Run tracking apps?

Options
What are good apps to use to track while you run? For iPhone. I've used a few but looking for one that will tell me when I've hit a mile or distance and what my pace is so I don't have to keep checking my phone

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Map my run is great for that! You can set it to vocally tell you when you have hit 1/2, 1, or more distances. It also tells you pace. I have not used any other but this one is simple and I love having the maps of all my runs/hikes etc saved.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most of the major apps have that feature.

I always used Mapmyrun with my iphone. It has that feature.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mapmyrun was my go to for ages. Definitely recommend. If you have your earbuds in it will announce your pace at each mile mark.
  • JScottBldrs
    JScottBldrs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    +1 for MapMyRun
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd recommend Endomondo, Runkeeper or Strava.

I'd specifically avoid MapMyRun and Runtastic

ISmoothRun and Pacer are also options.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options

So what is better/different about the top three you listed? I have never used anything different and hate to waste time trying something new if I may end up not liking its features anyway.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

So what is better/different about the top three you listed? I have never used anything different and hate to waste time trying something new if I may end up not liking its features anyway.

Runtastic Free is always pushing the upsell, and it's quite expensive in comparison to the others.

I found MapMyRun to be very unstable and frequently failed or failed to upload so I lost a lot of runs using it.

Endomondo has some good analytics, so using the data for training is much more reasonable. I'd also note that the dynamic training plans in the subscription version are good.

Strava has some good competition opportunities against other runners, the social aspect is pretty solid.

Runkeeper I've just found solidly reliable over the 6 years or so I've used it.

Nowadays I upload from my Garmin and share to all three of those so that I have backup of my training history.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Why avoid map my run? Any specific reason?
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    Interesting, thanks!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited February 2016
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »

Why avoid map my run? Any specific reason?

I've found it very unreliable on both iPhone and Android, either failing mid season or losing the record during an attempt to synch.

That said, others are happy with it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I tried many different running apps when I started running and what I finally settled on was a used Garmin Forerunner 305 which I found on craigslist for just $40. It even included a heart rate monitor.

Having a dedicated gps watch is so much nicer than having to use my phone.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've tried several, and Nike Running is my favorite. You can set it to give you audible updates at time or mile intervals, and it will tell you time, distance and average pace. You can set your run for a certain distance, set up challenges with friends, they have in app milestones and trophies which for me are surprisingly motivational.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. You can set it to announce your time, distance, speed, pace, or any combination thereof. They have a paid "premium" upgrade, but I've never found it necessary - the free version works fine for my needs.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Runkeeper. You can set it to announce your time, distance, speed, pace, or any combination thereof. They have a paid "premium" upgrade, but I've never found it necessary - the free version works fine for my needs.
    I got this app and have been looking at training programs, does the voice tell you when to switch between fast and slow during interval runs?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I got this app and have been looking at training programs, does the voice tell you when to switch between fast and slow during interval runs?

I know it used to be able to do that (a couple years or so ago), but now it may be part of the "premium" upgrade because I don't see it available anywhere. As much as I like the app, I do think they've butchered the UI as they've gone along.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any apps that give more pace input greater than 1/2 mile intervals, or any app that is stand alone and helps with pace? I know the visual input is there on several apps, but my pace control always sucked, and that leads me away from my best steady state pace.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I just looked at Endomondo on Android and it'll allow you to set down to 50 metre intervals. Can't say I'm all that convinced by the accuracy of a phone GPS at that distance but it'w worth a try.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper, or your tracker device's integration site.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,456 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is rubbish in that their data recording is really rubbish. It seems to cut many corner, plus their height data is usually off by a factor of 5.

There certainly are better apps. I use ismoothrun. Yes, it costs but it does all you're asking for and then some, and it's fully customizable, including the screen you can look at and it exports to a huge number of websites.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I tried a few different ones and i like runkeeper the best. it seems to be the most user friendly to me