Thoughts On Cheese?

Options
13»

Replies

• MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Is it white cheese? I was told that white cheese has less fat. So I stick to white cheese.

Woo hoo aged extra sharp NY style cheddar cheese here I come! Well, not to be the technical boring one in the bunch, but all cheese is white actually. Most European style cheese is white it's just us crazy Americans who think it needs to be yellow. Even blue is a white cheese covered with blue mold.

So I did some research, and they do use a dye. Interesting!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Is it white cheese? I was told that white cheese has less fat. So I stick to white cheese.

Woo hoo aged extra sharp NY style cheddar cheese here I come! Well, not to be the technical boring one in the bunch, but all cheese is white actually. Most European style cheese is white it's just us crazy Americans who think it needs to be yellow. Even blue is a white cheese covered with blue mold.

So I did some research, and they do use a dye. Interesting!

I tell you it's a sin! Cheese is beautiful in it's own glorious state. However, one positive note if it's colored with beta carotene you get a little extra vitamin A. I'm not sure about that annatto though what's in that.

Sorry didn't mean to be a cheese nerd. I cant help it when it comes to cheese.

But if you are looking at lower fat versions mozzarella with part skim milk is good and goat milk based cheese like feta.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I love cheese!

I still have half a case of Cabot's seriously sharp that I've been nomming my way through ...
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The smoked gouda I had for lunch was divine.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The smoked gouda I had for lunch was divine.

Was it gouda nuff? :D
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Cheese is only meant for baby cows.:tongue:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    A life without cheese is not a life worth living. :wink: Seriously, though, it's amazing and I could never sustain a healthier lifestyle without it. If you're on a temporary diet, fine...cut it. But if you want to really make a lifestyle change, cheese has to be involved (for me, anyway).
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    IIFYM...
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My one and only thought on cheese is:

It's delicious.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Not many foods are BAD for us, in moderation.

My tip is I grate my cheese with a microplane grater as it makes it look a huge volume as opposed to a slice and weigh it to make sure I stick to 30g portion until I learn what that really looks like.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE cheese. I have (not intentionally) decreased it from my diet since i started using MFP and tracking my food. My only suggestion is if you do want to contiunue eating the cheese, do it. In my experience the only thing thats happened to me from depriving myself of something is that i've then binged on it. I mean as long as you balance out the rest of your diet accordingly what is the harm?

THIS... and me too, looooooovvvee cheese!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up cheese, or even compromise on low fat. I don't sit here and eat it by the slice in front of the TV anymore!

My thoughts on cheese? Get in my belly!!!
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, cheese. I grew up on cheese sandwiches, and for party's and birthdays there was always the platter with cheese cubes on it. I never really got into eating it as a snack though, at least not by myself (when others want to snack on cheese I'll gladly join in).
  • crippledvirgin
    Options
    Fat free cheese exists, pretty good for eggs. I usually throw a cup on my eggs in the morning. Or use them on my potatoes. 45 cals for 9 grams of brotein. bretty gud
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you can eat it in moderation, it's fine. I usually can't, because I love cheese. If it's offered to me I'll eat it, but I almost never buy it. I also don't order cheese plates although they present a wonderful opportunity to sample different cheeses.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese! I eat it almost everyday! Protein, healthy fat and calcium! In moderation its really good. :)

I hate the low fat stuff, in comparison to regular cheese it is like plastic. I can't even melt it properly for cheese in toast without it turning rubbery! Eww! Full fat cheese all the way!