Hot bod at 40?? Is it possible?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    For a woman, yes. Look at rhondalynn, middlehaitch, and SherryTeach.
    But, for a guy?
    I used to play soccer in an adult league. Eventually, I graduated (was pushed, really) to the Over-40 league.
    Now, these guys were in really good shape. See, the average, young soccer player probably runs between 4-7 miles per game. So, let's say that, even if they are a little bit lazy, which we probably were, we ran between 3-6 miles a game. That's not jogging. That is sprinting, at least part of the time. You cannot do that unless you are in really good shape.
    Still, when you looked at those guys from the sidelines, in their uniforms and shorts, they looked like Andy Capp characters. Little bellies, skinny legs and no butt. It is just what happens to an old guy, probably because of the drop in testosterone. I don't know. Yes, if you saw them in their suits, during the work week, you would definitely think they looked good and in great condition. But, take away the cut of the suit.........Nah....not so much.
    Maybe more women work harder. Maybe their shape is not so determined by hormones whose levels drop. Couldn't tell you. But I can tell you that a guy over 40 years who is in shape will not look like a young guy.

@tufel

Football <> progressive resistance

Cardio fitness <> body composition

Tell them to hit the gym and the weights and watch your calorie intake
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    For a woman, yes. Look at rhondalynn, middlehaitch, and SherryTeach.
    But, for a guy?
    I used to play soccer in an adult league. Eventually, I graduated (was pushed, really) to the Over-40 league.
    Now, these guys were in really good shape. See, the average, young soccer player probably runs between 4-7 miles per game. So, let's say that, even if they are a little bit lazy, which we probably were, we ran between 3-6 miles a game. That's not jogging. That is sprinting, at least part of the time. You cannot do that unless you are in really good shape.
    Still, when you looked at those guys from the sidelines, in their uniforms and shorts, they looked like Andy Capp characters. Little bellies, skinny legs and no butt. It is just what happens to an old guy, probably because of the drop in testosterone. I don't know. Yes, if you saw them in their suits, during the work week, you would definitely think they looked good and in great condition. But, take away the cut of the suit.........Nah....not so much.
    Maybe more women work harder. Maybe their shape is not so determined by hormones whose levels drop. Couldn't tell you. But I can tell you that a guy over 40 years who is in shape will not look like a young guy.

Sounds like a lack of muscle, which is the same that will happen with a woman. Yes, your soccer friends were in good cardiovascular shape, but muscle mass is (purely my opinion) part of the overall fitness puzzle and approves appearances as well. (And here I admit that I feel squicky talking about this because it feels very "hot or not?" to me.)
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    56 here, I can outrun, outride, do more pushups, more planks etc. better and faster than my teenagers. Lift and stay at it. Nothing makes a woman hotter than her confidence and ablility to believe that age is just a number.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and have a pretty hot bod according to me and my mirror (and my husband) :smile:

I didn't drop a ton of weight. However, about 10 years ago I got quite thin trying to get my dream body and no matter how much weight I dropped, I didn't think I looked good. I had about the flattest *kitten* going. Once I started lifting I got the body I wanted. Things filled out where I wanted them to.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible!
    I love weights too, when I add more cardio 4-5 times a week, I get the best results!
    You can do it!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've seen people in their late 60's that look better than some people in their late 30's. Like Bbg340 said, the difference is when we get older, we have to work harder at it. I won't post a picture, but I look better now at 46 than when I was 36.
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, 5'2", 116 lbs. Maybe not hot but over the past year I've lost 10 lbs, dropped bf% by 14%, lost 2+ pant sizes and gained over 18 lbs of muscle mass. I've got visible muscles, feel great, eating more than I ever have in my life (about 2200 cals a day) and loving this journey! Still have areas to improve but yes, you can be hot at any age. Just remember it's a lifestyle change and journey. Don't go for fast results; go for long term results and you will get there! Good luck!
    (Btw, I believe strength training is essential )
  • Running_lifting
    Running_lifting Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can! Like others have said, lifting weights will shape your body by building muscle. But more importantly, you'll feel better:)
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it's a thing!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No I haven't seen her. As in the singer??

I am on a mission to have the best body I have ever had. I am in love with weights and I can't wait to see the results. Hopefully one day I will be inspiring people.

this is really want you want... the best body you can get- for the goals you need.

I'd do away with "dream body" and more focus on- improving what you have and continuing to improve it.

There is no age limit for that. at all.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    44 going on 24 because of training.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and working on it. Anything is possible feel free to add me as a friend.
  • JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love seeing +40 peeps get in shape. I still don't have my dream physique (and I am not a woman...YET!!!).
    I started the fitness thing at 42. Turn 46 in 2 weeks.

Before & After
    f2ce0yp3lxil.jpg
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Well done @JeffFit70 !
  • JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Well done @JeffFit70 !

Thanks, Sumiblue and back at ya! :)