Newbie Alert and Hello

Hello everyone! I just started MFP on January 10th. It has been a little tricky for me as I started out trying to lose 2 lbs a week with a 1200 calorie goal, but was getting daily headaches, nausea and just feeling exhausted all the time. Since then, I read some posts that suggested that I should up my calories myself, that maybe they were not enough, so I went to 1400 and have not had anymore of the above symptoms. Only problem is now I am not seeing the loss I would like. I am 53 and have led a pretty sedentary life. I have worked as a medical clerk for over 20 yrs and being at a desk has really killed my fitness level. I have never been athletic - I am the nerdy book type who would always be found somewhere with a book rather than out doing something physical. Now I am really struggling with it all. My love of cooking has also played a huge role in my weight gain as well, as I learned to cook the old-fashioned way with lots of comfort food served in big portions. I joined the local YMCA and have been walking on the treadmill and stationary bike until I can build up my stamina. I have just recently joined the aerobics class which is 5 days a week for an hour. Everyone in the class is very supportive and the leader always helps us modify if we are struggling to keep up. I would love to meet other people around my age who are also struggling to lose 50 lbs or more. Maybe it would help to have some "buddies" to talk to - people who could relate to the struggle.