Sore knees

Options
Doing Insanity and c25k... today I started getting sore knees, (trying to land soft font think doing it very well tho') walking up the stairs knee cap seems to be rubbing.
Any tips? As I really enjoy insanity and running.

Replies

• kaysie67
    kaysie67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful to make sure that I am stretching my hamstrings and quads otherwise muscles get out of sync and start playing havoc on my knees. Hopefully it will be as simple as that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're doing too-much-too-soon?

Maybe you need better running shoes?
  • Amby6912
    Amby6912 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The only way I got rid of my knee pain from high impact exercise was a foam roller. Absolutely nothing else helped. I had pain so bad I almost took left over narcotic pain killers leftover from my surgery in November. Stairs were excruciating, especially carrying a toddler. And since the only way to get to our car is to go down a set of stairs it made having to go on any errands or take trash out or even get the mail a horrible task. It hurt like heck the first time I used it, like deep tissue massage on too tight and knotted muscles. But then the next day... zero pain! It was suggested to me by someone here on MFP and it's the best 15 bucks I've ever spent.
  • fraserkr
    fraserkr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    osteoarthritis? have you consulted a health professional? I take a supplement for joints & bones. You can find all kinds of suggestions - supplement for joints and bones - Google Search http://bit.ly/1nRtosk
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for shoes and try this routine: Myrtl
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's o.k. to do other exercises. You might like weight lifting.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    fraserkr wrote: »
    osteoarthritis? have you consulted a health professional? I take a supplement for joints & bones. You can find all kinds of suggestions - supplement for joints and bones - Google Search http://bit.ly/1nRtosk

I have osteoarthritis in my knees as of age 34 so I will have to check out that link. I want to run but it does bother my knees. I was told by the PT to wait on running until I build more muscle strength. I also have tennis elbow which makes things hard. So which supplements do you take?
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus in one of my knees, so those workouts used to be tricky for me too. The way I built up to them was doing them every other day, stretching a LOT, and foam rolling. I've also done a lot of stability work on my knees that has zero or minimal impact. Try tapering back the Insanity (plyometric moves) and work your way into it and incorporating other strengthening work to build up your knees.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    fraserkr wrote: »

I have osteoarthritis in my knees as of age 34 so I will have to check out that link. I want to run but it does bother my knees. I was told by the PT to wait on running until I build more muscle strength. I also have tennis elbow which makes things hard. So which supplements do you take?

I'm not that poster, but for my bone-on-bone knee pain and occasional arthritis in my thumb, I swear by something called Celadrin! I only take it as needed, and I haven't read about it for long-term use, so no promises there. My dad thinks it's excellent, too. Study results were why I ordered it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help (my) ligaments or tendons. I'm looking into Cissus for that. Still researching that herb for safety, etc. Fingers crossed there.

OP, I have bad knees, but it's because my kneecaps are very hypermobile, causing too much wear over the years. Don't keep doing an activity that makes yours act up, and try strengthening exercises for knees, imho. See a doctor if it continues to be a problem, though. Knees can get any number of things wrong with them.