Idk what to eat..

Options
2»

Replies

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    And you didn't have to change anything in the ingredients..??You ate it how ir came??
    I have eaten mac and cheese, pizza, cake, cookies, candy, steak, rolls, bread. All of it on a pretty consistent basis and lost 34 lbs. You weigh it you log it. If it fits you eat can eat. Of course if you have medical issues where you have to watch certain nutrition keep that in mind.

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    I will try this! Thank you so much!
    Is there anything else you can put with it besides one of those two (cucumbers or mushrooms?) I don't like either..
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Egg or two and two strips of bacon for breakfast with sliced cucumbers or grilled mushrooms.
    Ideas for lunches with calories listed.
    http://greatist.com/health/35-quick-and-healthy-low-calorie-lunches

This is why I rarely link recipes. Just eat whatever the hell you want! Think food groups. Foods usually have more than one nutrient, so what constitutes a food group is not written in stone; it will vary depending on who you ask, but roughly, you can split foods into these groups: Vegetables - fruit/berries - grains/potatoes - nuts/seeds - meat/fish/seafood/beans/eggs - dairy - fat/oils. Have some food from every group every day, and aim to get a variety of each group through the week. To build up a meal, pick and choose from the different groups. Start with things you know you like. Then try to widen your horizon. Try a new food every week.

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    It really just depends on what's in the soup??
    Do you like soup? During winter, I make a big pot of soup and eat it all week for lunch. That's a great way to get protein and veggies and still keep it lower calorie. Most soups that I make have 300 calories or less per serving. I made an italian turkey soup for the last two weeks because I LOVE it. Find some recipes and cook! I eat salad with chicken several days a week, but it's because I really enjoy salad. Plus Kroger has a great salad bar and it's cheap. But if I didn't enjoy salad, I would eat something else.

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    That's much better!!
    Is there anything else you can put with it besides one of those two (cucumbers or mushrooms?) I don't like either..
    Egg or two and two strips of bacon for breakfast with sliced cucumbers or grilled mushrooms.
    Ideas for lunches with calories listed.
    http://greatist.com/health/35-quick-and-healthy-low-calorie-lunches

One apple or pear or berries.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    And you didn't have to change anything in the ingredients..??You ate it how ir came??
    I have eaten mac and cheese, pizza, cake, cookies, candy, steak, rolls, bread. All of it on a pretty consistent basis and lost 34 lbs. You weigh it you log it. If it fits you eat can eat. Of course if you have medical issues where you have to watch certain nutrition keep that in mind.

Not really! We started our mac and cheese with different cheese but, that was mostly for taste. I eat smaller portions than I use to or I find a way to make it work. If you love it there is no reason to stop eating it. I do eat more fruits and veggies but, I will always make room for foods I love.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Food does not have to be bland. If you don't know how to use spices then it's time to learn, because they can make a world of difference. For meats and vegetables: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~aibrantl/cookingwithherbs.html. Once you learn the flavors you can experiment. I just did cauliflower rice with cumin and chives with a dash of salt...delicious
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You definitely need VARIETY in order to stay on the plan. Also the more you get out and walk or exercise, the more food you can "afford" to eat. Good luck and keep logging!

Here's what works for me...

Rule 1 - I plan ahead and log everything.
    Rule 2 - Never exceed my daily calorie goals, I eat ANYTHING, but in much smaller portions than I used to.
    Rule 3 - Since I'm a Type II diabetic, I never exceed 55 grams of carbs in a meal or snack.

Here's today's food diary based on those rules:

Breakfast
    Fage - Yogurt- Greek 0%, 1 cup
    Blueberries, 1 cup
    Quaker - Original Instant Oats, 1 packet
    Drinks - Coffee With Whole Milk, 250 ml

Lunch
    Wasa - Whole Grain Crisp Bread, 4 slice
    Generic - Lemon Juice, Fresh, 20 ml
    Cream Cheese - Whipped - Breakstone's Temptee, 2 Tbsp (23g)
    Acme - Smoked Salmon, 4 oz
    Drinks - Coffee With Whole Milk, 250 ml

Dinner
    Earthbound Farm - Organic Half and Half Salad Mix, 2 cups
    Generic - Homemade Vinaigrette Dressing, 0.5 tbs
    Jack's Chicken Braise, 1 serving(s)

Snacks
    Apple Fresh - Granny Smith Apple, 1 medium (154g)

My total numbers for today:

