Late afternoon eating

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
This has been my first week back of really trying to eat healthy and exercise. My goal this week was to start journaling food intake and being more mindful of what and when I was eating. I did okay with this. Really need to keep working on getting everything typed in.

This week I want to start working on an eating problem area. Afternoons. From the moment I am home till dinner time I eat alot! Alot of the times I will have eaten three or four snacks before I process that I am even eating. Any suggestions on getting through these 3 or 4 hours without blowing the roof off my calorie count each day? I seem to be very hungry at this time, but also doing mindless eating.

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough for lunch? I snack like that in the mornings while at work, and eat an ok lunch. I'm pretty full all afternoon till dinner.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I try to prelog my foods. I'll pre-plan snacks to have during the day that will fit into my calorie goal. You may do well to set aside a portion of your calories to go towards this time since you typically eat everyday before dinner.
  • hope25
    Options
    Do you eat enough for lunch? I snack like that in the mornings while at work, and eat an ok lunch. I'm pretty full all afternoon till dinner.

It does not seem to matter how much I eat for lunch. When I was not trying to be healthy and had big lunches I still ate mindlessly after work.
  • hope25
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I try to prelog my foods. I'll pre-plan snacks to have during the day that will fit into my calorie goal. You may do well to set aside a portion of your calories to go towards this time since you typically eat everyday before dinner.

Thank you that is a good idea to prelog.
  • hope25
    Options
    Oh my goodness I just looked back and old post from over a year ago when I was trying to make improvements and I asked this same question. I guess I have been struggling with this for longer then I thought.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pre log and plan an afternoon snack into your day.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in addition to pre-logging and giving yourself the snack, what about making it a snack that can be eaten in multiple parts? It might work for you; I'm thinking like a bag of microwave popcorn that you eat a bit at a time over the time span from when you get home until dinner. It may not be ideal in the long term, as in, you're still snacking the entire time, but could be a good point to start from until you can get a better handle on the why. Which would be a great thing to address in counseling, if you're so inclined.
  • shawnakelsey
    shawnakelsey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. I found for me I was eating out of boredom. So now I planned one snack when I get home from work Then I feel that time with something else. Rather it's doing housework going and working out our hanging out with my kids. Anything to keep my mind busy and off food.