5 miles in 50 minutes!

Yeah I did it! I have been following Hal Higdons half marathon training program for 3 weeks. I have never ran that far in my life. Feels great, I had been worried I wouldn't be able to maintain my 10 min mile but I just cranked the music and went with it.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Really cool!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Good job
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Fantastic job!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    With running, I think once you find your right "headspace" many people can do a lot more miles at a decent pace than they realize. Once you get adapted to the actual physical part, it's often just a matter of not letting your mind or overthinking the run stop you from doing it.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »
    With running, I think once you find your right "headspace" many people can do a lot more miles at a decent pace than they realize. Once you get adapted to the actual physical part, it's often just a matter of not letting your mind or overthinking the run stop you from doing it.

So true. I just ran 6 on Friday (worked up to for and then 5 in a matter of a month) and I've realized that once you get past 4 miles it's all gravy.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Thanks guys, woke up this morning feeling good, my hip flexers are stiff but feeling accomplished none the less.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Well done!

With consistency and the right attitude it's amazing what we can accomplish!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

+1 on this.

You may feel like there's a "wall" you can't get past, but just find some good music & stick with the program. I followed Hal's training program for my first half last year and it was AWESOME.

Way to go!!!

~Lyssa
  • jeepinshawn
    macgurlnet wrote: »

+1 on this.

You may feel like there's a "wall" you can't get past, but just find some good music & stick with the program. I followed Hal's training program for my first half last year and it was AWESOME.

Way to go!!!

~Lyssa

@macgurlnet I was a little concerned that the program never actually has you run 13 miles, was the jump from 10 in training to 13 in the race difficult?
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Really well done, great feeling :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Be careful. Trying to maintain a certain pace while training is a recipe for injury. Your long runs should be slower than any other run during the week.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    macgurlnet wrote: »

+1 on this.

Way to go!!!

~Lyssa

@macgurlnet I was a little concerned that the program never actually has you run 13 miles, was the jump from 10 in training to 13 in the race difficult?

I actually went from just over 9 miles to the 13.1. No issues whatsoever.

@dewd2 makes a good point. You may find you need to go slower for your long runs. Listen to your body and take it down a notch for the longer ones if you find they feel difficult.

For me, I kept with a 10 minute mile for the majority of my training. I only ended up doing my long run and one short run each week, sometimes 2, but all of them were 10 minute mile pace.

~Lyssa
  • jeepinshawn
    Thanks everyone!