Calories 1,606
    Carbs 144g
    Fat 60g
    Protein 121g
    Cholest 299mg
    Sodium 2,457mg (high from the salmon!)
    Sugars 52g
    Fiber 27g
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Check mfp blog-lots of cool recipes
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You are going to hear it here all the time, the only thing that matters is eating less calories than you are burning. CICO (Calories in less than Calories Out) The reason some people preach about whole foods and salads and such is they tend to have less calories and you can eat more bulk of food than processed food and you may feel fuller.
    My advice would be to find what works for you.
    A huge help for me has been pre-logging my food. It not only keeps me honest, but I know when my next food is coming and I tend to eat a few times a day. I have a lot of snacks... or my lunch or dinner may actually be eaten twice. I have a pack of fun size candy bars in the trunk of my car, I eat one or two a week and I pre-log them so I know they are coming. Come summer they will have to go in the freezer, but I live in Wisconsin and it is frozen right now and works. I don't deprive myself, I just make treats really small and I anticipate them and plan ahead.
    These are all actually relatively new things to me, but I would say things have just clicked for me finally. I want to do this for me. It doesn't feel like I am depriving myself, it feels like I am setting some rules that allows myself to thrive. Rules don't have to be a bad thing.
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for he advice!
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think for people starting out it can be very daunting trying to figure out "how to eat". As everyone said you can eat "anything" and still lose weight. Which is true, but if you're like me (and most people) where you're used to eating waaaaaay larger portions of the "bad" (high calorie) foods, it can be hard to grasp that we can eat "anything", we can, the catch is... in smaller portions. Great example is pasta; regular white pasta's small serving size (to easily fit into a lower calorie lifestyle) is about 1 cup cooked, roughly 200-250 cals, depending on the pasta. I was used to eating at least 4+ cups haha, 1 cup is a tease and would make me crave it like no other! This is why weighing/measuring food is so important, we really don't know how much we overeat until we weigh all/most foods (I'm not super strict with weighing low cal veggies, but nuts, proteins, carbs yep! cause calories get high very quick).
    My point with all this is yes you can eat "anything" but you will feel fuller longer and overall less deprived/like you're starving if you fill 1/2 of your plate with low-cal veggies (can be cooked also, you don't have to live on lettuce haha). Then do about a 1/4 plate protein (usually about a 4 oz portion), then split the last 1/4 of the plate between some healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, avocado etc(this can be what you cook with, a salad dressing, topping etc) and a small portion of healthy carbs like whole wheat pasta etc.
    Or even unhealthy carbs or fats(hello cookies!) if you want and if it fits in your daily calories. Just make sure you plan and log it.
    The way i usually look at it is, I'd rather have a larger portion of a healthier food than a tiny portion of a "bad" food for the same calories. Cause I like to eat :) Like a whole green apple with a little PB vs 1 cookie, same cals. But an apple I can eat for 20 min and be full for an hour-ish and the other is gone in 10 seconds and I want more, lots more haha
    Hope some of this helped (sorry its so long!) Just keep logging and learning, it's all a process and takes practice. Make it a fun journey! It won't be as miserable and then you can stick with it for a loooong time to come (took me a few times around at this lifestyle change for that one to finally stick).
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Thank you lol and it is soo hard because i see my siblings eating whatever they want, and my brother eats a ton of bad food but never gains anything , it's so irritating! Lol and i get what you mean, but I'm not a big vegetable fan, i hate tomatoes, avacado, onions, i can eat a few carrots till they become nasty to me.
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    I think for people starting out it can be very daunting trying to figure out "how to eat". As everyone said you can eat "anything" and still lose weight. Which is true, but if you're like me (and most people) where you're used to eating waaaaaay larger portions of the "bad" (high calorie) foods, it can be hard to grasp that we can eat "anything", we can, the catch is... in smaller portions. Great example is pasta; regular white pasta's small serving size (to easily fit into a lower calorie lifestyle) is about 1 cup cooked, roughly 200-250 cals, depending on the pasta. I was used to eating at least 4+ cups haha, 1 cup is a tease and would make me crave it like no other! This is why weighing/measuring food is so important, we really don't know how much we overeat until we weigh all/most foods (I'm not super strict with weighing low cal veggies, but nuts, proteins, carbs yep! cause calories get high very quick).
    My point with all this is yes you can eat "anything" but you will feel fuller longer and overall less deprived/like you're starving if you fill 1/2 of your plate with low-cal veggies (can be cooked also, you don't have to live on lettuce haha). Then do about a 1/4 plate protein (usually about a 4 oz portion), then split the last 1/4 of the plate between some healthy fats like nuts, olive oil, avocado etc(this can be what you cook with, a salad dressing, topping etc) and a small portion of healthy carbs like whole wheat pasta etc.
    Or even unhealthy carbs or fats(hello cookies!) if you want and if it fits in your daily calories. Just make sure you plan and log it.
    The way i usually look at it is, I'd rather have a larger portion of a healthier food than a tiny portion of a "bad" food for the same calories. Cause I like to eat :) Like a whole green apple with a little PB vs 1 cookie, same cals. But an apple I can eat for 20 min and be full for an hour-ish and the other is gone in 10 seconds and I want more, lots more haha
    Hope some of this helped (sorry its so long!) Just keep logging and learning, it's all a process and takes practice. Make it a fun journey! It won't be as miserable and then you can stick with it for a loooong time to come (took me a few times around at this lifestyle change for that one to finally stick).

