Any advice to a bigger woman to lose lbs.

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I hear what people are saying here about 1200 being too low, and also suspect that you could lose at a fairly good rate (couple pounds a week) at higher net calories. But I also see that you wrote
    He <i.e., doctor> put me on a 1200 cal a day diet.

In my mind, this makes it a medically-directed diet, especially if it included a specific eating plan. To me, that makes it more arguable that you should stick with that, at least long enough to see if it's workable for you.

However, if there is not an eating plan, and I'm reading too much "doctor directed" into the scenario, or if you do find you have difficulty sustaining 1200, then you might want to run your numbers in MFP & see what you get, and consider a different approach.

I can't give you diabetes-related info (I'm not diabetic), but did find that my lipid profile (cholesterol & such) and blood pressure improved, even before losing weight, when I improved the composition of my diet (more fruits & veg, fewer non-nutrition-dense but high-calorie foods, good protein & whole grains, healthy fats replacing less healthy ones - all that mainstream high-nutrition-eating stuff).

Medically directed should include medical monitoring not come back in 3 months

So no this sounds more like a less than thought out knee jerk based on minimum calories for nutritional requirements for an average woman

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1200 to start? What will you do if you stop losing? Exercising more? That is awfully low. Best wishes.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    But my doctor started me at 1200, too, but did explain that as my weight decreased and my fitness level increased, I would need to raise that and has been great about me calling him and asking about my intake.

Since you're diabetic, if you have questions about the plan the doctor put you on, you should check with him before making any changes.
    Also, I couldn't just start eating 1200. I had to start at my 1900+ that I was gobbling before, and drop it down by 100 calories per week, until I was at 1200. Doing it gradually while tracking what I was eating made it easy to see where I could dump things like my afternoon cookie and replace it with an apple. Won't say it was easy, but you can do it!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I started out on my own on 1500 a day at just a little lighter than your start weight only to find I should have been eating almost 2000 a day for a 2lbs a week loss - no wonder I'd been struggling with it and feeling weak and hungry after exercise. I ate what MFP told me, plus I ate back all of my exercise and my loss rate actually increase! You're going to be doing this for a long time. I'd very much recommend a more sustainable deficit which will allow your metabolism to stay high and healthy along the way, but you'd be best discussing this with your doctor of course. I'm 132lbs down at the moment. MFP really does work if you've set your mind to it!
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So many of us have tried the 1200 calorie lifestyle and for some it works and for others it does not! In my case it did not but I am not afraid of trying new things and this is what you should not be afraid of also. It's not going to kill you to try 1200 cals but know that as you loose per MFP standards your cals usually go down and at some point you may have to adjust calories and that is where I find (I find) people that eat at 1200 cals for too long struggle. Some feel they will gain if they up cals and the more you exercise the more you need to fuel your body. Please just keep in mind that all things are possible but being flexible in your approach is always necessary. Congrats on your journey thus far and do what works for you as long as you are being healthy in your approach. Health, calorie intake, and exercise all amount to different things for all of us! Good luck :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I know it's been awhile, but I just figured I would update. I now weigh 308 pounds. And completely off all diabetic medication.

WOOOO HOOOO!! Congrats!!!
    Thanks for updating!
  • TheePhoenix
    TheePhoenix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    congrats! if you're looking for a mfp buddy, feel free to add me. I'm semi just starting. my heaviest was 375 five years ago. 348 when I started getting more serious about losing a month ago and 339 today after a few weeks yo yoing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I know it's been awhile, but I just figured I would update. I now weigh 308 pounds. And completely off all diabetic medication.

That's great! Thanks for the update.

So, you lost 22 pounds - what daily calorie goal did you end up using? 1200 was unnecessarily low.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's great! Thanks for the update.

So, you lost 22 pounds - what daily calorie goal did you end up using? 1200 was unnecessarily low.

I agree. You're doing a great job, but I hope you're not eating only 1200kcal a day. I started at 368lbs, am now 296lbs, and I eat ~1700kcal without exercise, around 2000kcal with. There's no reason to eat miserably low at our weight, not when we have so much to lose.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Congrats on your losses!
  • AliceWatkins14
    AliceWatkins14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all