Weight training with additional weight to lose

Options
i plan to start lifting March 1st. At that point, I'll have 15 pounds to lose in about 3 months.
I was planning on doing cardio and a calorie deficit TuEs thur sat and lifting at maintenance m w f. Might this work or should I do 3 consecutive days of cardio and three consecutive of lifting? Or I suppose I can do cardio then lifting on the same day and eat a big meal afterwards and modestly the rest of the day.
Thoughts?

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesnt burn that many calories. And 3 days of lifting a week would be fine if you did like push pull legs/shoulders. During weight loss lifting should just be try to retain muscle.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Check out the beginners routines posted on this sub-forum. Most of them are 3 alternating days of progressive compound lifts. Simple and effective.

Start by concentrating on form, using light weights, hand weights are fine. Once you have form remember you are always working on lifting what is heavy for you.
    You will probably benefit most if you do your cardio and weights on different days.
    You may like working off your TDEE (link below) instead on MFP's neat method of calorie counting. That way your calories will be equally proportioned throughout the week.

Cheers, h.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    "New Rules of Lifting" has some interesting info on just your question. Check it our at your library. Don't think NROL For Women has same info.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    three consecutive of lifting?

Don't do this. With a full-body lifting routine (which is fine for everybody and especially for beginners), you wanna rest a day minimum in between. Working the same muscles back to back is counter-productive. You grow during your rest period.

People that lift day to day are doing what's called a "split", or split routine. Working different body parts on different days.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    What's the rest time needed?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Why wait until March, start now with low weights so you can get your form down. Then by March you can start increasing the weights. If you still need to lose weight continue on a deficit all seven days until you reach goal.
  • amberhilleary326
    amberhilleary326 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am starting Monday with the new rules of weight lifting for women. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for weight training and Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday I'll do the weight loss setting on my elliptical. I may or may not add 30 min elliptical on weight training days just depends on how my 8 month old daughter is that day. I want to lose 15 lbs minimum by May but would love 25lbs.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am starting core training tomorrow. I have to talk myself into weight training and get a plan in place, so I think March 1 is reasonable for me.
    Amber sounds like we have similar goals. I am going to look up the new rules for lifting now.