Foods for acid reflux

Options
Hi, everyone! Does anybody have any recipes for acid reflux sufferers???

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the why. I have had GERD for years, and it got to fairly dire symptoms. Do you know why you get reflux? For me, low fat helps a lot. Aside from fat, I also get set off my bread and dense food. Unlike many GERD sufferers, I'm find with spicy food and acidic food as long as my fat intake is low, so really - finding your triggers is the important thing.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi. do you know what triggers your reflux? Sugar and hi daily intake of carbs are my triggers. I was basically living off of zantac and tumms until i cut out all added sugar and cut way down on carbs ... i haven't had to take a zantac for over a month...can't tell you how much better it feels.. if you cut out or drastically cut down eating the foods that trigger you reflux it may help as well.
  • lisanfred
    lisanfred Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I think it's bread and sugar, ie chocolate especially, but I have seen a consultant that told me my gallbladder will need removing as this is why I have reflux. But having said that, even when I don't eat those trigger foods, I have attacks...been in lansaprasole for 5 years and take codeine for pain.
  • lisanfred
    lisanfred Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the why. I have had GERD for years, and it got to fairly dire symptoms. Do you know why you get reflux? For me, low fat helps a lot. Aside from fat, I also get set off my bread and dense food. Unlike many GERD sufferers, I'm find with spicy food and acidic food as long as my fat intake is low, so really - finding your triggers is the important thing.

Hi, I'm not too sure if spicy foods set it off, I'm just too scared to eat it! So since my gp said stay away from spicy and fatty foods, I haven't eaten them, which needless to say, has made me lose alot of weight as some days eat very minimal. I've also been told that sometimes the body does not produce enough acid or has too much, so getting the acid balance is key, but that's also very hard to adjust.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    There's a book you can read Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure https://www.amazon.com/dp/0982708319/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_P7YTwb2Q4NWND Also doing an elimination diet to find out whatbyou should stay away from might help.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Fennel and ginger are very good for reflux and trying to eat more vegetables in general. Pepper and garlic can exacerbate reflux. I struggled with reflux for years and was able to fix it by eating for proper digestion. I started taking digestive enzymes with lunch and dinner and a high quality soil based probiotic and eating a lot of greens not a ton of fat and eating light to heavy and fruit only on an empty stomach.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started to use organic apple cider vinegar w/the mother...i make a simple salad dressing with it.. i read it is very good for your digestion and helps balance out the acid in your stomach...I was very skeptical but tried it and now i swear by it... i use it everyday

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/12-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "Cleaning" up my diet in general went a long way towards eliminating my acid reflux. I used to pop Tums like candy all day long...now, I've had the same bottle in my cabinet for over a year.

Basically a lot of veggies, some fruit, whole grains, lean sourced protein, and a reasonable amount of dietary fat. I used to eat quite a bit of greasy, hi fat foods in large quantities...when I stopped doing that, everything was much better.