Time for a treat

Options
While I actually hate the word Cheat day, I don't have a better word to call it. I've decided to have a treat once a week to minimize its effects on my digestion.

Today is that day, and while I already have my treat planned, I feel sort of scared to actually go and get it. I guess I fear one will turn into 2-3-4-5 an so on. Or that I'll get insane cravings through the day for all other things.

I guess I have trust issues? Even when it comes to myself. I've read online that a craving is like a wave. It builds up, peaks, and then breaks. The person that said this also suggested to "ride the wave" without reacting. Acknowledge it, feel it, think about it, but don't react on it.

Here's hoping I'm a good surfer...

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

I guess I have trust issues? Even when it comes to myself. I've read online that a craving is like a wave. It builds up, peaks, and then breaks. The person that said this also suggested to "ride the wave" without reacting. Acknowledge it, feel it, think about it, but don't react on it.

Here's hoping I'm a good surfer...

That's quite interesting. When I was pregnant with my first I would be starving by the end of the work day and "craving" carbs like crazy. To get the train home I had to walk past a fragrant fast food establishment and the battle to not buy some hot chips was real.
    But every time I gritted my teeth, went home, and had my planned dinner. And I always found the supposed craving was gone as soon as I was no longer hungry.
    I don't think there's any trick to willpower, you just have to Do It. And if you do slip up, don't give up, just get back to work.
    Fwiw I gave a treat meal every Friday (takeaway curry and beer). Hasn't stopped me losing. Hasn't led to a cascade of bad eating.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yes willpower is my weakness. I give in waaay too easy. But I also realise that the only way to improve it is to practice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What is it you're going to eat?
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    What is it you're going to eat?

Chocolate milkshake :tongue:

It was delish. I'm feeling alright craving wise at the moment. Maybe I was scared of nothing.

Afternoons and evenings are my weak times though, so I need to make sure I keep myself busy from 4pm onwards.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    On the days that I feel I need to eat something very high in calories I often fill myself up with something before eating it. I guess there is wisdom in dessert being traditionally served after a big meal. When you are nearly overfull and satisfied you are less inclined to overindulge and a small portion goes a long way.

How about have one of the most satisfying meals to you right before having your milkshake instead of having it as a snack? You'll be happy and full, so having a second cup would not be an option because it would mean overstuffing yourself and being uncomfortable.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    On the days that I feel I need to eat something very high in calories I often fill myself up with something before eating it. I guess there is wisdom in dessert being traditionally served after a big meal. When you are nearly overfull and satisfied you are less inclined to overindulge and a small portion goes a long way.

How about have one of the most satisfying meals to you right before having your milkshake instead of having it as a snack? You'll be happy and full, so having a second cup would not be an option because it would mean overstuffing yourself and being uncomfortable.

Sounds like a great idea actually - I can't remember the last time I actually had dessert after a meal LOL. Those used to be Sunday tradition in my parents' house.