Insanity...im scared!

Options
HI EVERYONE!!!

I plan on starting insanity monday night... HAPPY CANADA DAY!

but I keep on hearing horrible stories on people giving up!!! I want......I NEED to lose 30 pounds, from workouts because I have modified my diet as much as possible and its awsome! Ive lost 30 pounds with diet and I want to get fit now!!

Any warnings or suggestions on how to get through this?

Replies

• jandjcassidy
    jandjcassidy Posts: 143
    Options
    Hey me too!! Can I ask if you are working with a coach??
  • mhoeff1
    mhoeff1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to do it too however I have heard people that have done it have really screwed up their musscles joints maybe I will try this after I have become a little more fit from other cardio
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I did it my first time at 285 lbs. And I have dislocated my left knee 4 times in the past.

Take it slow, do what you can, modify the moves if you need to. Take as many breaks as you need, and listen to your body. Don't be afraid to take extra rest days. I never do insanity two days in a row anymore.

Your body will adapt. Quickly. Fear is not necessary!
  • ryans5050
    ryans5050 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can tell you, I finished it three weeks ago now. Full 60 days. I absolutely loved it. I started P90X after and I just finished Week One of that.

I couldn't recommend Insanity enough. Just think about it one day at a time. Don't think about the whole thing or how hard it is. Just press play and keep at it.

Feel free to FR if you want someone who will keep you motivated and push you along.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My best advice for insanity:

Take your time, and don't be afraid to take a break, even if Shaun T isn't.

Like mhoeff1 said, some people seriously injure themselves doing workout DVDs because they push themselves too hard. If you're not used to doing crazy workouts like insanity, take it easy to begin with and only do the full deal when you're better prepared for it. They tell you to consult your doctor for a reason.

Also, for more assistance with Insanity, I highly recommend teambeachbody.com... Everybody there is knowledgeable about the programs offered by beachbody, and you can get assistance on all kinds of things - shoe and bra recommendations are two that I've gotten help with from them.

KPP! [Keep Pressing Play]
  • SpinCyn
    SpinCyn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did it my first time at 285 lbs. And I have dislocated my left knee 4 times in the past.

Take it slow, do what you can, modify the moves if you need to. Take as many breaks as you need, and listen to your body. Don't be afraid to take extra rest days. I never do insanity two days in a row anymore.

Your body will adapt. Quickly. Fear is not necessary!

THANKS!!! WILL DO!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am going on my 4th week tomorrow and while I have not lost any weight yet my body has change so much. I look like I have lose 20lbs. I feel great and my body is already much firmer. My clothes are getting big, my face has thinned out a lot and I haven't even finished a month yet! The program is very hard but I think I am getting addicted to it. lol My goal was to lose 20lbs and I am not sure if that will happen since I am gaining a lot of muscle, but either way I am so please with the results that I am getting so far. There is a lot of jumping and that can be hard on your knees and ankles so make sure your stay with the form of the exercises to prevent injury. Go at you own pace and breathe! You will have fun! If you would like we can be fitness friends if you would like.
  • SpinCyn
    Options
    I can tell you, I finished it three weeks ago now. Full 60 days. I absolutely loved it. I started P90X after and I just finished Week One of that.

I couldn't recommend Insanity enough. Just think about it one day at a time. Don't think about the whole thing or how hard it is. Just press play and keep at it.

Feel free to FR if you want someone who will keep you motivated and push you along.

THATS AMAZING!!!!! THANKS!!! and congrats eh!!!!
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    Options
    Enjoy this:

http://thinklikemaxwell.blogspot.ca/2012/02/things-i-hate-about-insanity-workout.html

You will appreciate it after you're a few weeks in ;)
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would be scared too! I did insanity for a week and I am in ok shape.
    My knees YELLED at me for weeks after. Needless to say, that program got shelved. I am goin to need these knees!
  • Clawson528
    Options
    Make sure you stretch.. I have one week of insanity left.. and i feel great.. My calves burned the first few days but I love this workout.. Go at your own pace.. I have dropped 11 lbs with it but I am so much stronger. FR if you want
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    Options
    I'll tell you the only time my knees hurt on insanity.

I was down to 277ish. It was the end of the month 2 workouts, and I went away on a business trip. I'd been hitting it hard for 50ish days, because I wanted that t shirt bad enough that I could taste it. But it wasn't practical to workout in a hotel room. I did try, but there was too much jumping, etc, which is noisy, and there wasn't enough room. So I was off for 2 weeks.

But dammit, I wanted that shirt! Which meant I had the 60 day deadline...and here I was 2 weeks behind.

