To hire a personal trainer or not?

Options
DOAK07
DOAK07 Posts: 6 Member
Hi Guys! Just wanted to get some feedback on how this has worked for some you. My goals are to loose fat and tone up and at some point build muscle. question would be is this something I can do on my own or do I need to hire a professional? What are takes on this? What are you suggestions?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What is you're experience with exercise? Do you feel you're knowledgeable on form and execution?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DOAK07
    Options
    I have dropped about 40Ibs mostly with doing cardio. And would do strength training videos at home. But I guess I would like to see more results .
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer to help me maintain my lean muscle and strengthen what I did have while I was losing a considerable amount of weight. I was already faithful to do my cardio, but much less likely to *choose* to do weights without accountability. I am positive I worked out far more, and better, than I would have on my own, and I'm very happy with the results. It was very expensive, though, and I've dropped back to once per week (was twice). Things are moving along much more slowly now, and I have to be much more disciplined to get into the gym to work on my own. Anyway, yes, I'd say that if you need a push, or advice on how to make the most of your workouts, and you have the extra cash--it is *well* worth the investment if you can find someone who works well with you. (I've had three trainers--two have been fabulous and one not a good fit, so I changed.)
  • DOAK07
    Options
    Yeah they are pretty expensive. That helped! Thanks a lot your response :)
  • girlonfire10
    girlonfire10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had two experiences with trainers, one good one not so good. The first time I walked into a gym because of a promotion that was running and was assigned to work with someone. After an hour, every part of my body hurt except my ears and pinky toes. I told the trainer before hand I had NO previous exercise experience (including walking in the evenings), he obviously didn't listen because he gave me exerces that were far beyond my capabilities. I felt like he gave me a workout that he would do, not that was best for me. It took my body over a week to recover. I never went back to him or that gym. In fact, it took me six years to try exercising again. This time before hiring a trainer I did my research, I asked for referrals, I checked their credentials, and I interviewed them before starting to make sure we were on the same page as far as goals were concerned. The results...complete success! I have been with my trainer now for 6 months. I have muscles where I never thought I would ever have muscle. He never babies me, but he is always encouraging. I am sore after a workout, but a good sore that my body easily recovers from. As a result, I am now training for a 1/2 marathon, something I NEVER thought possible. I could not have done this on my own. I have tried exercising by myself several times only to give up, now I have some accountability. Yes, it is expensive...but it is the best money I've ever spent. Good luck, it is a tough decision, one only you can make.