I'm so frustrated and disappointed!

Options
2»

Replies

• holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It actually is very true that your body holds onto fat cells when you eat too little calories and low macros but it doesn't hold onto these cells forever. Hence how ppl can starve to death. Just FYI most ppl who die during a famine or as someone else suggested concentration camps died over a longer period of time and they did eat, very little bits of food but they did eat; reason why they were skin and bones is they starved over a period of time. But getting back to the point, OP if that is all you are eating in one day you are eating WAY to little. You should be eating up to your BMR. Try eating that much every day for a couple weeks, and make sure you are accurate. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try. Also cut out the margarine, it is horrible for you. You probably need to up your protein too. Don't give up yet, you can do this. Give this a try for two weeks and see if you see a change. I wish you luck!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    when you eat too little your metabolism slows. Working out wont have as much of an impact as you would like or as it should. You WILL still drop weight, but you will have to work harder to get there. (not really by that much though.. )

Take a look at your weekly intake of food. Eat right and not too little or else you can't workout as strong. Eat real food and proteins. Eat a good variety of food. Take this time to look at new foods you may not have tried before. Make it fun. Make eating fun, make working out fun.

The scale is horrible also sometimes.
    You said you saw some changes in your body, but not from the scale. I wouldn't fret much. You are gaining muscle which will help you burn fat. yay muscles!

Just don't eat too little. It took time to gain the weight, it takes even longer to drop it. boo.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    acidosaur wrote: »
    sndrd49 wrote: »
    kvhsmudge wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Are you sure you are in a deficit?

Yes, I'm sure. For example today's diet consisted of 1 apple, 2 pieces of wheat toast with margarine, and a salad.I doubt I'll eat anything else today. Plus, I did my usual 45 minute workout. :(

That can't be enough calories, especially on workout days. Your body will hold on to every calorie it can if your calories are too low. The hardest part for me has been accepting that I need to eat fat.....goes against everything I thought I knew about weight loss, but this is simple science and it works. Could you try eating all your calories for one week and see if that makes a difference?

This is false. Your body cannot "hold onto calories" if it is in a deficit. Otherwise no one would die during a famine.

It is not false. When you deprive yourself of essential nutrition, and only eating 3 to 400 calories a day is significant deprivation, your body will hold on to calories by lowering metabolism. Of course people can die of starvation in extreme cases, rather a ridiculous statement in the context of this discussion don't you think?

majigurl wrote: »
    when you eat too little your metabolism slows. Working out wont have as much of an impact as you would like or as it should. You WILL still drop weight, but you will have to work harder to get there. (not really by that much though.. )

Take a look at your weekly intake of food. Eat right and not too little or else you can't workout as strong. Eat real food and proteins. Eat a good variety of food. Take this time to look at new foods you may not have tried before. Make it fun. Make eating fun, make working out fun.

The scale is horrible also sometimes.
    You said you saw some changes in your body, but not from the scale. I wouldn't fret much. You are gaining muscle which will help you burn fat. yay muscles!

Just don't eat too little. It took time to gain the weight, it takes even longer to drop it. boo.

You both need to read up more on the Minnesota Starvation Experiment.

Your metabolism does not 'slow' to any point where it would make much of a difference. Yes they temporarily saw someone with a BMR of say 1500 temporarily have a BMR of 1450 or something before the refeed. This is not enough to explain your 'eat more or you'll starve' nonsense. Also these were grown men on a very low calorie diet.
    kvhsmudge wrote: »
    I have been working out for 3 months. I'm always under my suggested calorie intake. My diet consists of yogurt, salads, fruit, tuna fish, etc. My body is firming up but I have not lost anything! I'm about to look into using Garinia Cambogia or weight loss pills. I'm sick of being fat! To look at me you'd think I sit and cram my face with potato chips and cheeseburgers but nothing could be further from the truth! I eat less than most thin people I know. What should I do?

Nothing wrong with potato chips and cheeseburgers. I still eat them and lose weight. I think you are focusing too much on 'eating clean' on not on accurately logging what you are eating. If you aren't using cups/measuring spoons for ALL your liquid and a food scale for ALL your solids, you have no idea how much you are eating.

Step 1 you need to tighten up your food logging. There are a couple of good BBC documentaries on women who thought they had slow metabolisms or thought they were eating a lot less than their thin friend who could 'eat anything'. Turns out they were eating way more than they thought and their thin friend wasn't really eating everything.