So I did doubles. I skipped the balance workouts and did 2 month 2 workouts every day. I did meet the 60 day deadline...but my knees ached for probably 2 weeks after.

And that's with my sheer size and my history of knee problems. For most everyone else: you should be fine. That's why now that I have the shirt I never do it two days in a row. And my knees don't ache at all, including with all the other stuff I do with them.

If you are flexible about the 60 days, the every other day system is pretty easy to live with. Good luck!
  • SpinCyn
    Options
    I'll tell you the only time my knees hurt on insanity.

I was down to 277ish. It was the end of the month 2 workouts, and I went away on a business trip. I'd been hitting it hard for 50ish days, because I wanted that t shirt bad enough that I could taste it. But it wasn't practical to workout in a hotel room. I did try, but there was too much jumping, etc, which is noisy, and there wasn't enough room. So I was off for 2 weeks.

But dammit, I wanted that shirt! Which meant I had the 60 day deadline...and here I was 2 weeks behind.

So I did doubles. I skipped the balance workouts and did 2 month 2 workouts every day. I did meet the 60 day deadline...but my knees ached for probably 2 weeks after.

And that's with my sheer size and my history of knee problems. For most everyone else: you should be fine. That's why now that I have the shirt I never do it two days in a row. And my knees don't ache at all, including with all the other stuff I do with them.

If you are flexible about the 60 days, the every other day system is pretty easy to live with. Good luck!

Thats incredible!!!! Congrats on getting that tshirt!!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a month in right now, and I haven't had any issues with joint problems thus far. The key is good form. On a program like Insanity (or Crossfit, for that matter) there can be perceived pressure to keep pushing past the point of safety. Poeple see the instructors in the video not taking a break, and so they push themselves to keep going and in doing so, compromise form for reps. This is a mistake. Form is what keeps you safe. Listen to your body. If you get an ache somewhere beyond normal muscle soreness, make adjustments in what you're doing. I started getting ankle pain about two weeks in, always during the warm up. I stopped and thought about what I was doing, and realized that I was landing on my toes rather the coming all the way to the floor. I changed my posture to lean forward slightly, allowing me to put my full foot on the floor, and the pain went away an hasn't come back. If your knees start to hurt, check your squat position. Don't just keep pushing, figure out what you're doing wrong and fix it. As long as you do that, you should be safe.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    Does anyone have any info on the P90? I think it is for beginners like me its a precursor to P90X.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Doing my second round. My first round was when I was 4 months post partum..I had my second c section with my third child when I first did it. Finished it and I loved it.

Take breaks and make sure you have good form. I'm not saying it's going to be easy,not in the least,you get out of it what you put in. It's an amazing program and the benefits I see. I can walk for longer,run with my kids and my over all endurance is so much better.

Don't be scared! Make sure you have some decent shoes,follow the nutrition guide and do your best.

Good luck!! Add me if you like. Always good to have another insanity buddy :)
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    Options
    Does anyone have any info on the P90? I think it is for beginners like me its a precursor to P90X.

That's precisely what it is. It came first and it's much easier.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    So P90 is where we should start?

I want to do Insanity eventually but I'm starting from 0 endurance right now, so is that what you guys recommend to work up to it? I'm a former basketball player and fairly healthy (though really fat now). I get bored with those easy 1, 2, step, clap" type things, which is why Insanity seems exciting, but it also seems like an injury waiting to happen for me since I know I won't be able to keep the form-- or very unmotivating when I find myself unable to even remotely participate.

What would you guys recommend as a precursor?
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Firstly, WOO! Happy Canada Day! :)

Secondly, I'm in my recovery week right now, and almost heading into month two... and scared about that! I wasn't totally scared beginning Insanity, since some of my friends and I dabbled with it a couple years ago, although not consistently. My last week of month one, my endurance had definitely improved, I was barely resting and enjoying it more.

Yes. It is a butt kick and you do sweat. Yes. I have a love/hate relationship with Shaun T., but at the end of every workout, I love how I feel! The best part is that you can rest when you need to, and even moderate a specific exercise to suit your specific abilities.

I will see how month two goes, but I would definitely do another round of month one afterwards!
  • cmcoyle776
    cmcoyle776 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks away from finishing my first round. I've been doing it 5 days a week, so it'll take me a little more than the 60 days to complete, but I am injury free & sticking with it at this pace, so that's what matters. It's the hardest workout I've ever done in my life...and I've run 1 full and 5 half marathons! The first week is the hardest, but keep pushing through (at YOUR pace...not Shaun T's) & you will be amazed at how strong your body gets! The hard work is so worth it!!! I haven't regretted a single minute of it & am planning to jump right into round 2 when I finish this first one. :)