To eat or not to eat with the grilled chicken breast

Options
Ok, I'm pretty sure boneless skinless grilled chicken breasts are a staple of just about everyone's diet on here, but my question is what do you normally eat with your grilled chicken?

For a side item I sometimes use Bush baked beans because it's super easy to prepare, but I don't think that's working out for me because of the sodium, sugar and carbs.

Also I rotate in sweet potatos, Steamers broccoli, corn on the cob. Any other healthy alternatives?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Roasted root veggies, brussel sprouts with dried cranberries and bacon, Mexican style rice and black beans with mango salsa, pineapple and bell peppers
  • OliviaMG1
    OliviaMG1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think some of my ideas are high in sodium as well (since that seems to be an issue for me). But crock pot it with frank's red hot & shred! I put the "buffalo-style" chicken in wraps & over salad. I also baste it in bbq sauce & put it on salad; make a ton of different version of stir fry ideas (different sauces--prob. high in sodium :-/ ) & kabobs with rice. I also crock pot it with mixed veggies & a can of campbell's healthy request cream of chicken soup. You can put it over egg noodles, rice, or bread. Cube the chicken and sautee with olive oil, garlic, & zuchinni (sp.) over whole wheat pasta.

These are just a few of my favorites. Hope it helps :)
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Salad or a fruit and Cottage Cheese
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    -Snow peas
    -Crinkle cut carrots
    -Green beans
    -Cauliflower
    -Broccoli
    -Corn on the cob
    -Edamame beans
    -Baked potato (once a month maybe)
    -Home made mashed potato's (once every other month maybe)

-White rice
    -Brown rice

-Orowheat muli-grain sandwich thins (makes for a good chicken sandwich)

That's about all I make. I stick to what I know.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
    Steamed broccoli with a pad of Kerry gold butter and salt.
    Sriracha hotsauce and real mayo.
    Dark leafy greens.
    Homemade Alfredo sauce.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like a delicious chicken salad for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Would only eat boneless, skinless chicken breast if I was forced to and I would probably need to stuff it with something delicious like cheese, herbs, ham, garlic etc to make it palatable.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    salad, slaw, roast vegetables, corn, sometimes tortilla or pita with sliced tomato.
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Grilled zucchini, spicy baked sweet potato fries:love: , roasted brussels sprouts, grilled asparagus, pan fried or cabbage on the grill, roasted garlic cauliflower, brown rice, grilled peppers & onion, coleslaw, butternut squash fries (like sweet potato fries w/less calories), sweet baby carrots, endless variety of grilled chicken salads.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bush baked beans = fail...

steam broccoli cauliflower, asparagus or have a cup of spinach. Only takes a few minutes to prep..
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    We use grilled chicken in wraps or tacos -- small flour tortillas, or homemade corn tortillas. We serve with mashed (refried) black beans, sautteed peppers/onions, shredded baby spinach or arugula, salsa, and avocado. Base of beans, strips of chicken, lots of veggie toppings.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    stir-fry with veggies
    chicken alfredo with broccoli
    chicken and rice casserole with mushrooms
    coated in yogurt and seasonings and baked
    cut into strips, breaded and baked with oven fries
    sauteed with pineapple juice and soy sauce

I can always think of a new way to fix it. Chicken is so versatile.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Bush baked beans = fail...

steam broccoli cauliflower, asparagus or have a cup of spinach. Only takes a few minutes to prep..

I love Bush's beans! Yum! You can still have a veggie too. Veggies always get added!
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't bear grilled chicken breast - it's so tasteless and has such a claggy, uniform texture. I usually chop mine up and add it to vegetable curry (thai, indian, malaysian etc) or some other tasty casserole.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and steam in the bag veggies. I also love to have low fat sour cream mixed with picante sauce on top of the chicken breast for flavor.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes glazed with coconut oil, sprinkled with rosemary and cooked with a full clove of garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then cook. Delish.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Baked green peppers-
    Slice open green pepper into 4 pieces (throw away seeds, duh.) and spoon on some no-salt-added tomato sauce (WalMart has a Great Value brand) and sprinkle on some spices (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, oregano, etc) and top with some fresh shredded Parmesan cheese and sliced mushrooms. Bake at 375 for around 15 mins.

Horseradish Carrots- (REALLY good)
    15 baby carrots, sliced
    2 T low fat mayo
    2 T chopped onion
    2 t horseradish
    black pepper
    paprika
    Pre-heat to 375. Slice the carrots and boil in enough water to cover them until softened (10~ish minutes). Mix mayo, onion and horseradish. Lay drained carrots on baking sheet and top with mayo mixture and sprinkle with black pepper and paprika. Bake for 12 minutes

Fried cabbage & onions-
    Small head of cabbage-chopped
    1 small onion-chopped
    1 T chopped garlic
    4 slices reduced sodium bacon
    1 T olive oil
    black pepper
    Fry bacon until just about crisp. Add onion, cabbage, garlic & olive oil- saute until cabbage is browned. Sprinkle with black pepper.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm pretty sure boneless skinless grilled chicken breasts are a staple of just about everyone's diet on here, but my question is what do you normally eat with your grilled chicken?

For a side item I sometimes use Bush baked beans because it's super easy to prepare, but I don't think that's working out for me because of the sodium, sugar and carbs.

Also I rotate in sweet potatos, Steamers broccoli, corn on the cob. Any other healthy alternatives?

It's not a staple in my diet, but any vegetable would be fine along side a grilled chicken breast. Stir fry is quick and easy, or just about any veg is good roasted.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I put paprika on my and roast it wrapped in foil in the oven. If I am feeling decadent I may drizzle with a little olive oil. Sometimes I add some veg on top, peppers mushroom, chilli, garlic etc. Or I serve with some steamed frozen veg or sometimes beans and couscous or brown rice or quinoa.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I encase mine in cheese.