• Tricia7188
    Options
    I soooo hear you on the sibling eating issue! I'm the only one of my siblings that has to watch what I eat, very annoying!
    As far as vegetables go, try to have an open mind (forget you used to hate broccoli or whatever other veg when you were younger, hard I know haha) and try a new veg every week or so, look up recipes and new ways of cooking them, it helps to change it up. Use spices! They're so useful in making vegetables tasty! I dont like spicy things so I use garlic powder, salt and pepper on most things and it does wonders. Roasting vegetables in the oven with a little oil makes most of them muuuuch yummier too. Roasted cauliflower is one that's totally different roasted than steamed! Or like bell peppers, I hate them raw but when they're cooked down til theyre soft with onions like in fajitas they're so good!
    I try to find a new recipe or 2 every week and it makes it fun, experimenting and trying things out.
    Buuuuut, if you really don't want to eat veggies, don't eat them. This is a lifestyle change and you can't/wont eat foods you hate forever. Veggies are worth the effort in trying to finds one you like though cause they keep you so full for so few calories compared to other foods.
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    What do you usually eat? I don't really know what to buy because I'm getting tired of salad, tuna and stuff like that..
    Tricia7188 wrote: »
    I soooo hear you on the sibling eating issue! I'm the only one of my siblings that has to watch what I eat, very annoying!
    As far as vegetables go, try to have an open mind (forget you used to hate broccoli or whatever other veg when you were younger, hard I know haha) and try a new veg every week or so, look up recipes and new ways of cooking them, it helps to change it up. Use spices! They're so useful in making vegetables tasty! I dont like spicy things so I use garlic powder, salt and pepper on most things and it does wonders. Roasting vegetables in the oven with a little oil makes most of them muuuuch yummier too. Roasted cauliflower is one that's totally different roasted than steamed! Or like bell peppers, I hate them raw but when they're cooked down til theyre soft with onions like in fajitas they're so good!
    I try to find a new recipe or 2 every week and it makes it fun, experimenting and trying things out.
    Buuuuut, if you really don't want to eat veggies, don't eat them. This is a lifestyle change and you can't/wont eat foods you hate forever. Veggies are worth the effort in trying to finds one you like though cause they keep you so full for so few calories compared to other foods.

• Tricia7188
    Options
    It varies alot. I love soup with lots of veggies and some chicken. I make it myself so I control the flavor and additives and most canned soup is too salty to me, and expensive. I like doing the Bell peppers cooked down with onions and I'll usually add some cooked ground beef or turkey to it for some protein and eat it with some quinoa or beans for healthy carbs. I like salad but only eat it a few times a week so I don't get burnt out, and when I do I make it when yummy toppings like avocado, tomato, shrimp, chicken, etc. I usually batch cook large amounts of one or 2 foods on weekends for my lunches. I use the MFP recipe function for this, its very useful. I usually eat the same main meal(like the soup or fajitas) I made over the weekend, throughout the week(and freeze some for later) but might have something different on the side, like cucumbers with a little Italian dressing or carrots and hummus or small salad. I eat 1-2 oz of almonds or walnuts (preweighed 1oz in a bag) for my fats, throughout the day.
    I do occasionally incorporate small portions of grains, but some people would still call it a "low carb" way of eating, which I don't really care what its called its just how im doing it lol. But you could incorporate small portions of wheat pasta or bread (or regular but the fiber in wheat will keep you fuller).
    But like I said before, I'd rather eat an apple or orange or grapefruit etc than a slice of bread. But that's just my preference Haha.
    This is just how I do it, you can take whatever tips work for you and tweak it so you can stick with it.
    I would open my mfp diary but I'm pretty bad about logging Feveryday, sometimes they're incomplete, etc. I write in a paper food journal so I use that usually cause I eat basically the same thing alot.
    As a rule now I don't force myself to eat things I don't like cause they're "healthy" or whatever, I've been trying new foods alot, and if I don't like them I don't get them again. It's made it much more enjoyable really loving the food I eat, and looking forward to it.