Need to Rant (gym etiquette)

Options
2»

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Eating in a gym is just weird. At my gym I have the problem of people using the dip bars to hang coats on or leave their phones on the steps. I don't bother asking them, I just move their stuff for them. Usually someone handling their precious stuff makes them uncomfortable, which is exactly what I'm aiming for.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Kind of, I really hate it when I am in my CrossFit classes and people wont move for the class. They just act like we are not there and keep using the equipment. Luckly I have some bad *kitten* coaches and tell them to move. Shouldn't there be a 'no eating' policy in gyms anyways?
    I am not trying to be difficult, but I am not sure why your class should take priority for gym floor kit over individuals who have also paid their dues - unless it is well signposted that parts of the gym floor effectively become a studio at certain times.

People taking the classes pay dues as well. In any gym I know, there is always programming that affects different areas. There are classes in the pool and in the basketball gym. We use the weight training areas a couple of times a week for classes as well. At least when there is a class, there is a schedule and you know what to expect--as opposed to a gaggle of bros walking in and lounging around for 45 min while they text and stare at themselves in the mirrors.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand anything that's happening in this thread
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Knickers and knots..
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Kind of, I really hate it when I am in my CrossFit classes and people wont move for the class. They just act like we are not there and keep using the equipment. Luckly I have some bad *kitten* coaches and tell them to move. Shouldn't there be a 'no eating' policy in gyms anyways?

That would absolutely enrage me as a gym user who pays my dues you can wait ..unless there is a discount for not being allowed to use standard equipment cos of some stupid *kitten* cross fit class ..

Agreed!! I'd be wanting a bloody well sign posted warning, upfront disclosure before joining AND a discount before I was ok with having to stop using my equipment for a crossfit class.

I don't know about this...class times usually are published in advance, and its certainly not unusual to reserve part of a facility for a class at a particular time. It annoys me personally that the entire pool is closed for 2 hours a day to accommodate the aqua aerobics classes (mainly just cuz I tend to want to swim at just those times), but hey, those people paid to use the pool too.

People sitting around eating on the equipment, however, and refusing to share is whole different thing tho. I can see myself inserting my body into that space and doing whatever right on top of them.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Ha! Agreed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »
    I am not trying to be difficult, but I am not sure why your class should take priority for gym floor kit over individuals who have also paid their dues - unless it is well signposted that parts of the gym floor effectively become a studio at certain times.

People taking the classes pay dues as well. In any gym I know, there is always programming that affects different areas. There are classes in the pool and in the basketball gym. We use the weight training areas a couple of times a week for classes as well. At least when there is a class, there is a schedule and you know what to expect--as opposed to a gaggle of bros walking in and lounging around for 45 min while they text and stare at themselves in the mirrors.

Hmm, good point. Most of the classes I've seen have been in enclosed areas, though. I think with that setup and an instructor either at the front of the class or moving around talking to the participants, it's fairly clear that the room is busy and items are being used. Each participant also grabs everything they need at the start of class and sets it next to them, so it wouldn't be a weight sitting on a rack where you'd risk getting yelled at by the instructor for touching it
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I thought people did Crossfit at the Crossfit gym and that it was all classes. I didn't realize that you could just go there to work out on your own.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I thought people did Crossfit at the Crossfit gym and that it was all classes. I didn't realize that you could just go there to work out on your own.

I think they're talking about running a crossfit class in a standard gym rather than a crossfit gym (isnt that called a box :))