a fat person.

I didn't do the " before " pictures. I tried, but every picture I freaked out over how awful I look - so that went away. Hell I can't even do it now without thinking I am still so fat.

I see the success stories and everyone looks so THIN. Like perfect body thin. Every time I get into a new size, I keep expecting to SEE a Thin person in the mirror ....but she is not there... Am I completely mental here?

Replies

• chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    http://www.mybodygallery.com
    I love this site.. you plug in all of the other people with your height and weight, so you really see how you actually look! I have the same issue, i still feel like i am soo fat. Also, try loving yourself!! You're beautiful no MATTER WHAT the scale says!! :)
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love this site.. you plug in all of the other people with your height and weight, so you really see how you actually look! I have the same issue, i still feel like i am soo fat. Also, try loving yourself!! You're beautiful no MATTER WHAT the scale says!! :)

oh man! I just plugged in my stats and I got nothing... I'm a weirdo, nobody looks like me :cry:
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, but i am fat. Until am comfortable grabbing a pair of jeans and a shirt and go and not have to worry whether i have muffin top, if the shirt is ok, etc.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options

oh man! I just plugged in my stats and I got nothing... I'm a weirdo, nobody looks like me :cry:

try just height/weight??
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

try just height/weight??

That works. It is an interesting site. Thanks for sharing.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It might take a while for your brain to catch up with your body. You might even need something more intensive than friends and family reassuring you. There is nothing wrong with that, it's how our brains are wired something about change freaks us out I think. I am not anywhere near my goal, but even so I am having a hard time seeing how I have changed at this stage. I don't think losing 50 more pounds is going to change that for me either. I am aware of the problem and still nope don't see it. So, I will just have to wait it out and see what happens.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I find as I lose weight, I get more and more aware of my body. Yeah, I'll look at my calves and think how muscular they have gotten, but my stomach, I know for a fact it's smaller, but it bothers me more than before. Because I am paying attention now.
    I still have 20-30lbs to go, and I am not unhappy with the way I look, it's just a trick my mind is playing on me...
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I read about an activity recently: look at yourself in underwear in a mirror. Draw what you see as best as you can. Give it to someone else and see if they think it's accurate. Doing this is supposed to help you know if you just see yourself as huge and fat or if you actually are huge and fat. People are really hard on themselves and have incorrect perceptions a lot of the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    So how have you lost your weight? Diet only? Diet and cardio only?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition